400-year-old shopping list for 'green fish' found under floorboards in Tudor mansion

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A 400-year-old shopping list for 'green fish', pewter spoons and a new frying pan has been discovered under the floorboards of a historic Tudor mansion in Kent.

The shopping list and two other letters, dating from 1603, 1622 and 1633, were discovered at Knole House in Sevenoaks by archaeology volunteer Jim Parker and building contractor Dan Morrison during a £19.8 million restoration project currently happening at the huge home, which is run the by National Trust.

All three were written on rag paper, a high quality parchment popular during the 17th century.

Two letters, dated May 1603 and October 1633, were discovered by Mr Parker under the floorboards in one of the attics in the South Barracks.

400-year-old shopping list for 'green fish', pewter spoons and a new frying pan is discovered under the floorboards of a historic Tudor mansion

A 440-year-old shopping list and two letters have been discovered by volunteers at Knole House in Sevenoaks, Kent
The house, which is run the by National Trust, is currently undergoing a £19.8 million restoration project
The documents have been cleaned and conserved by Jan Cutajar, a University College London intern
Shopping list requests for household items, such as 'green fish' and 'pewter spoons', to be sent to Copt Hall

By Isobel Frodsham For Mailonline
22 January 2017

A 400-year-old shopping list for 'green fish', pewter spoons and a new frying pan has been discovered under the floorboards of a historic Tudor mansion in Kent.

The shopping list and two other letters, dating from 1603, 1622 and 1633, were discovered at Knole House in Sevenoaks by archaeology volunteer Jim Parker and building contractor Dan Morrison during a £19.8 million restoration project currently happening at the huge home, which is run the by National Trust.

All three were written on rag paper, a high quality parchment popular during the 17th century.

Two letters, dated May 1603 and October 1633, were discovered by Mr Parker under the floorboards in one of the attics in the South Barracks.

A 400-year-old shopping list for 'green fish', pewter spoons and a new frying pan has been discovered under the floorboards of historic Tudor mansion Knole House in Sevenoaks, Kent

The shopping list and two other letters, dating from 1603, 1622 and 1633, were discovered by archaeology volunteer Jim Parker and building contractor Dan Morrison

The third, from February 1622, was found by Mr Morrison in the debris in a ceiling void close to the Upper King's Room, suggesting it may have fallen through over the centuries from the attic above to its final resting place.

Having lain undiscovered for centuries, the letters have now undergone careful cleaning and conservation, made possible by equipment at the Institute of Archaeology Conservation Lab including infrared imaging and carried out by Jan Cutajar, a University College London intern on placement at Knole.

Through this work, the letter dating 1633 is now completely legible.

It requests that household items - such as green fish and pewter spoons - be sent to Copt Hall, a stately home in Essex, from an unnamed house in London.

The letter, believed to have been written by a high ranking servant, reads:

'Mr Bilby, I pray p[ro]vide to be sent too morrow in ye Cart some Greenfish, The Lights from my Lady Cranfeild[es] Cham[ber] 2 dozen of Pewter spoon[es]: one greate fireshovell for ye nursery; and ye o[t]hers which were sent to be exchanged for some of a better fashion, a new frying pan together with a note of ye prises of such Commoditie for ye rest.

'Octobre 1633

'Copthall

'Your loving friend

'Robert Draper'

The letters have now been restored by Jan Cutajar, a University College London intern on placement at Knole, and the letter dating 1633 is now completely legible

All three were written on rag paper, a high quality parchment popular during the 17th century, and will now go on display in the visitor centre at Knole for the public

The letter, believed to have been written by a high ranking servant, reads: 'Mr Bilby, I pray p[ro]vide to be sent too morrow in ye Cart some Greenfish, The Lights from my Lady Cranfeild[es] Cham[ber] 2 dozen of Pewter spoon[es]: one greate fireshovell for ye nursery; and ye o[t]hers which were sent to be exchanged for some of a better fashion, a new frying pan together with a note of ye prises of such Commoditie for ye rest. Octobre 1633, Copthall, Your loving friend, Robert Draper'

Records at Knole show that many large items, including trunks of linen and furniture, were moved from Copt Hall to Knole around the time the letter was written.

