BC Teachers - going on strike

Calgary city workers - going on strike

strike, strike, strike, strike..

wtf people?

Do your jobs really suck that much?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Cost of living is going up, so everyone wants more money.

Well since the government is going to be in austerity mode for the next four years, they're really not going to get anything.

So then what happens?

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Well unions in the same country are a lot like bitches living under the same roof.

They all start to cycle in sync.

:?P

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, it's pretty crappy. I'm flying to Nanaimo Monday morning, coming back Friday. Should be quite the trip back...the travel booking at work went through Air Canada...

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yeah, it's pretty crappy. I'm flying to Nanaimo Monday morning, coming back Friday. Should be quite the trip back...the travel booking at work went through Air Canada...

Lovely.

Can you grab some mail over there for me?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Coming to visit the wet coast? Or just the research center ? If you get that far try to get to the shell fish research center in Deep Bay. I haven't had time to look at it yet which is rather embarrassing since it is only 10k from home but I am told it is impressive. About 1 hr drive from Nanaimo.

You will notice that it is almost all government unions that are on strike. After all they are entitled to a large raise every year regardless of the economy or the redundancy of their jobs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lots of contracts have been ignored for far too long. It's what happens when dumbasses on Wall/Bay Streets **** up and cost of living skyrockets.

My wife has been without a contract for 3 years and they are due to strike within days.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
imo, 3 years without a contract is unaceptable. You just watch, if the union strikes, the media will blame the union, yet the employer is just as much to blame.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
imo, 3 years without a contract is unaceptable. You just watch, if the union strikes, the media will blame the union, yet the employer is just as much to blame.

Depends, with downturn in economy, there's a chance the employer has no money for raises.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Coming to visit the wet coast? Or just the research center ? If you get that far try to get to the shell fish research center in Deep Bay. I haven't had time to look at it yet which is rather embarrassing since it is only 10k from home but I am told it is impressive. About 1 hr drive from Nanaimo.

You will notice that it is almost all government unions that are on strike. After all they are entitled to a large raise every year regardless of the economy or the redundancy of their jobs.

It's a conference, the 52nd Western Fish Disease workshop at the Vancouver Island Convention Center. One day of continuing education focused on bacterial kidney disease, and then two days of plenary session.

I get a raise every year too, but it's based on our performance evaluation, as well as how well our whole group performed. It's multipliers, so I guess some people could go without a raise if their performance was poor, but those people don't really last very long.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's a conference, the 52nd Western Fish Disease workshop at the Vancouver Island Convention Center. One day of continuing education focused on bacterial kidney disease, and then two days of plenary session.

I get a raise every year too, but it's based on our performance evaluation, as well as how well our whole group performed. It's multipliers, so I guess some people could go without a raise if their performance was poor, but those people don't really last very long.

Being contractors we get as much as the market will bare without pricing ourselves out of a job. And there are unquantifiable benefits.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Depends, with downturn in economy, there's a chance the employer has no money for raises.

I just get don't how where they will be able to maintain the budget with the Jets, G20, tax cuts, and all these strikes popping up.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011

no money for raises isn't always a deal breaker. they have had 3 years to reach an agreement. an agreement is a two way phenomena. both sides - including the employer - are to blame if they can't reach an agreement in 3 years.