Kanehsatake, 270 year of resistance.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"White is right." Hard to fight that kind of mentality. History is written by the victors. It is mostly a lie. Oka, Gufstuson(?) Lake, and most other conflicts are seen as unreasonable demands by a pampered minority by the dominant society. They thing the aboriginals have been given sweetheart deals and should be happy that we let them live. Pretty hard to get them to see past their prejudices and selfish wants. "

We conquered you so get out of our way." Education is key, but you have to work on the school kids. Most of their parents are beyond educating. We have our own struggle here with a people who were extincted back in '56 so their land could be sold to the US without compensating those who lived here for over 5000 years. They are still here but locals are still saying they never lived here. We are infiltrating the school system to right this wrong. It is a long, drawn out battle.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Wonder if the Canadian goverment would let them keep it if it was found in Canada?

American Indian reservation reaping oil benefits.
NEW TOWN, N.D. – An oil boom on American Indian land has brought jobs, millions of dollars and hope to long-impoverished tribal members who have struggled for more than a century on the million-acre Fort Berthold Indian Reservation.
In little more than a year, oil companies have put dozens of money-producing rigs on remote rolling prairie and sprawling badlands that are home to small cattle ranches and scattered settlements of modular housing. Although other tribes around the nation have oil interests, industry officials said none has likely experienced a recent windfall of this scale.
The reservation is occupied by the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara tribes, known as the Three Affiliated Tribes, who were placed in west-central North Dakota by the federal government in the 1800s — long before anyone knew of the oil.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tribal_oil

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Wonder if the Canadian goverment would let them keep it if it was found in Canada?

American Indian reservation reaping oil benefits.
NEW TOWN, N.D. – An oil boom on American Indian land has brought jobs, millions of dollars and hope to long-impoverished tribal members who have struggled for more than a century on the million-acre Fort Berthold Indian Reservation.
In little more than a year, oil companies have put dozens of money-producing rigs on remote rolling prairie and sprawling badlands that are home to small cattle ranches and scattered settlements of modular housing. Although other tribes around the nation have oil interests, industry officials said none has likely experienced a recent windfall of this scale.
The reservation is occupied by the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara tribes, known as the Three Affiliated Tribes, who were placed in west-central North Dakota by the federal government in the 1800s — long before anyone knew of the oil.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tribal_oil
Yes, but they would have to fight for the mineral rights, lol.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
My ancestral land was taken by far more brutal means than North America has ever seen. The British were not nice, but they had mellowed somewhat by the time they got here, considering their history. I am buddies with one whose carreer was to kill as many of my countrymen as needed by order of the Queen to preserve the empire, (he has seen the light and despises the regime as well), but I digress. I guess it could have been worse, Spain could have been the dominant presence here, we've seen how well that has worked south of the US border. At least the French had some panache, that adds to the culture here, but ayway... Although they have legitimate grievances, the "First Nations" also do have a sweet deal compared to what was offered to my ancestors, (but they pay for it through dependance). There comes a time where we do have to let bygones be bygones and live together. We still have a government that has the ability to expropriate or otherwise relieve us of property without compensation, this affects all of us. The "white against native", or vise versa, is only a mechanism for abusive governments to exact their end game, divide and conquer if you will. The totalitarians will take all we have irrespecitve of treaties or English Common Law if we allow it; the only defense is for all of us prolatarians to be on the same page with a common goal. I see a sinister master plan that will come to fruition as long as we keep up the juvinile ethinic infighting. As I said before, my ancestors have much more written history of being on the losing side of the real estate exchange than our first nations do, and we know who the real enemy is.

Last edited:

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Always blaming white people...

I like it how Natives assume, that because im white im a threat to their society....

I consider my family no different then the families coming to Canada, now. We came here for the same reasons economic immigrants and in the case of my dads family were displaced from the finnish civil war....

BUT that makes no difference because im white, lol...

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
One thing I have seen in regard to prejudice and that is that it starts within. Feelings of superiority or inferiority tend to be met with the opposite feelings. I originally came from the oppressor bunch - the Brits. Had a lot of white/Anglo-Saxon guilt when I became aware of our real history. Spent a lot of time trying to make amends but that didn't work very well. I then tried just being a human being. That worked much better. Now I can go anywhere and meet with people of all walks of life, geographical locations and languages, and I can just be me and be accepted or not and that is OK.

I have been to many aboriginal gatherings, been the only outsider, and I have never once felt discriminated against or shunned. The secret when being among any group of people is to treat everybody equally and as you would like to be treated and they will most likely treat you the same. If you feel like an outsider, you will probably be treated like one.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
One thing I have seen in regard to prejudice and that is that it starts within. Feelings of superiority or inferiority tend to be met with the opposite feelings. I originally came from the oppressor bunch - the Brits. Had a lot of white/Anglo-Saxon guilt when I became aware of our real history. Spent a lot of time trying to make amends but that didn't work very well. I then tried just being a human being. That worked much better. Now I can go anywhere and meet with people of all walks of life, geographical locations and languages, and I can just be me and be accepted or not and that is OK.

