Karrie's Ramblings on her France Trip

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, since so much of my Paris/Nice trip was focused around museums and old castles and historical architecture, even though I'm not ready to start writing it all out, I wanted to start a thread to show some of the stuff that I saw that I really enjoyed.

Zan and I were discussing sculpture, and this was one that I really liked, child of Aphrodite and Hermes.... Hermaphrodite.

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay.. those links don't work, so here's this instead, even though they're not as good a pics.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Here you are Zan, one of the spiral staircases at Versailles. You can thank hubby for being quicker than I ever am about downloading the memory card to the comps. lol.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Here's a statue at the Louvre that made me miss my kids for a moment... the boy was so close to the size of my son that I kind of ached to hug him.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oddly enough, of all the great examples of sculpture kicking around Paris, and especially at the Louvre, this gentleman here gave me that sense that he just might start talking to us at any moment. The detail on him was exquisite.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
They're lovely Karrie! thank you for sharing them... and I do see what you meant about the stairs... so amazing to me to see history recorded by the millions upon millions of feet that walked those stairs, slowly wearing them down like that.

ps - thank you Karrie's hubby! ;)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Dass a lotta feet! My daughter is impressed with the orb.... Ghosthunters eh? Kid and the tortoise kind of reminds me of being a kid on the Kawarthas (but a snapper that size would behoove a jock strap!)

Thanks!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I asked because that's what popped into my head when I saw it. 16 KMs of exhibits, I would do dangerous things to spend a year there. I don't get to many museums and I'd absolutly love to. I am envious.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol. It wasn't overly friendly, but, I didn't get a 'crime' vibe from Nice... at least not during the day. But, it never pays to be careless in a foreign city.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
interesting to see you so intrigued by the statues and the worn stairs. they seem quite commonplace to me, although you certainly picked some great examples of sculpture. Did you visit the Rodin museum in paris?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
interesting to see you so intrigued by the statues and the worn stairs. they seem quite commonplace to me, although you certainly picked some great examples of sculpture. Did you visit the Rodin museum in paris?

Yes, you grew up around that sort of history. I grew up within this space, this vast, expanse of newborn country, with almost no history except that written upon the landscape by weather.

In Paris we did le Tour d'Eiffel, l'Arc de Triomphe, Versailles, le Musee d'Erotisme, a river tour on the Seine, walked around the outside of Notre Dame, le Louvre.... and that was about all we had time for. lol. I would have loved to see the Rodin Museum. Another trip perhaps.