Conservative 'Robocalls' tricked voters in last election

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

You want to be careful around CDN if you're full cocked.

She can't end up emasculated, like you.

SLM is a girl.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

SLM is a girl.

LOL. Someone has not been paying attention eh?

mentalfloss

SLM is a girl.

kewl

Goober
+1

Are you saying the RCMP and Elections Canada isn't?

I read the link to the petition. It's demands are as impartial as the Usual Suspects.

Inquiries usually have a target, ie: Gomery. If an Inquiry, like the one the petition is looking for is convened, it's target will be the CPC.

If someone comes up with a petition, calling for an inquiry, into electoral misconduct, by all parties, let me know.

Andrew Coyne: All too plausible to think the Conservatives are involved in the robocall scandal | Full Comment | National Post

Here is a list of some of the things we do not know about the Robocon scandal (for those just joining us, the use of live or automated “robocalls” to harass or deceive — con — voters in certain ridings during the last election). We do not know whether the calls were made by members of the Conservative party. We do not know whether any Conservative authorized them, or even knew about them. We do not know whether anyone was prevented from voting, or had their vote changed, as a result, nor do we know whether the results of any riding were affected.

But my God, what we know is disturbing enough. There were not a few calls: there were thousands. They did not occur in one or two ridings: there were at least 18 of them, scattered across the country. In all but one the race was viewed as being between a Conservative and a Liberal, and in every one the calls were made to Liberal supporters. (The NDP now claims to have found nine ridings in which its own supporters received similar calls. These remain to be verified.) In some cases voters were given false information on where to vote by someone pretending to represent Elections Canada. In others, they were annoyed or insulted by calls purporting to come from the Liberal party.

So, no, we do not know for a fact that the calls came from anyone acting on the authority of the Conservative party. But, well, let’s say it fits a pattern — if not of outright lawbreaking then certainly of close-to-the-wind tactics and ends-justify-the-means ethics. The “in and out” affair may not have been the scandal many, including Elections Canada, thought it was, but it hardly spoke of a robust commitment to honesty and fair play. The deceptive calls to voters in Irwin Cotler’s riding of Mount Royal are a still closer precedent. It is not implausible that somebody connected with the party would have taken their cues as to what was considered appropriate behaviour, and run with it.

But who? It beggars belief that local campaign workers in 18 different ridings could have separately hit upon the same scam, or carried it out without the knowledge of anyone outside the riding. The notion that the whole thing could be put down to one over-zealous young campaign worker, as some are putting about, is even less credible. Whoever did this would not only have to have the capacity to organize and fund a national robocalling operation. They would also have to have the lists of names and phone numbers to call. Such information would be closely held with respect to the party’s own supporters. But how many people in the party would have access to lists of Liberal supporters? And how did they get them?

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

As the bulk of his posts would indicate.

kewl

Good call. Having to sit to pee, is probably a good place for you to stop at.

SLM
+1

As the bulk of his posts would indicate.

I would have thought the incorrigible flirting with the guys would have been the dead give away.

Or the avatars at the very least. LOL.

mentalfloss
Goob's got a half chub.

Why don't you guys (and gal) go after him?

DaSleeper
+1
1 & 3=Kewl (external - login to view)

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Andrew Coyne: All too plausible to think the Conservatives are involved in the robocall scandal | Full Comment | National Post
Here is a list of some of the things we do not know about the Robocon scandal (for those just joining us, the use of live or automated “robocalls” to harass or deceive — con — voters in certain ridings during the last election). We do not know whether the calls were made by members of the Conservative party. We do not know whether any Conservative authorized them, or even knew about them. We do not know whether anyone was prevented from voting, or had their vote changed, as a result, nor do we know whether the results of any riding were affected.
But my God, what we know is disturbing enough. There were not a few calls: there were thousands. They did not occur in one or two ridings: there were at least 18 of them, scattered across the country. In all but one the race was viewed as being between a Conservative and a Liberal, and in every one the calls were made to Liberal supporters. (The NDP now claims to have found nine ridings in which its own supporters received similar calls. These remain to be verified.) In some cases voters were given false information on where to vote by someone pretending to represent Elections Canada. In others,...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Are you asking me to make up my mind, or trying to change my mind, with an OP/Ed piece?

Goob's got a half chub.

Ya, but he's not a partisan hack like you. So we can still hold down a reasoned conversation with him.

You should just concentrate on hanging on to your pitchfork and torch at the same time, without hurting yourself.

Last edited by CDNBear; Mar 1st, 2012 at 07:59 PM..

Goober
+2

Goob's got a half chub.

Well thank you.
The petition is biased. No one can deny that and no one can defend it.

I signed it for some reasons

To many political games played by all Parties that cross the line.

Neither Elections Canada or the RCMP can address what is not Illegal.

An inquiry can.

Make Robo calls during an election traceable - Those that fail to do so would be subject to a charge under the Criminal Code and as Harper likes min sentences - 2 years min - no conditional sentences allowed.

Any person breaking these laws would be prohibited from running in any - any election for 10 years.

Not able to sit on any board etc of any Political Party.

The Party - Candidate - would be subjected to a substantial fine.

mentalfloss
+1

Are you asking me to make up my mind, or trying to change my mind, with an OP/Ed piece?

