Replacing a toilet. What an ugly job.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In Nanaimo we are on a water meter so we noticed when our water consumption climbed. A valve inside one of the toilet tanks was leaking and the water was running all the time. I also noticed a small crack in the bottom of the tank. I decided to replace the whole toilet and while we were at it we would switch to one of the new dual flush toilets that use a fraction of the water the older toilets
use.

I estimated that I could do the job in a couple hours at the most. So, off we go to Rona's to buy a new toilet. No problem there.
It took about an hour to empty the old toilet an remove it. Cleaning up and changing the floor flange
took another three hours. Preparing the new toilet for installation took another two hours. Installing the new toilet and finishing the job took a further two hours.

The only reason I took on this job was that about twenty years ago I changed a toilet and it took about two hours(everything went perfectly) and I thought I could do it again. I probably couldn't get a job as a plumber......and I wouldn't want one. Next time we call a plumber.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
The only reason I took on this job was that about twenty years ago I changed a toilet and it took about two hours(everything went perfectly) and I thought I could do it again. I probably couldn't get a job as a plumber......and I wouldn't want one. Next time we call a plumber.
Could be worse you could be a doctor trying to be an expert in plumbing,electricity,carpentry etc. :lol:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I own rental property and have beome quite proficient at removing and installing toilets. Some times it's easier than other times but it's way cheaper to do it myself than to all a plumber.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Do you get cash back on the efficient toilets in BC?

Yes. There is a fifty dollar rebate. You just have to take the old toilet to recycling.
There is a significant saving from using less water. Unfortunately, this has led to replacing
the other two toilets in the house.....I should be getting better at it...:roll:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I replaced ours a couple years back and took advantage of the rebate. Great idea to motivate people.. We are on metered water too and it has made a difference. Even though it is low flow, we still do the "if it's yellow let it mellow" routine anyway. The one thing that really made our water bill plummet by 50%? The teenage girl moving out.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
I replaced ours a couple years back and took advantage of the rebate. Great idea to motivate people.. We are on metered water too and it has made a difference. Even though it is low flow, we still do the "if it's yellow let it mellow" routine anyway. The one thing that really made our water bill plummet by 50%? The teenage girl moving out.
Kinda like what Betty said "Don't flush for a pee"

funny,in montreal people freaked out when they try to introduce water meter.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Metered water is cheaper than paying a flat tax which encourages over use.
Some bitched about it thinking it is an hidden way to tax more.

personally i think it would put an end to all the water some jerks wastes when they washed their cars with a high powered hose,or the other idiots who instead of using a broom to sweep the driveway or the sidewalk,wash the dirt out with ****load of water.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Some bitched about it thinking it is an hidden way to tax more.

personally i think it would put an end to all the water some jerks wastes when they washed their cars with a high powered hose,or the other idiots who instead of using a broom to sweep the driveway or the sidewalk,wash the dirt out with ****load of water.
If I had free water I'd be wasting thousands of litres a day in summer for air conditioning.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

That's the truth. This is the first house we have had on a water meter. It has been a rude awakening.....No more 1/2
hour showers. We not only pay to heat the water, we pay for the water we use, which is fair I guess...:smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's the truth. This is the first house we have had on a water meter. It has been a rude awakening.....No more 1/2
hour showers. We not only pay to heat the water, we pay for the water we use, which is fair I guess...:smile:
Is a portion of the billing for wastewater based on a % of what was metered?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
In Nanaimo we are on a water meter so we noticed when our water consumption climbed. A valve inside one of the toilet tanks was leaking and the water was running all the time. I also noticed a small crack in the bottom of the tank. I decided to replace the whole toilet and while we were at it we would switch to one of the new dual flush toilets that use a fraction of the water the older toilets
use.

I estimated that I could do the job in a couple hours at the most. So, off we go to Rona's to buy a new toilet. No problem there.
It took about an hour to empty the old toilet an remove it. Cleaning up and changing the floor flange
took another three hours. Preparing the new toilet for installation took another two hours. Installing the new toilet and finishing the job took a further two hours.

Waterless toilet.

Garden shed from Canuck Tire = $107.99, shovel = $12.99, saw = $14.99, stool = $8.49, roll of buttwipe = 82¢, bag of lime = $9.75.
Dig hole in ground in backyard, erect garden shed, saw hole in floor over hole in ground, saw hole in stool, perch stool over hole in floor, perch hole in butt over hole in stool, drop your load, use buttwipe, drop in hole, add a scoop of lime in hole, go have fun.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Waterless toilet.

Garden shed from Canuck Tire = $107.99, shovel = $12.99, saw = $14.99, stool = $8.49, roll of buttwipe = 82¢, bag of lime = $9.75.
Dig hole in ground in backyard, erect garden shed, saw hole in floor over hole in ground, saw hole in stool, perch stool over hole in floor, perch hole in butt over hole in stool, drop your load, use buttwipe, drop in hole, add a scoop of lime in hole, go have fun.
You forgot,freezing you nutsack in winter: Priceless.
;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just a kind of post script here: The dual flush toilet I installed has a low flush of
4.1 liters and a high flush of 6 liters. The old toilet had a flush of 13.8 liters.

We will be keeping the other two toilets but changing the mechanism in the tank
to give similar dual flush performance. The kit to do this costs about twenty eight dollars
at Home Hardware.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Something the DIY crowd should keep in mind. There is basically no warranty when you do it yourself. If the wax seal leaks...installation fault. If the seal between tank and bowl leak...installation fault. you will find, after the fact, that most failures will be put down as being an installation error.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Something the DIY crowd should keep in mind. There is basically no warranty when you do it yourself. If the wax seal leaks...installation fault. If the seal between tank and bowl leak...installation fault. you will find, after the fact, that most failures will be put down as being an installation error.

You must be a plumber gerry. I called a half dozen plumbers but none could tell me how much it would cost or
when they could get here. Who needs that kind of service?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
with water efficient toilets you often have to flush the toilet more than once to make sure that all the **** goes down. doesn't that defeat the purpose? :confused: