Grande Prairie , Alberta

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
O.K. just returned from a run to Grande Prairie, Alberta.. I started a thread on my phone that sorta sums up my opinion of the cities inhabitants, but becuase I could not post more via my cell phone, it was deemed trolling..

In case some of you don't know, I'm a truck driver and go all over North America.. see lots of places and lots of people.

Seems every young kid in GP has a 4x4 with truck stacks in the bed of the truck, and uses the main drag for a private raceway, never mind the families driving on the road.. dam red necks.

Go into the corner store, or McDonalds and the cashiers are impolite.. they act as if they are doing you a favor by taking your money for you..

As far as a man's word.. not worth much I found out.. bold face lie to your face, then pretend they didn't even say it.. or ignore you.

Sum it up, bad experiences, one after another in Grand Prairie.. in one day.. :(

I am not sure what the issue, this is not normal for Alberta.. most Albertans are friendly, and go out of their way to assist you..

Maybe the men are pissed they are married to bush women up there, who don't shave..???? LOL dunno. Or to much inbreeding.. 8O

With that said, there is some of the most beautiful country up there..

My morning drive started with an awsome sunrise..

On the way up between Whitecourt and ValleyView I saw lots of bears, and unfortunately one dead.. lots of deer, but being I was driving on "Moose Row" I figured I would see at least one moose..

Well I got to see ONE Moose, it seems the moose are Orange up in that territory.. lol

There plenty of fracking and plenty of farms.. seems lots of money flowing over the yellow fields of Alberta...

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Worked for Big Eagle.. is that what you're asking Lone Wolf?? Precision and Trail Blazer.. got tired of living away from home and chasing a gas rig from lease to lease.. around the triple nickel area and on the military base.. Suffield.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
GP has always been an unfriendly place. I say that because I was a resident of
Peace River Alta for a few years at the radio station up there. Go to Grimshaw,
High Prairie, Spirit River and so on , very friendly people and no problems what
ever. GP, not so much. I think it could be explained this way. Grand Prairie is
the Big City of the many farm towns. the small towns are home to people who
have lived there for generations and they are part of the landscape. Folks from
Grand Prairie are people from as they say in Cape Breton (they are people from
away) and that makes the difference right there. They are folks from somewhere
heading for somewhere else in the future.
Its unfortunate but it does stand out. I used to get gas there and that was it I
tried to stay out of that town due to some bad experiences myself.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I wasn't sure what you asked.. where did you play?? Worked?? Dunno.. can you be more specific as to your question?

I was working, delivering a load.. not playing in GP.
Do I write like Ann Landers or something?

If you're just passing through town, how do you make such judgements about the town and the people who live there? If you chimed off "How great I am" ... yeah, you'd piss off the locals. Some of them aren't the friendliest sort - like most places that have outsiders with attitude passing through.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Lonewolf unfortunately Boomer has a point here, I travelled through this town
a lot years ago and it appears to be the same now as it was then. I was in the
radio business and we did hockey games and other sports events in all those
towns from CKYL Peace River. We learned to try to avoid Grand Prairie and
spend our money else where. The one difference was the sports minded folks,
we were always treated well in the sport venues but in the towns business area
not good.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Do I write like Ann Landers or something?

If you're just passing through town, how do you make such judgements about the town and the people who live there? If you chimed off "How great I am" ... yeah, you'd piss off the locals. Some of them aren't the friendliest sort - like most places that have outsiders with attitude passing through.

I had to spend the night.. so not just passing through..

Went out for dinner, purchased fuel, stayed at Husky Truck stop, and delivered my load.. and had a bad experience at 3 places.. just seemed a general attitude of people I bumped into.. cold, short, unfriendly.. and at the gas bar not to bright either.. gave her $5 for my purchase of chips and a soda.. she gave me $5 in change back.. lol

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Maybe that's why they are so gruppy up there..lol It's the water!!

Here is a pic of a typical Grande Prairie pickup truck.. lol Obviously, a rig pig with more money than brains..

When I worked on the rigs, everylast penny went into land..
This is called smoking coal.
Crazy kids.

My niece and her friends are all into this stuff,they make good money and kids with extra cash do crazy things.

That trucks probably running around $70,000.

Last edited:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Well as someone who lived in and around for GP for about 7 years I have to admit that while you paint an unflattering picture, its not altogether inaccurate.

