Tuition protesters trash office of Quebec education minister

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Tuition protesters trash office of Quebec education minister

Quebec's student tuition protest turned violent again Friday as a group of vandals smashed windows and trashed the Montreal office of the education minister.

One person was arrested in the melee.

Police say about 15 people charged the office of Line Beauchamp's in her Bourassa-Sauve riding Friday morning and did the damage before returning to a group of about 40 other students nearby.

The vandalism comes a day after provincial police arrested a man for allegedly threatening a Quebec cabinet minister.

Two other investigations are underway involving alleged threats against two ministers, but police refuse to name them.

But some reports have identified them as Beauchamp and Justice Minister Jean-Marc Fournier.

The University of Montreal was also in court Friday seeking an injunction after several hundred students stormed the institution Thursday and caused extensive damage inside.

That attack occurred even though the university had a previous injunction preventing protesters from blocking access to the building, CTV Montreal's Stephane Giroux reported Friday.

Lawyers for the university were back in court attempting to get a more wide-ranging injunction, he said.

"That debate was going on all morning and the injunction goes as far as requesting that not one single student be allowed to demonstrate within 25 metres of the university and they don't interfere with anyone trying to get in," Giroux said.

Student associations and even some teachers were in court fighting the injunction, arguing it violates freedom of speech laws, he said.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Democratic government by minority ( and never yet contributing) protesters. Ah the academic life, to sleep, perhaps to dream........while the real working people pay the bills.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Democratic government by minority ( and never yet contributing) protesters. Ah the academic life, to sleep, perhaps to dream........while the real working people pay the bills.

I think most of Quebec actually prefers publicly funding education to keep tuition levels low.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Indeed, but they cant afford it. I'd love to be able to go to school in Quebec. Their tuition is half of what mine is.

Is tuition the only spot where they can cut?
Can't they raise taxes?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
real simple.

Announce that from this day forward, tuition will be free.

Cut the available spaces by 70%, and base entrance solely on competitive scores on University Entrance Exams

If they did this Canada wide, a university education might actually mean something.

Or, as an alternative, make the top 30% completely subsidized, keep the same number of spaces, and charge full price for the other 70%.

Oh, as an aside.....these idiots are obviously not paying enough for their education....or they'd all be in class, getting their money's worth.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
High tuition means less beer money for frat parties.

Quebec tuition fees are the lowest in the country. Charet should have made that point early on.
My grandson will be starting his second year at UBC this fall. The costs for the first year were
just over twenty two thousand.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Quebec tuition fees are the lowest in the country. Charet should have made that point early on.
My grandson will be starting his second year at UBC this fall. The costs for the first year were

I've said it before, I'll say it again: send your child abroad for education. For half that amount your grandson could have been living in a good apartment in any of the major capitals in Europe with tuition paid to a historical school.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

I don't see why tuition rates have to be the same across Canada.

How is that validation for lower tuition rates in your own province? If the people of that province decide they want lower tuition, the government can raise taxes and they can have lower tuition.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why would they want to? What's special about Quebec's students that warrents special treatment that the rest of the provice should pay for?
Didn't you hear? Fuzzy believe the rights of the students, or protesters as it were, take precedence over everyone and every thing else.