I have been to many aboriginal gatherings, been the only outsider, and I have never once felt discriminated against or shunned. The secret when being among any group of people is to treat everybody equally and as you would like to be treated and they will most likely treat you the same. If you feel like an outsider, you will probably be treated like one.
Well said.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There is a myth that propels much of the arguments of entitlement of native groups. That was that white conquistadors came in an imposed a draconian tyranny on what was a utopian and settled order in North America prior to their arrival. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact that landscape was riddled with tribal conflict, territorial conquest, atrocities amongst beligerents.. on top of the feast and famine, periodic die offs from starvation and disease of the lives of hunter gatherers. Yep the Indians were just as savage and acquisitive as their White interlopers.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Many peoples throughout history have been conquered and vanquished by other people. Some have been totally eliminated.

None of those who survived sponges off billions of dollars worth of "restitution" from the winners. None of them makes land claims larger than the entire country. None of them demands AND GETS tax-free status. None of them are or were ever given special priviledges like the North American "natives".

Only the politically correct would say 270 years of resistance. It is more like 270 years of free-loading.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There is a myth that propels much of the arguments of entitlement of native groups. That was that white conquistadors came in an imposed a draconian tyranny on what was a utopian and settled order in North America prior to their arrival. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact that landscape was riddled with tribal conflict, territorial conquest, atrocities amongst beligerents.. on top of the feast and famine, periodic die offs from starvation and disease of the lives of hunter gatherers. Yep the Indians were just as savage and acquisitive as their White interlopers.
Yup! And the Church was in there like a dirty shirt, swilling at the trough. I'm sure that it was not all sunshine and roses but the picture that you paint is just a justification for the crimes committed by the interlopers. You have no idea how things were before invasion except for the biased reporting of catholic priests who did most of the chronicling in the early days - unless you got this crap directly from god (which I'm sure you think you did).

Reactions: CDNBear

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Many peoples throughout history have been conquered and vanquished by other people. Some have been totally eliminated.

None of those who survived sponges off billions of dollars worth of "restitution" from the winners. None of them makes land claims larger than the entire country. None of them demands AND GETS tax-free status. None of them are or were ever given special priviledges like the North American "natives".

Only the politically correct would say 270 years of resistance. It is more like 270 years of free-loading.
Jack, I don't think CDNBear is being politically correct. If you had been paying attention, you would know that he has first hand knowledge of what he speaks. You, on the other hand are just another European interloper with no idea about the truth. You only have your prejudices and negativity to justify you bigotry.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Yup! And the Church was in there like a dirty shirt, swilling at the trough. I'm sure that it was not all sunshine and roses but the picture that you paint is just a justification for the crimes committed by the interlopers. You have no idea how things were before invasion except for the biased reporting of catholic priests who did most of the chronicling in the early days - unless you got this crap directly from god (which I'm sure you think you did)."

Cliffy, would you please tell us what prevented North American "natives" (besides the painfully obvious) to hop on a boat, sail to Europe, be the "interloper' there?

And if they had, would there still be English, Spanish, French etc. people? Based on how "native" North Americans treated each other, ther is not much chance of that.

Typical for an atheist to blame it all on the Church.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy, would you please tell us what prevented North American "natives" (besides the painfully obvious) to hop on a boat, sail to Europe, be the "interloper' there?

And if they had, would there still be English, Spanish, French etc. people? Based on how "native" North Americans treated each other, ther is not much chance of that.

Jack, which hole in your head are you talking out of? You obviously know nothing of history or pre-history or native culture. It would probably do no good to say so, but your ignorance is showing and you only confirm what most people here already know about you.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Think, Jack. If you had a few hundred square miles of some of the most wonderful countryside in the world to play in, why in the hell would you want to spend months travelling to a crowded, dirty continent?

Before Europeans showed up in the 15th century, there were extremely few wars in North America. There were occassional territorial disputes, some clans raided neighboring clans, but quite a few clans were entirely peaceful and others left them alone. Learn a little history sometime. It might do you good and prevent you from making some really dumb posts like this one.

Right, not everything can be blamed on religion. But for the most part and up until the last couple centuries, almost everything was done for religion. The rest was done for politics. Nowadays it's the reverse. Most is done because of politics and the rest done because of religion.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

It seems the painfully obvious, is obvious to everyone but you. The North America natives were probably a thousand years or more away from even knowing Europe existed. They didn't have the technology to build and sail ocean going ships and didn't need it. necessity is the mother of invention as they say.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Think, Jack. If you had a few hundred square miles of some of the most wonderful countryside in the world to play in, why in the hell would you want to spend months travelling to a crowded, dirty continent?"

Think, AnnaG. Since the North American "natives" had no idea what kind of land Europe was, the only concievable reason they never set sail there was the total lack of curiousity and their lack of desire to improve themselves and their lives.

"Before Europeans showed up in the 15th century, there were extremely few wars in North America. There were occassional territorial disputes, some clans raided neighboring clans, but quite a few clans were entirely peaceful and others left them alone. Learn a little history sometime. It might do you good and prevent you from making some really dumb posts like this one."

AnnaG, I presume you got that from the well-documented written history of and by the North American "natives".

Last edited:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"The North America natives were probably a thousand years or more away from even knowing Europe existed."

Why? The Europeans had some inkling about other lands. Admmittedly, they "discovered" America, instead of finding a route to India, but they, at least tried.

Besides, with all the wonderful stuff we hear about the science of the Maya and the Aztecs, how come they were a thousand years behind Europe?a