Canadian Flag: Represents The Nation? Or The Government?

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... americans from many walks of life embrace the american flag as a sign of non-partisan patriotism regardless of their feelings for the government. the american flag can be used commercially and it often is, yet it doesn't usually mean an affiliation with the government ...

... is it the same with the canadian flag? is the canadian flag a symbol of cool and freedom like the stars and stripes? or is the canadian flag a symbol of the corrupt, failed canadian political regime that's been around for over a century now and should be leaving?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
... americans from many walks of life embrace the american flag as a sign of non-partisan patriotism regardless of their feelings for the government. the american flag can be used commercially and it often is, yet it doesn't usually mean an affiliation with the government ...

... is it the same with the canadian flag? is the canadian flag a symbol of cool and freedom like the stars and stripes? or is the canadian flag a symbol of the corrupt, failed canadian political regime that's been around for over a century now and should be leaving?

I see that someone stole your slinky.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007

gee wiz, ya had to ask today?

of course it's a symbol for all the people and not just the liberals that brought it in. and that's how I think most Canadians view it. Just because the government puts it on everything they do doesn't mean they can hijack the meaning of it from the hearts of those it represents.

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
Just because the government puts it on everything they do doesn't mean they can hijack the meaning of it from the hearts of those it represents.
... that's true, it is on most, if not all, government documentation ...

... question: does the federal government own the trademark on the symbol seen on the canadian flag?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Canadian Flag belongs to us all not just the Government of the day.
Its like saying I do or don't like a particular Prime Minister but I respect
the office of the PM.
Besides the govenment knows how apathetic we are so they put it on
everything so we will remember what it looks like.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
for rational members of the citizenry, it's a symbol of our citizens, the nation in its entirety. For the rest of you, it's a government symbol. and worse, a spy device. Give all signs of patriotism of a wide berth, they're watching you. Please avoid any areas with a flag. Hide. and leave the rest of us alone m'kay?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
for rational members of the citizenry, it's a symbol of our citizens, the nation in its entirety. For the rest of you, it's a government symbol. and worse, a spy device. Give all signs of patriotism of a wide berth, they're watching you. Please avoid any areas with a flag. Hide. and leave the rest of us alone m'kay?

I wish it did work as an effective repellant against the irrational! I'd be draped in it morning, noon, and night!

Also red is a good look for me, LOL.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Yes I'm sure it was designed to be a symbol of corruption and failure. A maple leaf is pure evil.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The official ceremony inaugurating the new Canadian flag was held on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on February 15, 1965, with Governor General Georges Vanier, Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson, the members of the Cabinet and thousands of Canadians in attendance.

The Canadian Red Ensign, bearing the Union Jack and the shield of the royal arms of Canada, was lowered and then, on the stroke of noon, our new maple leaf flag was raised. The crowd sang the national anthem O Canada followed by the royal anthem God Save the Queen.

The following words, spoken on that momentous day by the Honourable Maurice Bourget, Speaker of the Senate, added further symbolic meaning to our flag: "The flag is the symbol of the nation's unity, for it, beyond any doubt, represents all the citizens of Canada without distinction of race, language, belief or opinion."

That's the beauty of it. The simplicity is difficult to spin
with any bias. It just looks darn happy and positive.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Governments come and go, Kres.............but our flag will always wave proudly over our land. And as far as cool goes, I am putting together an entire wardrobe of Canadian flag clothes. Always proud to fly the Maple Leaf and I have always liked the simplicity of the flag.

I also fly the flag on my car and have front and back Canadian flag bumper stickers. I am one proud Canadian, no matter who is in power. We have a great land and wonderful people here in Canada and I think sometimes we forget that.

P.S. Belated Happy Canada Day. :smile: :canada: