Of all the established and recognized N.H.L. players in the past 25 years who are the

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Yep, and Pronger too.

Ulf Samulesson was a class 'A' prick and I always hoped Claude Lemieux would die in a fire.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yep, and Pronger too.

Ulf Samulesson was a class 'A' prick and I always hoped Claude Lemieux would die in a fire.

For now I'll submit Eric Lindros, Brett Hull, Al McGuiness had a lot of class on the ice but very little on civvy street.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Do you mean on or off the ice? I look at the names listed and I see some strong contenders and some that are kinda meh to me

Sean Avery
Patrick Roy
Marty McSorley
Mark Messier
Chris Pronger

- Avery is clearly one, no denying. He's on my list at #1. Period.
- After the off ice issues in Edmonton, Pronger has rated a lot of points in that regard too. I'd put him a maybe.
- Lindros, I don't think can ever escape the stigma of the draft day debacle. Always came off as pretty arrogant too but thats always in play with elite athletes (and he was one, like him or not).
- Claude Lemieux... what can you say about a guy whose own teammates stepped OVER him to get off the ice and go to the dressing room for an intermission, while he acted out one of his twice-in-a-game injuries?
- Brett Hull? I never heard much bad about him aside from his being opinionated at times. A lot of stars are though. Jeremy Roenick was another but I never thought they were classless.
- Ulf Samuelsson took out a lot of knees with his submarine hits... his brother Kjell wasn't as bad but was still a hack. Other notable "submariners" I remember were Brian Marchement and Darius Kasparaitsi
-Al McInnis? I never heard anything about him at all...
- guys who lost their heads completely in games: McSorely. Bertuzzi. Chris Simon. There are others but they elude me. In Bertuzzi's defence it was a case of one incident marring an otherwise decent career: he can still play.
- Patrick Roy makes my personal list - great goaltender but a proverbial 2 cent head. Look at his episode resulting in his trade to Colorado. Domestic assault complaints by his (ex?) wife on several occasions. Then I see him coaching in the QMJHL and the antics (brawls etc) his team gets up to.

Growing up and living most of my 43 years in Northern Alberta, I had a number of old Oilers that I didn't like:
- Kirk Maltby - a guy who would take runs and head hunt people but rarely backed it up when someone would drop the gloves
- Ken Linsman and Esa Tikkanen - pests extraordinaire but they never (quite) got to the Avery level
- I hated Messier too but I have to admit the coke-head could play.

A lot of these guys are highly debatable to me. There's a lot of difference between playing a role on a team and being truly classless. Most classy guys would be tough too but thats because there are a LOT of good guys in the NHL too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Do you mean on or off the ice? I look at the names listed and I see some strong contenders and some that are kinda meh to me

Sean Avery
Patrick Roy
Marty McSorley
Mark Messier
Chris Pronger

- Avery is clearly one, no denying. He's on my list at #1. Period.
- After the off ice issues in Edmonton, Pronger has rated a lot of points in that regard too. I'd put him a maybe.
- Lindros, I don't think can ever escape the stigma of the draft day debacle. Always came off as pretty arrogant too but thats always in play with elite athletes (and he was one, like him or not).
- Claude Lemieux... what can you say about a guy whose own teammates stepped OVER him to get off the ice and go to the dressing room for an intermission, while he acted out one of his twice-in-a-game injuries?
- Brett Hull? I never heard much bad about him aside from his being opinionated at times. A lot of stars are though. Jeremy Roenick was another but I never thought they were classless.
- Ulf Samuelsson took out a lot of knees with his submarine hits... his brother Kjell wasn't as bad but was still a hack. Other notable "submariners" I remember were Brian Marchement and Darius Kasparaitsi
-Al McInnis? I never heard anything about him at all...
- guys who lost their heads completely in games: McSorely. Bertuzzi. Chris Simon. There are others but they elude me. In Bertuzzi's defence it was a case of one incident marring an otherwise decent career: he can still play.
- Patrick Roy makes my personal list - great goaltender but a proverbial 2 cent head. Look at his episode resulting in his trade to Colorado. Domestic assault complaints by his (ex?) wife on several occasions. Then I see him coaching in the QMJHL and the antics (brawls etc) his team gets up to.

