Is it wrong to call or name a person or persons coloured

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You can't stay away from anything, who are you kidding!!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Please make comments re this derogatory term,as for me i think that it is, and should be erased from the history books

Should we remove "heathen" from the history books too? How do you propose to understand history if you remove the context by applying contemporary tendencies? Observing the changes over time and analyzing them against the present is useful for understanding why things are the way they are today. This is also useful for looking forward. If you can't identify those changes because you replaced the language in historical documents with the contemporary language, then you have lost the historical value.

Revisionism should be about expanding our knowledge of the past by broadening, not diluting the markers by which we measure change...

Have you taken many history classes?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yeah, they are annoying little bastards and can sting too. :lol:
I was thinking more about the flatulence that was my ancestry. All through the sixties, everybody wanted to be equal to them. I could never understand why.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Re: Is it wrong to call or name a person or persons colored

I was thinking more about the flatulence that was my ancestry. All through the sixties, everybody wanted to be equal to them. I could never understand why.

I will tell you what a Black Man wrote about the term colored - going by memory - directed at a white man
You dare to call me colored yet you are pink when you are born, turn brown when you tan, red when from a sunburn, grey when you are sick.

Lastly - I will agree with RCS -

Karooseun

Aug 6, 2011
Australia
Should we remove "heathen" from the history books too? How do you propose to understand history if you remove the context by applying contemporary tendencies? Observing the changes over time and analyzing them against the present is useful for understanding why things are the way they are today. This is also useful for looking forward. If you can't identify those changes because you replaced the language in historical documents with the contemporary language, then you have lost the historical value.

Revisionism should be about expanding our knowledge of the past by broadening, not diluting the markers by which we measure change...

Have you taken many history classes?
those mentioned items are there,but the naming of people is an ongoing issue,and not only recorede history,so you are very wrong and your comment is out of contexet with regard to the issue or subject matter being debated

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
At one time the RCMP labeled me a "person of interest." Should I consider that a derogatory term? Can I take that to the HRC?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Please make comments re this derogatory term,as for me i think that it is, and should be erased from the history books

So what else would be scrubbed from History in order to satisfy the politically correct beliefs - Please remember that 10 or 20 years from now what we think is PC may be found to be needing a scrubbing from the history books.

Next you would also purge all literary texts as well in order to meet your PC standards.Why you could be out of date in 10 years. Then what? Oh yes more scrubbing.

Karooseun

Aug 6, 2011
Australia

So what else would be scrubbed from History in order to satisfy the politically correct beliefs - Please remember that 10 or 20 years from now what we think is PC may be found to be needing a scrubbing from the history books.

Next you would also purge all literary texts as well in order to meet your PC standards.Why you could be out of date in 10 years. Then what? Oh yes more scrubbing.
history has bloody nothing to do with the present use of that bloody word Coloured