Ya, but he's not a partisan hack like you. So we can still hold down a reasoned conversation with him.

You should just concentrate on hanging on to your pitchfork and torch at the same time, without hurting yourself.

lol

Easy.. I'm not trying to be a 'partisan hack' or bust out the pitchforks.

I even made a post early in this thread clarifying that the title was wrong as there was no smoking gun.

CDNBear
+1

lol

I even made a post early in this thread clarifying that the title was wrong as there was no smoking gun.

I'm surprised no one thought of this earlier. Anyone that has their spidey-tinglers enabled should have guessed that Whodat is an evil ****. I'd love to see some more investigation into Ford's election as well.

Someone sent me a petition link to enforce a public inquiry into this matter. It currently has over 35,000 signees. I recommend everyone sign.

I have a feeling this accusation is going to be discredited by tomorrow. It's definitely a diversion tactic that's become the Tories' official m.o.

And that was only one page.

Is that you, front left?

Goober
+2

lol

To be honest the main topic of the majority of your threads are negative towards Conservatives - appears to be single minded - So in cases like this take the time to post what you think - then the story. Saves issues rising up. Just an opinion from a guy with half a chubb -

But it is one huge Mother of a CHUBB. When I have a full CHUBB, a blood transfusion may be required. Has occurred on occasion.

mentalfloss
Everyone has biases. I'm not going to be pretend to be egalitarian simply because people like it.

That said, I've still acknowledged there is no smoking gun.

Goober

Everyone has biases. I'm not going to be pretend to be egalitarian simply because people like it.

That said, I've still acknowledged there is no smoking gun.

All I mentioned was putting in your own comments on a story- Posting just a new story can lead to member thinking you agree with this. Right or wrong - as we saw with the guy having sex with his dog - gay marriage - and what's next. That OP was crap.

taxslave
+3

I think I'll wait and see what Elections Canada and the RCMP dig up, before I join the half cocked crowd.

Carry on.

I said the same thing a few days back and got derided by most of the usual suspects. But then they are not interested in truth, only their version of it.

JLM
+1

I think I'll wait and see what Elections Canada and the RCMP dig up, before I join the half cocked crowd.

Carry on.

With volatile or sensitive issues maybe it's better just to leave the cock right out it.

Not paying attention to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Impossible!

mentalfloss

All I mentioned was putting in your own comments on a story- Posting just a new story can lead to member thinking you agree with this. Right or wrong - as we saw with the guy having sex with his dog - gay marriage - and what's next. That OP was crap.

Huh?

Sometimes I comment, sometimes I don't. If it's a comment you disagree with just let me know.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

I said the same thing a few days back and got derided by most of the usual suspects. But then they are not interested in truth, only their version of it.

Some only want to hear what they want to hear. Everything else falls on deaf ears.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

With volatile or sensitive issues maybe it's better just to leave the cock right out it.

I've yet to meet a man who could do that entirely, lol.

Quote:

Not paying attention to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Impossible!

I know. I'm so subtle and everything.

Vanni Fucci
www.rmgsite.com/about_history.php (external - login to view)

I just want to point out that Repsonsive Media Group has on their website that they work exclusively with right-of-centre (sic) campaigns, which strongly suggests that their ideology drives their business...

"RMG employs over 400 full time employees. Our senior management team has over 200 years of combined experience in helping conservatives get elected."

...by any means necessary it seems...

Dexter Sinister
+1

I've yet to meet a man who could do that entirely, lol.

You need to meet me, I can be so coldly rational and distant it'd sicken you, and when I'm in that mood you could dance naked on my kitchen table and I wouldn't even notice.

At least, I could do a really good job of pretending not to notice, but the hidden cams would capture it for... well, never mind.

mentalfloss
Called this one.

Liberals refute Tory allegation they used firm (external - login to view)

I would be less discerning about the CPC if they didn't try these gimmicky diversions in QP that come back to bite them later.

Well, here's some good news at least:

Election call tapes under review by Conservatives - Politics - CBC News
Last edited by mentalfloss; Mar 2nd, 2012 at 06:35 AM..

#juan
Robocalls leading back to Conservative party:

Misleading B.C. election call traced to Conservative Party - British Columbia - CBC News

Maybe it will come back and bite them in the *** yet...

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Maybe it will come back and bite them in the *** yet...

But they weren't involved. It was all pure luck that this happened this way.

I wish I could be so lucky and benefit from someone else's criminal behaviour in the same ways.

mentalfloss
G&M article on the Liberal-Conservative mashup.

Liberals build their case in robo-call scandal as Tory attack backfires - The Globe and Mail

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

But they weren't involved. It was all pure luck that this happened this way.

What do you mean they weren't involved? It's pretty obvious they were involved.

Goober

Huh?

Sometimes I comment, sometimes I don't. If it's a comment you disagree with just let me know.

Stubborn.

mentalfloss

Stubborn.

There's nothing wrong with posting an article, commenting on it, etc.

If you disagree with the content of the post - hey, that's what discussion boards are for.

Goober

There's nothing wrong with posting an article, commenting on it, etc.

If you disagree with the content of the post - hey, that's what discussion boards are for.

Just made a suggestion is all. Take it as you will.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

What do you mean they weren't involved? It's pretty obvious they were involved.

The burning question is, who is "they"? Anyone in official party capacity?