Conservative 'Robocalls' tricked voters in last election


CDNBear
#481
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Let's wait while JLM consults his journal for notes. Sorry JLM, couldn't resist



Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I don't know but I bet it was a damn sight cheaper!

I'd say it was probably relative.
 
SLM
+1
#482
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

It is really sad that the Conservatives are playing coy about this and not willing to produce their calls publicly, as the NDP and Liberals offered. It says to the public, they have something to hide..

Not necessarily. It's really no different than an accused opting not to take the stand in his/her own trial. People read into things. Not divulging and hiding are two different things.

Believe me I'm no more a fan of the Conservatives than I am of any other party. But that is a leap in reasoning.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Was it any better when it was run by Farmers and Railwaymen?

There were less robot telemarketers. That was one good thing.
 
DaSleeper
+2
#483
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Was it any better when it was run by Farmers and Railwaymen?

The farmer's almanach only predicts temperature......not elections
 
JLM
#484
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post



I'd say it was probably relative.

Ya don't think farmers and railway men are more honest?
 
SLM
+1
#485
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

The farmer's almanach only predicts temperature......not elections

If there's no info in there about polling stations, it may just be the way to go. Solve the problem before it starts.
 
Goober
+1
#486
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

As I mentioned this story has legs - regardless of Polls -

It appears more stink just surfaced like a dead rotting fish.

Robocall company payments not declared by the Tories, can't explain why | News | National Post

OTTAWA — Elections Canada investigators probing the robocalls scandal are interviewing workers on the Conservative campaign in Guelph, Ont., and trying to determine why payments made to an Edmonton voice-broadcasting company were not declared in financial reports filed with the agency.

In recent days, the agency has spoken to at least three workers from the campaign of Conservative candidate Marty Burke, including the official agent responsible for ensuring the campaign’s financial report was accurate.

Elections Canada wants to know why the costs of automated calls the campaign has admitted sending out never appeared in the campaign’s expense report, as required by law.

Andrew Prescott, the deputy campaign manager, said he is co-operating with the investigation and handing over bills he received from RackNine Inc. for a series of robocalls promoting Burke events during the election.

The same company was used to transmit misleading Elections Canada calls on election day.

Meanwhile, Elections Canada is also investigating records at PayPal, an online payment and money transfer service, the Globe and Mail has reported, and is using a court order to ask the company to hand over information as a part of the Guelph investigation.

Burke’s unsuccessful campaign against Liberal incumbent Frank Valeriote was managed by Ken Morgan, a former candidate for city council in Guelph. Burke has not spoken publicly since the robocalls controversy and has not responded to emails requesting comment. Postmedia was unable to reach Morgan.

It is unclear why the Burke campaign did not report the costs Prescott said he submitted. Failing to declare campaign expenses is a breach of the Elections Act.

The detailed expense claims submitted to the Burke campaign included receipts for everything from local advertising costs, gasoline and pizza for campaign workers. But the Burke campaign’s accountant, Abdul-Qayum Ali, said he never received any invoices for RackNine.

Bear - Here is the story - I posted it early this am.
 
Tonington
#487
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

The farmer's almanach only predicts temperature......not elections

And it only correctly identifies the sign of preciptiation and temperature in it's forecasts 51.9 per cent of the time and 50.7 per cent of the time respectively, which is for all intents and purposes, no better than chance at 50-50.
Online NewsHour: Forum with Weatherman Ed O'Lenic -- February 2, 1996 (external - login to view)
In the October 1981 issue of Weatherwise, pages 212-215, John E. Walsh and David Allen performed a check on the accuracy of 60 monthly forecasts of temperature and precipitation from the Old Farmer's Almanac at 32 stations in the U.S. They found that 50.7 percent of the monthly temperature forecasts and 51.9 percent of the precipitation forecasts verified with the correct sign. These may be compared with the 50 percent success rate expected by chance.
 
CDNBear
+2
#488
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Ya don't think farmers and railway men are more honest?

Given the stories I've read of graft, back in the day, no, not really.

Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Bear - Here is the story - I posted it early this am.

Ya, that's one Conservatives campaign. Boomer made it sound like the CPC had.

Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

And it only correctly identifies the sign of preciptiation and temperature in it's forecasts 51.9 per cent of the time and 50.7 per cent of the time respectively, which is for all intents and purposes, no better than chance at 50-50.
Online NewsHour: Forum with Weatherman Ed O'Lenic -- February 2, 1996 (external - login to view)

In the October 1981 issue of Weatherwise, pages 212-215, John E. Walsh and David Allen performed a check on the accuracy of 60 monthly forecasts of temperature and precipitation from the Old Farmer's Almanac at 32 stations in the U.S. They found that 50.7 percent of the monthly temperature forecasts and 51.9 percent of the precipitation forecasts verified with the correct sign. These may be compared with the 50 percent success rate expected by chance.

