The evolution of the English language

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

I'm not too sure about that. There are lots of languages.

I don't believe the ice is receding. There's more now in the Actic sand Antarctic than there was a few years ago.

Visit Canada. We can show you receding ice in both the mountains and on the Arctic archipelago.

Murphy
It's pointless to explain anything to him. He's dim. You'll have better luck talking to a dog. He doesn't grasp the meaning of articles or reports. He blindly trusts the BBC.

Seriously, you're trying to reason with the British version of selfsame.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Visit Canada. We can show you receding ice in both the mountains and on the Arctic archipelago.

I bet you couldn't.

Curious Cdn

I bet you couldn't.

Try the Columbia Ice Fields for a start. That glacier is particularly accessible.

www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jas...athabasca.aspx (external - login to view)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Icefield (external - login to view)

Blackleaf
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Try the Columbia Ice Fields for a start. That glacier is particularly accessible.

Parks Canada - Jasper National Park - Columbia Icefield Area and the Athabasca Glacier (external - login to view)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Icefield (external - login to view)

Don't worry. A few years from now and it'll be growing again. Glaciers retreat and grow and retreat and grow. Tis the way of things.

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by MurphyView Post

It's pointless to explain anything to him. He's dim. You'll have better luck talking to a dog. He doesn't grasp the meaning of articles or reports. He blindly trusts the BBC.

Seriously, you're trying to reason with the British version of selfsame.

That's the Canadian version of selfsame arguing with the British version of selfsame

popcorn Murph?

German is a derivative of protoeuropean

Murphy
No. I enjoy watching BL get confused. Which Cdn argues with BL?

Danbones
er...all of us?

lol
the "canadian" I meant in my quote was CC
Heh hEh
(IMHO....)

Murphy
I see. I don't argue with BL. He's too dim. It would be unfair. He tries to keep up, but fails miserably.

darkbeaver
+1
We Are Taught 'Junk Science' As Truth

95% of status quo scientists FAIL this simple SCIENCE QUIZ… (take it yourself and see why)

We Are Taught 'Junk Science' As Truth - 12160 (external - login to view)

Danbones
Hey, they use the CO2 and temp graphs I have posted around here somewhere:
yee haw!
I are smort!
btw, the light bends around the moon during eclipses
so it has to have more then one velocity to bend due to gravity

I am a sEEentist

White_Unifier

Japanese probably has more loanwords than any other language. Even the very Japanese "Pokémon" comes from the English "pocket monster".

Around 42% of words in English are loanwords, although the vast majority of the words we speak in normal everyday speech are Anglo-Saxon.

Just 2% of Chinese words are loanwords.

That's what makes Chinese more logical and easier to learn. Computer is diannao (electric brain), man (as in adult male) is nanren (male person), woman is nuren (female person), boy is nanhai (male child), girl is nuhai (female child). nan means male when referring to a human, gong when referring to an animal. nu means female when referring to a human, mu when referring to an animal. So gongji is rooster, muji is hen. gongzhu is boar, muzhu is sow. gongniu is ox, muniu is cow. etc.

Most of the language comprises compound words made up of such logically combined roots.

Curious Cdn

Don't worry. A few years from now and it'll be growing again. Glaciers retreat and grow and retreat and grow. Tis the way of things.

Maybe, the Alt-Reich is dead wrong.

darkbeaver
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

Hey, they use the CO2 and temp graphs I have posted around here somewhere:
yee haw!
I are smort!
btw, the light bends around the moon during eclipses
so it has to have more then one velocity to bend due to gravity

I am a sEEentist

I know yer smart. I 'll post an interesting bit about gravity when I remember where I put it.

I are a sighintest *** wheel.
Last edited by darkbeaver; 4 weeks ago at 06:41 PM..

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

That's the Canadian version of selfsame arguing with the British version of selfsame

popcorn Murph?

German is a derivative of protoeuropean

All Indo-European languages are derivatives of Proto-Indo-European.