Which Laws Would YOU Like To See The Lawyers Shoot Down Next?

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... the lawyers have been going wild lately shooting down canadian laws -- prostitution laws, money laundering laws and now the laws that ban assisted suicide. but the thing is, the elimination of these laws don't really have mass appeal to the general public ...

... if the lawyers are truly keen on getting support from the public for their profession they should forget about striking down these special interest laws and they should instead eliminate some laws that would actually mean something to most of us ...

... for instance, why don't the lawyers apply to erase the laws that force us to pay income tax? we could all really get behind that one, eh! or why not apply to delete the laws that force kids to go to school?

... what do you think? which laws would you like to see the lawyers knock down next?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
... the lawyers have been going wild lately shooting down canadian laws -- prostitution laws, money laundering laws and now the laws that ban assisted suicide. but the thing is, the elimination of these laws don't really have mass appeal to the general public ...

... if the lawyers are truly keen on getting support from the public for their profession they should forget about striking down these special interest laws and they should instead eliminate some laws that would actually mean something to most of us ...

... for instance, why don't the lawyers apply to erase the laws that force us to pay income tax? we could all really get behind that one, eh! or why not apply to delete the laws that force kids to go to school?

... what do you think? which laws would you like to see the lawyers knock down next?
Lawyers haven't knock down any laws. The law did.

A law has be able to be applied within the confines of the Charter. If those laws were in contradiction to the statutes of the Charter, which is the supreme law of the land, the supreme law of the land knocked down those laws. Not lawyers. They just pointed out how certain laws were in contradiction to the supreme law of the land.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
wizard;1608030 ... what do you think? which laws would you like to see the lawyers knock down next?[/QUOTE said:
At risk of promoting something contrary to basic human rights, the word "human" being taken with a pound of salt, I'd like to see a law knocked down that allows goofs on public forums generating and promoting anything that is pure bullsh*t. :smile:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
At risk of promoting something contrary to basic human rights, the word "human" being taken with a pound of salt, I'd like to see a law knocked down that allows goofs on public forums generating and promoting anything that is pure bullsh*t. :smile:
Other than the word goofs, great post, lol.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Lawyers haven't knock down any laws. The law did.

A law has be able to be applied within the confines of the Charter. If those laws were in contradiction to the statutes of the Charter, which is the supreme law of the land, the supreme law of the land knocked down those laws. Not lawyers. They just pointed out how certain laws were in contradiction to the supreme law of the land.

Logic will get you nowhere, you do know this. ;)

Lol.

That would be freedom of speech. Sorry but that better not be going anywhere, B.S. notwithstanding.

I disagree. Just basic online news polls I've seen show support at around 75% for the elimination of the ban on assisted suicide, for example. Perhaps you meant to say that they don't appeal to you.

They don't need public support, they aren't elected. And they aren't eliminating any laws, I will direct you to Bear's post now.

All income tax? So, no more government services of any kind then. Like healthcare or education. Oh wait, you've addressed that. I guess we won't be needing any laws regarding income tax after the next generation is so hopeless uneducated and illiterate that they won't be able to hold a job.

In all honesty, I think they should decriminalize marijuana. If only because the time and resources spent on it far outweigh any benefits derived.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A person cannot get through a day without breaking at least one law. The problem is that there are thousands of laws on the books that don't even pertain to today's reality. I think a council should be struck with the sole purpose of wading through all the laws on the books and recommending which ones should be tossed, amended or revised and which are still pertinent. The law needs to be streamlined to be useful in today's world.

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
A person cannot get through a day without breaking at least one law. The problem is that there are thousands of laws on the books that don't even pertain to today's reality. I think a council should be struck with the sole purpose of wading through all the laws on the books and recommending which ones should be tossed, amended or revised and which are still pertinent. The law needs to be streamlined to be useful in today's world.
... yes, excellent points!

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... yes, they do pile on more and more laws but we never hear of them eliminating any of 'em ...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

You could always use the argument that World War One is over.

Of course, Revenue Canada isn't a lawyer....