Growing up and living most of my 43 years in Northern Alberta, I had a number of old Oilers that I didn't like:
- Kirk Maltby - a guy who would take runs and head hunt people but rarely backed it up when someone would drop the gloves
- Ken Linsman and Esa Tikkanen - pests extraordinaire but they never (quite) got to the Avery level
- I hated Messier too but I have to admit the coke-head could play.

A lot of these guys are highly debatable to me. There's a lot of difference between playing a role on a team and being truly classless. Most classy guys would be tough too but thats because there are a LOT of good guys in the NHL too.

Jeremy Roenick crossed my mind, but I didn't follow him close enough to make a solid opinion, Brett Hull, I thought was a whiner (his old man was a thug) Ron Hextall is another candidate that comes to mind. Al McGuiness was a damn fine player, but conceit was written all over him.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Claude Lemieux... what can you say about a guy whose own teammates stepped OVER him to get off the ice and go to the dressing room for an intermission, while he acted out one of his twice-in-a-game injuries?
I'd forgotten about that one.

McSorley was clearly 'roid raging'-a common enough occurrence but sad to see the NHL sweep all that under the carpet as per SOP.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Trevor Linden
Wayne Gretzky
Igor Larionov
Jean Beliveau
Bobby Orr

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

McSorley was clearly 'roid raging'-a common enough occurrence but sad to see the NHL sweep all that under the carpet as per SOP.

It is just lucky that Brashear was wearing a helmet at the time, otherwise McSorley would have been charged with manslaughter(at the very least).

Some pretty good names on this list. Patrick Roy, particularly for the way he "coaches" his team, belongs on it. All the on-ice accomplishments he has don't mean as much when you're a class-a jackass.

Sean Avery is pretty classless. Matt Cooke is pretty high on the list, but he seems to have finally learned his lesson(21 games in and he hasn't done anything dirty on the ice, and has only picked up 6 minutes in penalties so far).

I don't have a lot of respect for Lucic or Chara of the Boston Bruins, and they seem to get away with stuff that other teams players would be fined/suspended for.

It's hard to pick players from the past 25 years, as the actions of recent years is far fresher in my mind.

So, my picks are(in no particular order):

1. Sean Avery

2. Patrick Roy

3. Chris Simon(lots of suspensions in his career)

4. Matt Cooke

5. Claude Lemieulx(lots of lumber swung and he was a pretty good slew-footer as well).

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Trevor Linden
Wayne Gretzky
Igor Larionov
Jean Beliveau
Bobby Orr

good one kreskin, love it

________________________________________________________________________________

ken linesman, nicknamed (the rat)

ken linesman's re encarnation - brad marchand

tiger williams

todd bertuzzi

sean avery

bobby clarke

Ok Ok, so its 6

i'm sure there are a few more, would have to look them up

Fine, goons then. Either way, you're out to Lunch.

Aaaaaaah.... trolling.

I believe he was just 'kidding', get it get it.

Does the name Billy Smith ring a bell? Wasn't he a goonish type? Goalie maybe!

yeah, I would have listed him too. He used his goalie stick like a sythe.

don't remember mc Sorley's situation being swept under the carpet, he had to appear in court, it was
a well known incident with consequences, I believe it was donald brashear he swung his stick at.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
good one kreskin, love it

________________________________________________________________________________

ken linesman, nicknamed (the rat)

ken linesman's re encarnation - brad marchand

tiger williams

todd bertuzzi

sean avery

bobby clarke

Ok Ok, so its 6

i'm sure there are a few more, would have to look them up

I believe he was just 'kidding', get it get it.

yeah, I would have listed him too. He used his goalie stick like a sythe.

don't remember mc Sorley's situation being swept under the carpet, he had to appear in court, it was
a well known incident with consequences, I believe it was donald brashear he swung his stick at.

I'm not sure that Tiger Williams lacked class, actually he was a very good two way player, tough defenseman but believe it or not he scored 35 goals one year as I recall. Probably holds some kind of record for penalty minutes. I think Hextall was actually just as vicious if not more so than Billy Smith.

Then of course there was Dave "cement head" Semenko of Edmonton Oilers fame mid 80s. :lol: Big and dumb. :lol: