Kissing lesbians asked to leave Tim Hortons

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Two lesbians claim a minister had them thrown off the premises of a Tim Hortons in Blenheim, Ont., because of their sexual orientation.

But Rev. Eric Revie of Glad Tidings Community Church says he thought they were a heterosexual couple inappropriately kissing outside the window of the Tim Hortons during the last week of September.

Revie, who was at the restaurant with his family, asked the manager to instruct the couple to tone it down.
'The guests' behaviour went beyond public displays of affection.'— Tim Hortons statement
Riley Duckworth, 25, of London, Ont., and her partner Patricia Pattenden, 23, say they did nothing wrong.

They claim they were outside holding hands and enjoying a coffee when they kissed each other on the cheek.
Revie and the Tim Hortons manager both felt the kiss went too far.

"We weren't making out or anything," Duckworth told CBC Windsor's Early Shift. "We weren't doing anything grotesque."
Duckworth said Pattenden's mother was sharing the bench with the couple so they wouldn't have dreamed of doing anything offensive.

Duckworth said the manager told them their behaviour was unacceptable and that they had five minutes to leave or the police would be called. So they left.

"We didn’t want any more of a scene. We were already embarrassed," Duckworth said.

"The guests' behaviour went beyond public displays of affection and was making other guests feel uncomfortable," Tim Hortons manager of public affairs Alexandra Cygal wrote in an email to CBC News. "The management has apologized to Riley and Patricia and invite them back to their restaurant."

Duckworth said she emailed Tim Hortons immediately following the incident in September, but never heard from anyone until after the company issued a public statement this week.

She said she is still waiting for, and wants, a personal apology.
Protest planned

The couple are planning to return to the Tim Hortons location in Blenheim — to protest what they call discrimination.

Duckworth, Riley and a community group pushing the issue plan to occupy the area around the coffee shop Thursday afternoon to send a message to the company.

"As far as we're concerned, the corporate chain has a responsibility to discipline their franchise and make it clear that when you see that big Tim Hortons sign it's not representative of no gays allowed," said social justice activist Tracy Lamourie, who is helping to organize the protest.

"We don't want this to happen to anyone else," Duckworth said.

According to a news release issued by the couple and distributed by Lamourie, the minister also held a prayer service to "save the couple's souls" right in front of them in the parking lot.

CBC News tried unsuccessfully to reach Revie at his church in Blenheim.

Pamela Baurer, a Blenheim resident and Tim Hortons patron, defended Revie's complaint and character.

"I've been in situations with my three kids before and there's been inappropriate language or sexual content in a park where I've said politely, do you mind taking this somewhere else?" Baurer said.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Okay.. I'll start...

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
you piss off the lesbians and you're in for a big time demo!!

Father fukknuts should keep his morality for his church.

Just sell the coffee already. MacDonald's coffee is just as good and cheaper.

Seniors suck for less at MacDonalds.................getta muffin fo thirteen cents with a senior's coffee.

good deal.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
13 cents? That is a good deal.

WITH A COFFEE. TO BUY ALONE............DUNNO. WE ALWAYS OPT FOR THE SR. COFFEE/MUFFIN COMBO. why am i yelling?

Checked the receipt one day, and it works out to .13c.

Speaking of good things. The septic sucker is coming to suck the septic today, so I gotta go un-lid. Glad the wind is from the West.

hold the coffee. keep the kids and small animals indoors.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
There is a kiss and then there is a kiss. Doesn't matter whose kissing. Depends on where the hands are and what they are doing that usually matters. Why does anyone have to stand near any window for anymore than a peck on the cheek or a quick lip smooch? Take it away from the clear mirror and no one cares.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
it depends on 'how' they were kissing, and for 'how long', and what other behavior went along with it.

doesn't matter if they are lesbians or not, some behavior along those lines, right at a window of a

restaurant would make those close by uncomfortable. Just take it somewhere else, but obviously they

were performing for the patrons of the restaurant it seems, looking for attention,

and wanting to put on a show.

If it was only a pick on the cheek, don't think anything would have been said at all, by anyone.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Some people are so uncomfortable with this stuff, you have to wonder why they spend so much time watching others and interfering in things that don't involve them.

Perhaps the lesbians were speaking loudly in a foreing language, that might have been the real problem.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
What is so uncomforatable about a kiss? Stay away from Europe. It would freak you right out.

a kiss is just a kiss, just like the song says, but if you read my post again I was referring to 'more' than
just kissing.
There are many ways of kissing, then there is one kiss, a pick on the cheek, and the number of 'what' kind
of kisses, guess one had to be there to really know. Can't just go by the 'who said' stuff, because who
is telling the truth, we don't know.

this isn't europe, we have our own society and behaviors that we accept or not,
and they have theirs.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
it depends on 'how' they were kissing, and for 'how long', and what other behavior went along with it.

doesn't matter if they are lesbians or not, some behavior along those lines, right at a window of a

restaurant would make those close by uncomfortable. Just take it somewhere else, but obviously they

were performing for the patrons of the restaurant it seems, looking for attention,

and wanting to put on a show.

If it was only a pick on the cheek, don't think anything would have been said at all, by anyone.

As we do not have video your point is conjecture. Throw in a Minister trying to save their souls. They did nothing wrong as far as i can see.

For those that are against Gays - That is a personal /religious decision - Just as it is a personal - religious decision for those that accept gays as people with all the same faults and good points as everyone else on this planet.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
As we do not have video your point is conjecture. Throw in a Minister trying to save their souls. They did nothing wrong as far as i can see.

For those that are against Gays - That is a personal /religious decision - Just as it is a personal - religious decision for those that accept gays as people with all the same faults and good points as everyone else on this planet.

like I just said, we don't really know exactly what went on.

and I was referring to 'anyone',they don't have to be gay at all. if I was sitting close to that window,
trying to enjoy a coffee and a donut I would feel that they were doing their act just for those
of us who are inside, and it depends just 'how' they were acting during the 'peck on the cheek', or the
kiss that goes with having sex', whatever it was, we don't know.

We would have moved somewhere else, probably making some sarcastic remarks back and forth between each
other, and a good laugh.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
a kiss is just a kiss, just like the song says, but if you read my post again I was referring to 'more' than
just kissing.
There are many ways of kissing, then there is one kiss, a pick on the cheek, and the number of 'what' kind
of kisses, guess one had to be there to really know. Can't just go by the 'who said' stuff, because who
is telling the truth, we don't know.
There is nothing uncomfotable about nature. You can't hide from being a human.