The 1603 letter still requires further work to be deciphered but the 1622 letter, which is still currently undergoing conservation, has a partial transcription which reads:

'The xviijth of February 1622

[Received] by us the poore prisoners in [ILLEGIBLE] the [ILLEGIBLE]

[from the] right honourable the Earle of Middlesex our worthy [ILLEGIBLE]

[by the hands] of Mr Ayers the some of three Shillings [ILLEGIBLE]

[ILLEGIBLE] for our releefe & succour for which wee give [good]

[ILLEGIBLE] for all our good benefactors.

Richard Roger [ILLEGIBLE]'

A £19.8 million restoration project is currently happening at the huge home, which is run the by National Trust. The restoration will take five years in total - with two to go - and is supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund

Records at Knole show that many large items, including trunks of linen and furniture, were moved from Copt Hall to Knole around the time the letter was written

Nathalie Cohen, regional archaeologist for the National Trust, said: 'It's extremely rare to uncover letters dating back to the 17th century, let alone those that give us an insight into the management of the households of the wealthy, and the movement of items from one place to another.

'Their good condition makes this a particularly exciting discovery.'

She adds: 'At Knole our typical finds relate to the maintenance of the house such as wiring and nails or things visitors have dropped such as cigarette packets and ticket stubs.

'These letters are significant as artefacts but also for the insights they give us into the correspondence of the early seventeenth century.'

The unearthing of the historic letters came during the extensive conservation project currently underway at Knole.

Trunks filled with papers were stored in the attic after the move, explaining how some may have slipped beneath the floorboards

As well as carrying out vital conservation, the £19.8 million restoration project will open more space to the public including, for the first time, some of the attic spaces

The restoration will take five years in total - with two to go - and cost £19.8 million, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

As well as carrying out vital conservation, the project will open more space to the public including, for the first time, some of the attic spaces.

Following the discoveries of the letters, volunteer Mr Parker said: 'I was very excited to see some pieces of paper hidden underneath some rush matting.

'The first piece was folded and very dusty. We realised it was a letter and there was writing on it which looked like a seventeenth century hand. I was nicknamed 'Jimdiana Jones' after that.'

The rare documents will now go on display in the visitor centre at Knole for the public to see for themselves.

Hannah Kay, general manager at Knole, said: 'The discovery of these letters is a prime example of how important the work being undertaken here is to Knole.

'We regularly make new finds, but such rare items mark a particularly special moment for us - made all the more exceptional by the fact that it was our dedicated volunteer team who came across them.

'By digging deeper into the past we will continue to uncover Knole's secrets, and open up more of this historic house for the future.'

What is the history of Knole House?

Knole House is situated in Sevenoaks in western Kent

The construction of Knole House, which sits in 1000 acres of park land, started in the late 15th century.

It is one of Britain's largest houses and has 365 rooms, 52 staircases, 12 entrances and seven courtyards.

Its former famous owners include Henry VIII who, although records do not show him residing there, would hunt deer in its grounds.

It was passed onto Elizabeth I by her father, and portraits of the Tudor monarchs are just some of the many treasures at the estate.

Read more: 400-year-old shopping list is discovered at Knole House | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You nation sure does misplace a lot of things and then forgets where they are. Bad memory come from not enough 02 getting to the brain.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Apparently another 400 year scribble was found on that grocery list.

It read...

"Caught Harold drinking out of the milk carton again. Purchase bagged version instead."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You nation sure does misplace a lot of things and then forgets where they are. Bad memory come from not enough 02 getting to the brain.

Well that's a good things. It gives archaeologists plenty to do.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Apparently another 400 year scribble was found on that grocery list.

It read...

"Caught Harold drinking out of the milk carton again. Purchase bagged version instead."

I wonder if people 400 years from now will look at our CanadianContent posts and wonder how archaic we seem.

Probably the only growth industry in the UK. You guys are overworking the 3D printers.