Geezus! Stop being so cerebral! LOL
 
Tonington
+1
#489
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Geezus! Stop being so cerebral! LOL

A bear is a bear, can't fault it for being a bear. I yam what I yam, or some such thing
 
CDNBear
#490
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

A bear is a bear, can't fault it for being a bear. I yam what I yam, or some such thing



Touche!
 
DaSleeper
+1
#491
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

A bear is a bear, can't fault it for being a bear. I yam what I yam, or some such thing

Farmer's Almanach predicts yearly temperature about as well as those "enlightened" scientists predict "Man Made global warming....
 
Tonington
#492
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Farmer's Almanach predicts yearly temperature about as well as those "enlightened" scientists predict "Man Made global warming....

Scientists don't predict next years temperature let alone next year's man-made global warming.... they project, and use things like uncertainty because no scientist worth their salt would ever claim to be even 10% successful with a specific prediction for time, place, and amount of some quantity so far in the future.... The Almanac on the other hand says that March 15-18th, storms will roll in and bring 25 centimeters of snow. That is a prediction.
 
CDNBear
#493
 
mentalfloss
+1
#494
Contrary to the lone Nanos poll - Conservative support went down while NDP and Liberals remained steady in 2nd and 3rd respectively. I told you guys.. remember 6 - 6 - 6 . The 6th day of every month is when threehundredeight.com takes all respective polls into account.



 
CDNBear
#495
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Contrary to the lone Nanos poll - Conservative support went down while NDP and Liberals remained steady in 2nd and 3rd respectively. I told you guys.. remember 6 - 6 - 6 . The 6th day of every month is when threehundredeight.com takes all respective polls into account.



Anti-Harper crowd chase their tails | Editorial | Opinion | Toronto Sun
 
mentalfloss
#496
Ha! I guess that guy doesn't follow the polls that closely then.

I find this tends to happen every month. There will be one poll on the first or second day of the month that the media will take and run with for a good headline. Then, on the sixth when all the data is put properly into context, nobody notices.

It's pretty seedy if you ask me.
 
CDNBear
+1
#497
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Ha! I guess that guy doesn't follow the polls that closely then.

I find this tends to happen every month. There will be one poll on the first or second day of the month that the media will take and run with for a good headline. Then, on the sixth when all the data is put properly into context, nobody notices.

It's pretty seedy if you ask me.



Zooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm.....
 
mentalfloss
+1
#498
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post



Zooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm.....


omg yer liek sooooooooooo smrt you could be a fish instead of bear liek wowwwowowowow
 
CDNBear
#499
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

omg yer liek sooooooooooo smrt you could be a fish instead of bear liek wowwwowowowow

 
Colpy
+2
#500
Quote: Originally Posted by relicView Post

Bear,you should have del mastros job,you make about as much sense,if you don't think this is important,you'er just the kind of sheep steve is looking for

The simple fact is.....the situation has been blown completely out of proportion.

Quote:

........ what did Elections Canada's actual 190-page report from the last election say?

It referenced hundreds of irregularities the 2011 election. Most of which were Elections Canada staff sleeping in or otherwise not showing up at a polling station on time. There were a few reports of shenanigans. But here's what they concluded, on page 3: "There was no conduct reported that would bring into question the integrity of the election result overall or the result in a particular riding."

In fact, their report calls media comments to the contrary "speculation."

So were there irregularities? There always are in a country of 34 million people and thousands of temporary Elections Canada workers. But Elections Canada concluded the results were not affected.

.................................................. ...............

Here's one more inconvenient fact. Not a single Canadian *- not one *- has come forward to say that some robot phone call made them miss out on voting.

Not a single Canadian was fooled.

(my emphasis)

Sorry, robots didn't highjack the election - Ezra Levant (external - login to view)
 
CDNBear
#501
And again, we come back to...

Lust for scandal | Columnists | Opinion | Toronto Sun

Anti-Harper crowd chase their tails | Editorial | Opinion | Toronto Sun
 
Goober
#502
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

The simple fact is.....the situation has been blown completely out of proportion.

Well as I have mentioned this story has legs - And why - Because Harper and his crew are just plain FFN dumb at times. Recall this is the Party leader that promised ethics, morals, a chicken whoops, 2 chickens in every pot.

If you work for a company and have an expense account - they want receipts.

If CCRA comes a calling as you E Filed - They want paperwork to match.

Well when it comes to the CPC, things get a tad different. They are all so honest, loyal, why they invented Canadian apple pie.

