Would You Eat Bugs?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Members here know I live in Vancouver-home to some of the flakiest weirdos in all of Canada.

Now just a 15 minute walk from my house some cook is trying to flog insects for food.

The question-would you eat bugs?

The larger question is-as always-What is the world coming to?

Cuisine to chirp about

By the dim flicker of candlelight, you can squint at the roasted crickets on this Indian-style pizza and almost pretend they’re crunchy mung beans.

But look closer and you’ll see the telltale spiracles on the dark brown, tubular bodies generously scattered under a thick layer of fresh cilantro and melted paneer cheese. And after a few bites, when the spindly bent legs and antennae keep getting caught between the teeth, there’s no denying it any longer.
click here to keep reading/if you have the stomach for it

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
North Americans are among some of the most squeamish people on Earth. People in many countries eat bugs. It is cheap and they are a very efficient way to grow protein. I'm sure if you were staving out in the wilderness, you would eat anything you could find. I hear chocolate coated ants are a delicacy but hard to find in the wild.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'll try pretty much anything once.

That's what they said down at the bath house. At least that's what I heard second hand, I've never been to the bath house myself.

.....Deleted:lol:

Coward:lol:

I've eaten a bug or two in my day. Not the best tasting, but if we're talking survival I would. Some things just don't agree with my taste buds. Bugs being one of them. Mushrooms is another thing I cannot stand. Put them on a pizza and I am grossed right out, but in survival mode I'd choke em down.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
If you eat junebugs,put them in your mouth upside down or they will grab your tounge with their stickey feet.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Members here know I live in Vancouver-home to some of the flakiest weirdos in all of Canada.

Now just a 15 minute walk from my house some cook is trying to flog insects for food.

The question-would you eat bugs?

The larger question is-as always-What is the world coming to?

Cuisine to chirp about

By the dim flicker of candlelight, you can squint at the roasted crickets on this Indian-style pizza and almost pretend they’re crunchy mung beans.

But look closer and you’ll see the telltale spiracles on the dark brown, tubular bodies generously scattered under a thick layer of fresh cilantro and melted paneer cheese. And after a few bites, when the spindly bent legs and antennae keep getting caught between the teeth, there’s no denying it any longer.click here to keep reading/if you have the stomach for it

Would I? I have!

I was at a banquet in China and at the table was a platter of deep-fried silkworm (possibly battered in something) and some other cockroach-like insect apparently prepared in the same manner. I'd refused to consume alcohol (strict teetotaller), which offended the host somewhat (especially in that province, drinking etiquette is important). The other foreigners at table would drink but refused to touch the bugs. Though I prefer to eat vegan, I'd decided to eat the bugs to appease the host. It worked. While the Chinese at the table, men and women, were helping themselves to the bugs, I was the only foreigner who dared the venture.

Honestly though, they tasted like deep-fried sawdust. Quite flavourless really, but still a disgusting idea.

I know that soldiers in the west are often taught that worms are high in protein and always worth frying as part of a hot meal when there is no other food available.

So eating bugs really should not be too surprising. It exists in various cultures in different ways.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Or riding a motorcycle.
or just sticking your head out of the car window driving down the highway! Back in the days before cars were equipped with a/c

North Americans are among some of the most squeamish people on Earth. People in many countries eat bugs. It is cheap and they are a very efficient way to grow protein. I'm sure if you were staving out in the wilderness, you would eat anything you could find. I hear chocolate coated ants are a delicacy but hard to find in the wild.
Had a friend years ago in Penticton. She worked at the bank and got really tired of everyone taking her candies out of her drawer. She went and bought a big bag of chocolate coated ants and put them in her drawer. People continued telling her how great the candies in her drawer were. When they were gone - she told them what they had eaten. No one ever ate her candy again.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I have eaten fried grasshoppers and chocolate covered ants, years ago. I actually bought them at a Simpsons-Sears in Regina for a party.