Driving ban for life after DUI? Drunk driving - from it is OK to execution, ect....

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Re: Texas man gets life sentence after third DWI conviction

...and this is why I LOVE TEXAS!!!! Nuff Said.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

It's one of the least objectionable applications of the three strike law that I've seen at least.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I can't say that I am overly sympathetic to this man. Every time he got behind the wheel he could have wiped out innocent people. He obviously didn't learn his lesson the first two times, and if he didn't get life in prison who's to say that he would have learned after his third time? And if he was still out there, drinking and driving, who knows what would have happened during his 4th DWI? Perhaps it would have occurred after he killed an entire family after smashing into their vehicle head-on. I would prefer him to remain in prison for the rest of his life than for that to occur. And someone who gets nailed with a DWI 3 times in more than likely to continue to do so, so the odds were good that it was only a matter of time before a fatality would occur.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

3 times stupid -- he is lucky in Texas they didn't fry him.

This brings-up an important question RE: the OP... Exactly what does a 'life sentence' really mean in terms of the number of years?

I'm thinking that it will mean about 10 years with a bunch of that shaved-off for good behavior and attending rehab services in the pen.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

This brings-up an important question RE: the OP... Exactly what does a 'life sentence' really mean in terms of the number of years?

I'm thinking that it will mean about 10 years with a bunch of that shaved-off for good behavior and attending rehab services in the pen.

In Texas? Isn't everything bigger in Texas? I've always got the impression that life means life there. Remember this is the country with the 400 year sentences, lol.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

In Texas? Isn't everything bigger in Texas? I've always got the impression that life means life there. Remember this is the country with the 400 year sentences, lol.

Certainly effective in that he won't be doing any more driving drunk or sober. It might be better if they could install a chip (maybe in his liver) that would disable any vehicle as soon as he climbs behind the steering wheel. Much cheaper in the long run.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

I believe that the motivation in handing down multi-hundred-year sentences is a result of the State wanting to hold someone in jail for the remainder of their natural life.

Just look at the number of murderers that walk after 7-10 years after having a life sentence imposed.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I believe that the motivation in handing down multi-hundred-year sentences is a result of the State wanting to hold someone in jail for the remainder of their natural life.

Just look at the number of murderers that walk after 7-10 years after having a life sentence imposed.

In the states? I thought it was just us that did moronic things like that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

There may be a method to the madness- for one it might just scare the sh*t out of them and second (I'm a great believer in there being an exception to every rule) there may be a few who are rehabillitated in a term shorter than "life".

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

I can't say that I am overly sympathetic to this man. Every time he got behind the wheel he could have wiped out innocent people. He obviously didn't learn his lesson the first two times, and if he didn't get life in prison who's to say that he would have learned after his third time? And if he was still out there, drinking and driving, who knows what would have happened during his 4th DWI? Perhaps it would have occurred after he killed an entire family after smashing into their vehicle head-on. I would prefer him to remain in prison for the rest of his life than for that to occur. And someone who gets nailed with a DWI 3 times in more than likely to continue to do so, so the odds were good that it was only a matter of time before a fatality would occur.

I know two guys that had impaired driving charges much more numerous than three. One had
between 10-12 & the other in the teens...oh yeah...& a third I guess in the teens. All three to
the best of my knowledge are all clean and sober at this point in their lives after decades of
run away alcoholism.

One is a brother of mine, and he was in & out of corrections so often that he was known on a
first name basis there, and they'd just set everything up for him when they'd see his name on
the list of prisoners arriving. He'd get dropped off, deloused & changed into prison garb, handed
a broom, etc...and would start working, and wouldn't even see his cell 'till the end of the day.

It's sad. Some can handle booze, and some just can't at all. Two of the three above I know well
and had the same pattern. Once any booze was in their system, they didn't need food or sleep
and could go for days with just booze. One of them drank himself into a coma on several
occasions, had 30+ feet of burned out intestines removed over the years, had family called in
to sign the paperwork to shut of life-support several times only to come out'a it to go and get
drunk again. Hellish existence for themselves and all around them. All three found bottom way
beyond where anyone else would think bottom must be, & are clean and sober today.

Life sentences for three strikes on DUI's? That's pretty heavy based upon the justification above
of "could'a" in that a drunk could'a run someone over but didn't....as they all happen to be equipped
to have also "could'a got someone pregnant" or whatever. I'm not sure where I stand on this issue.

Above was mentioned a CHIP in their livers that would immobilize a vehicle once they where behind
the wheel (an electro magnetic pulse perhaps, seeing as everything is computer reliant now?), and
as far fetched as that sounds, I think it's not that far fetched though the answer might be a technological
one but less extreme and closer to Breathalyzer type machines factory installed someday in all vehicles
that're less intrusive than today's versions.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I know two guys that had impaired driving charges much more numerous than three. One had
between 10-12 & the other in the teens...oh yeah...& a third I guess in the teens. All three to
the best of my knowledge are all clean and sober at this point in their lives after decades of
run away alcoholism.

Very good post, Ron. I've known/know several alcoholics, actually some of the most intelligent and compassionate people. Quite often they are Jekyll and Hyde personalities. I know once they take a life all that becomes secondary as it should. There is nothing sadder than to see a good person destroyed by alcohol/drugs. I would really like to see the technology where these people can be prevented from driving, but free to lead productive lives. That would be a win/win.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Might have been easier to just take away his license permanently after the second time. That way when the third time comes around no one would be surprised by the result. In general I find many people who get DUIs get off very lightly. This is just another extreme from that. If he had been in an accident and someone died as a result I could see life in prison. It seems a bit odd to give someone who got a DUI the same sentence that a murderer would get unless the DUI resulted in a death.

I'd say the same about sentences here. I really dont understand why so many people are allowed to drive again after a DUI conviction. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege which can be revoked if a person uses it irresponsibly.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Taking away their license doesn't prevent drunk driving. There was one recently didn't even have plates because he had no license. Drove drunk anyway. Locking them up at least protects the rest of us. The alternative would be to shoot them. The choice is between a drunk's right to drink and drive or everyone else's right to not worry about being killed by said drunk.