As a trucker, I will hazard a guess that while you see a fair slice of what a place is about, you don't see as much as you think you do. A lot of people in GP tend to be very focused on what they are doing and have little time for anyone else. Its a work town and very "task oriented" in a lot of ways: you tend to socialize with the same people you work with, if you didn't grow up there. The locals have seen the boom-bust cycle of the oil patch and on a subconscious level (if not a fully conscious one) try to distance themselves from the next bust. And although its not quite as bad as Ft Mac, GP has seen sustained growth that is pretty much astronomical, thus straining the ability of the service industries to get good people: they pretty much are happy to see a body that shows up within an hr of when they are supposed to, 4 out of 5 days in a work week. That's not to say everyone or even most people in GP aren't friendly or decent people, but it is almost schizophrenic in the way they deal with non-locals. I still maintain that the best thing I took out of GP, when I was transferred to Calgary, was the cat I adopted from the SPCA (13 years ago and she's still awesome :) ).

And sorry DG but I never found Peace River to be much different, except that it seemed to suffer from more delusions of grandeur (because it shared the name of the area's largest river?).

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Well as someone who lived in and around for GP for about 7 years I have to admit that while you paint an unflattering picture, its not altogether inaccurate.

As a trucker, I will hazard a guess that while you see a fair slice of what a place is about, you don't see as much as you think you do. A lot of people in GP tend to be very focused on what they are doing and have little time for anyone else. Its a work town and very "task oriented" in a lot of ways: you tend to socialize with the same people you work with, if you didn't grow up there. The locals have seen the boom-bust cycle of the oil patch and on a subconscious level (if not a fully conscious one) try to distance themselves from the next bust. And although its not quite as bad as Ft Mac, GP has seen sustained growth that is pretty much astronomical, thus straining the ability of the service industries to get good people: they pretty much are happy to see a body that shows up within an hr of when they are supposed to, 4 out of 5 days in a work week. That's not to say everyone or even most people in GP aren't friendly or decent people, but it is almost schizophrenic in the way they deal with non-locals. I still maintain that the best thing I took out of GP, when I was transferred to Calgary, was the cat I adopted from the SPCA (13 years ago and she's still awesome :) ).

And sorry DG but I never found Peace River to be much different, except that it seemed to suffer from more delusions of grandeur (because it shared the name of the area's largest river?).

I loved my time in G.P. except for the drive.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
That trucks probably running around $70,000.

$70,000 for a truck.. LOL Retarded!!

THIS is how I would spend $70,000 -

1. Buy a condo, with wood burning firplace, washer dryer, HV/AC central close to all the sports centers for $45,000 USD (Arlington BallPark, Cowboys Stadium)

1105 Calico Lane #1621 Arlington, TX 76011-8889 - Dallas Real Estate | Dallas Homes for Sale by Ebby Halliday Realtors

2. Then I would buy a second hand truck for $3500 USD.. does pretty much the same sh*t as that $70,000 dollar truck,minus the smoke signals..

3. Then I would buy a some cheap land at an auction.. for $1,000 USD

4. Pay some Mexican guys to come in chop down the trees,clean up the yard and build a shed for $7000 USD

Oh look I still have money left over..

I guess I can go to Florida for vacation, feed Pizza to the Gators at the truck stop outside Orlando..

while doing what comes natural...

with my hot stripper girl friend.. (half my age)

:p

Because I can still afford her..lol ;)

Nothing worse than dating a stripper.. buy me this, buy me that..

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
$70,000 for a truck.. LOL Retarded!!

THIS is how I would spend $70,000 -

1. Buy a condo, with wood burning firplace, washer dryer, HV/AC central close to all the sports centers for $45,000 USD (Arlington BallPark, Cowboys Stadium)

1105 Calico Lane #1621 Arlington, TX 76011-8889 - Dallas Real Estate | Dallas Homes for Sale by Ebby Halliday Realtors

2. Then I would buy a second hand truck for $3500 USD.. does pretty much the same sh*t as that $70,000 dollar truck,minus the smoke signals..

3. Then I would buy a some cheap land at an auction.. for $1,000 USD

4. Pay some Mexican guys to come in chop down the trees,clean up the yard and build a shed for $7000 USD

Oh look I still have money left over..

I guess I can go to Florida for vacation, feed Pizza to the Gators at the truck stop outside Orlando..

while doing what comes natural...

with my hot stripper girl friend.. (half my age)

:p

Because I can still afford her..lol ;)

Nothing worse than dating a stripper.. buy me this, buy me that..

In 05 my truck was $59.000,next week it was $49.000 but i allready paid for it then.