Legalizing Pot make need a closer look.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
C.B.C. radio interviewed Geoff Courtnall (career N.H.L. player) today. Geoff lost his father at age 15 due to suicide from mental health issues. Years later as a result of this Geoff and his brothers raised money to establish the Archie Courtnall Mental Health Centre in Victoria, in which Geoff plays a very active role. One major cause of mental health issues is marijuana (can't recall the name of the syndrome) but it is very bad and makes people desperately ill. Perhaps people should listen more closely to people like Geoff than those who want to promote the legalization of pot for their own enjoyment. One more thing, I heard a doctor saying several years ago that while pot does give some relief for some medical conditions, there are much more effective drugs on the market to accomplish the same thing. I personally know next to nothing on the matter but I do know that more and more people are suffering from mental issues so to me it's just plain common sense that the fewer mind altering drugs in use the better.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
My problem with the law is that it is inconsistent. Alcohol and tobacco are known to kill thousands every year, marijuana could not be any worse. Ultimately whether it comes to smoking, drinking or enjoying marijuana I think it should be up to the individual to decide what they're willing to live with. If they're willing to risk their health and cut their life short with such things, let them. They're paying more into the healthcare system to compensate for it through the high taxes on these products.

Either ban them all or allow them all. Its the inconsistency which annoys me.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Those that feel they need THC can go ahead and always will. Kind of tiresome listening to the trite justifications though.
My wife has had MS for 10 years. With it comes omnipresent pain so she tried pot, real potent stuff. She said it muddled her head some but did not really help with the pain so said pizz on it. I used it also when dealing with extreme sciatica due to spinal stenosis. Very little help if any.

It has now been proven to reduce the long term IQ of teens who start using it before age 16 ish by up to 8 full points. It has also been shown to bring on bipolar much younger, more quickly, and severely in those prone to it. I worked with too many potheads who were so distracted and sanguine that i worried about production and safety continually.

One member of my family uses pot heavily, ostensibly to control her bipolar issues. Fact is, if she would keep seeing her shrink and taking the meds prescribed instead of the typical bipolar tendency to think they are smarter than the world and self medicate, she would be much better off. The inevitable crashes have gotten really old over the years.
I just do not have much use for any drugs other than prescription occasionally, including alcohol. I am not a teetotaller and enjoy a drink or two but never use it as a crutch.

Since i cannot change the world i will sit back and watch the show to see if it will be a tragedy or triumph.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I've never seen any proof cannabis leads to suicide. Perhaps that youth was predisposed to commit it and the use of cannabis was only a symptom, not a cause.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I've never seen any proof cannabis leads to suicide. Perhaps that youth was predisposed to commit it and the use of cannabis was only a symptom, not a cause.
Someone finally gets it.
I spent 3 months in group addiction counseling last year when I was thinking of a career move,it was mainly natives and lots would not be there the next week for the group.
All of them drank and did drugs and mainly because of mental illness.
It was a really hard thing to go to those meetings everyday and listen to everyones stories when the sweetgrass ceremony was done and the eagle feather passed around..

Last edited:

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle

Agreed, that seems more logical. Clinical depression however can be worsened by many drugs. THC may be one of them in some cases.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Agreed, that seems more logical. Clinical depression however can be worsened by many drugs. THC may be one of them in some cases.
Nothing compared to effexor.
It saved my life in a dark time.
When I quit the smoke.

Yes Gerry,those were my meds.

Anyone who has gone through depression or medication for it knows the hell hole it is.

And I am not alone.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My problem with the law is that it is inconsistent. Alcohol and tobacco are known to kill thousands every year, marijuana could not be any worse. Ultimately whether it comes to smoking, drinking or enjoying marijuana I think it should be up to the individual to decide what they're willing to live with. If they're willing to risk their health and cut their life short with such things, let them. They're paying more into the healthcare system to compensate for it through the high taxes on these products.

Sometimes though it's selfish individuals that make choices that affect many besides themselves. Sometimes one family member can adversely affect up to 8 people.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Sometimes though it's selfish individuals that make choices that affect many besides themselves. Sometimes one family member can adversely affect up to 8 people.

I dont find it selfish,maybe the 8 peeps affected should have paid attention to the warning signs.
We dont because mental illness is a stereotype no one wants to address or even think about untill it happens to them.

Takes a lot of guts to finally make the desicion to die.
I lose a good friend a year to suicide.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Banning may be a little strong as it's human nature to do what we are told not to. Sensible people will listen to the likes of Geoff Courtnall who has seen the whole gamut.

Does it have to be suicide? Isn't desperately ill bad enough?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Banning may be a little strong as it's human nature to do what we are told not to. Sensible people will listen to the likes of Geoff Courtnall who has seen the whole gamut.

Does it have to be suicide? Isn't desperately ill bad enough?

I think he is saying some peeps are using cannabis or other drugs to help fight the symptoms of the disease they have which is depression or mental illness.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I dont find it selfish,maybe the 8 peeps affected should have paid attention to the warning signs.
We dont because mental illness is a stereotype no one wants to address or even think about untill it happens to them.

Takes a lot of guts to finally make the desicion to die.
I lose a good friend a year to suicide.

You don't think stealing from your relatives and lying about it is selfish?

I think he is saying some peeps are using cannabis or other drugs to help fight the symptoms of the disease they have which is depression or mental illness.

From what I can gather a lot of pot use is to mitigate pain.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You don't think stealing from your relatives and lying about it is selfish?

From what I can gather a lot of pot use is to mitigate pain.
A crack or heroin addict would steal their mothers gold fillings for a hit,Thats not selfish,thats addiction.
You have to hit bottom before you can even think of getting out of the hole.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Nothing compared to effexor.
It saved my life in a dark time.
When I quit the smoke.

Yes Gerry,those were my meds.

Anyone who has gone through depression or medication for it knows the hell hole it is.

And I am not alone.

What part of Ignore don't you understand? Yet again, you bring Gerry's name up and he hasn't even posted in the thread? For one who complains heartily about people trolling, you seem to do it quite a bit as well.