Now read this link and tell me why the CPC is so FFn dumb.


Elections Canada denied new powers by Tories, MPs say - Politics - CBC News

The Conservatives last week denied a request by Elections Canada for the power to demand receipts for political parties' election spending, raising questions about why, opposition MPs said Tuesday.

In his report on the 2008 federal election, Canada’s chief electoral officer asked MPs to give him the power to request supporting documents from political parties for their expenses. Individual candidates are already required to provide their receipts, as are leadership contestants, Marc Mayrand told the procedure and House affairs committee.

But opposition MPs say the Conservatives on the committee looking at the report overruled them last week, refusing to support Mayrand’s recommendation.

NDP MP David Christopherson says he wants to know why Conservative MPs wouldn't give the chief electoral officer the ability to demand receipts.

"He's the honest referee that's going to decide the election and whether the rules are complied with," he said. "Why are they so afraid to give the CEO the power to demand documents, especially in the context of this robo-scandal?

"The first thing that comes to mind to a reasonable person is they’ve got something to hide and if they give this power to the CEO they’re going to get found out. That’s what it looks like to me," Christopherson said.



Elections Canada denied new powers by Tories, MPs say - Politics - CBC News
 
DaSleeper
#503
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Scientists don't predict next years temperature let alone next year's man-made global warming.... they project, and use things like uncertainty because no scientist worth their salt would ever claim to be even 10% successful with a specific prediction for time, place, and amount of some quantity so far in the future.... The Almanac on the other hand says that March 15-18th, storms will roll in and bring 25 centimeters of snow. That is a prediction.

"Predict" or "Project" ........"Prevaricate" or "Lie"......words....bah
 
taxslave
+2
#504
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Was it any better when it was run by Farmers and Railwaymen?

Well we didn't have any where near as many bureaucrats then.
 
Goober
#505
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

"Predict" or "Project" ........"Prevaricate" or "Lie"......words....bah

Have you forgotten a dash of Humbug?
 
Vanni Fucci
#506
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...er-powers.html

Shouldn't be long now before Harper and his cronies fire the Chief Electoral Officer and replaces him with a partisan hack...
Last edited by Vanni Fucci; Mar 6th, 2012 at 11:19 PM..Reason: Linky
 
Dexter Sinister
+1
#507
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

The simple fact is.....the situation has been blown completely out of proportion

Yeah, in one sense I'm sure that's true, it made no difference in the outcome in any constituency, according to the data I've seen. But I don't think that's the point either. The point is that it appears somebody was doing some pretty rotten things, their success or failure isn't really relevant. What's relevant is that they happened at all.
 
Vanni Fucci
#508
A blood feud beyond ballots - The Globe and Mail

Quote:

“The jackasses at Elections Canada are out of control.”
In 2001, Stephen Harper was president of the National Citizens Coalition. That was his opening line in a fundraising letter.

This article nicely demonstrates our PM's contempt for EC and democracy...

Quote:

Mr. Harper was taking up the cause of a B.C. man, Paul Bryan, who had been charged with violating the law after posting Atlantic Canada results on his website in the 2000 election before the polls closed in other parts of the country. Mr. Harper argued that, in the age of the Internet, the Elections Canada ban made no sense. Mr. Bryan’s only offence, he wrote, was to believe in freedom of speech at election time.
But Mr. Harper’s words have a rather peculiar ring today. Elections Canada bureaucrats went after Mr. Bryan, he said in his letter, “to establish the precedent of government control of the Internet. … The implications are very ominous, very scary.” And yet, his own government recently tried to introduce Internet surveillance legislation, only to be thwarted by a public backlash.
“Iron-fisted bully tactics have no place in a free and democratic society,” Mr. Harper wrote, in reference to Mr. Kingsley. “Information is power. The less control the government has over the flow of information, the less control it can exert over its citizens. … We cannot allow the government to dictate what information we can and cannot publish.”
Ironically, on information flows, the Harper government is widely viewed as one of Canada’s most restrictive. Just last week, the journal Nature accused the government of muzzling the science community.

Quote has been trimmed
Thanks all cons for putting this clown in the captain's chair...
 
Colpy
#509
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni FucciView Post

A blood feud beyond ballots - The Globe and Mail



This article nicely demonstrates our PM's contempt for EC and democracy...



Thanks all cons for putting this clown in the captain's chair...

He was absolutely correct.
 
Vanni Fucci
#510
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

He was absolutely correct.

Who was? Lawrence Martin, Paul Bryan or Stephen Harper?
 

Similar Threads

126
Conservative voters have amnesia!!!
by JonB2004 | Jun 2nd, 2006
no new posts