In Canada archaeologists are lucky if they find coins predating 1900.

"The difference between America and England is that Americans think 100 years is a long time while the English think 100 miles is a long way." - Earle Hitchner, Wall Street Journal

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Not only are we a big country which compounds the 'looking' part but we are mere babes compared to how long the UK has been around. Perhaps we can still remember where we put things which kind of kills that industry over here. We have some crackheads who know how to look in places most pople would never think of looking. Want a few 100,000 to take a look around your country??

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Want a few 100,000 to take a look around your country??

The more the merrier. They can help me see if there is Roman or Anglo-Saxon treasure buried in my garden that might make me a few bob.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Green Fish ... the roots of that fine British cuisine, loved the World over.

The more the merrier. They can help me see if there is Roman or Anglo-Saxon treasure buried in my garden that might make me a few bob.

Maybe, you can get John Gater to do "Geophys" on your back garden.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
the geologists and archelogists who dated the cooper digs on manitoulin island in georgian bay at aprox. 100,000 years old, were all summarily fired, and so was the government guy who hired them.
We have a lot more history here then we are allowed to know

I have a self sharpening stone skin scraper that by its location ( compared to the abandoned shorelines created as the level great lakes has fallen since ) may be as old as the melting of the glaciers. The way it was situated in the glacial till, indicate it was drooped into water, and sank, and it was a couple hundred feet above the current level of the bay, in undisturbed soil, at the bottom of an excavated sand pit, at the level where they had stopped digging because of the grade size of the pebbles.
AND IT'S SELF SHARPENING!!!

the line about 100 years and 100 miles was a good one BL

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
the geologists and archelogist who dated the cooper digs on manitoulin island in georgian bay who dated the site at 100,000 years old were all summarily fired and so wa the guy who hired them
we have a lot more history here then we are allowed to know

I have a self sharpening stone skin scraper that by its location ( compared to the abandoned shorelines created as the level great lakes has fallen since ) may be as old as the melting of the glaciers.
AND IT'S SELF SHARPENING!!!

the line about 100 years and 100 miles was a good BL

There are certainly finds all over the Americas a lot older than "Clovis" that aren't being admitted to because they don't fit the "accepted model". Bad Science.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Yes I agree
...and mine was dated at 400 years old or older by the head archaeologist for Ontario at the time, a Dr Jory.
He did not know the details of the place I found it at, and he did not notice the self sharpening feature
which is the coolest freakin thing ever in a stone tool.
:)

Incidentally I am in the land of Etienne Brule, where Champlain's first christian mass in upper Canada took place, and the Jesuit relations were written just down the road from the house I grew up in. Deganahwida the creator of the Iroquois Six nations, and that original and still functioning, constitution were born here too.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How about I give you a pamphlet on how to excavate the whole yard in a logical pattern that leaves you with something like a terraced garden if that suits your fancy? (while moving the material just once) Just tell them you dropped some crack and they will go 24/7 to dig the place up.
Any certain time of the day when you're not home at (insert address here)?

Love the way you said 'the more the merrier'. You prefer a glass pipe or the long stemmed clay one?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Yes I agree
...and mine was dated at 400 years old or older by the head archaeologist for Ontario at the time, a Dr Jory.
He did not know the details of the place I found it at, and he did not notice the self sharpening feature

Incidentally I am in the land of Etienne Brule, where Champlain's first christian mass in upper Canada took place, and the Jesuit relations were written just down the road from the house I grew up in. Deganahwida the creator of the Iroquois Six nations, and that original and still functioning, constitution were born here too.

Do you still have the recipe for barbequed Jesuit?

By the way, I was educated by Jesuits, for a time.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Yes I agree

That description didn't get any results in my navigation software. How about a postal code or IP?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
lol
That was all the code you are going to get
use your enigma machine

BBQ'ed Jesuit - the secret is to use apple wood I guess
...and hopefully they removed the packaging prior to roasting

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I prefer the updated one that is about the '30's and why all the black dirt blew away. It was so fertilizer plants controlled the fields and if they had crops or not. Industrial farming practices came in about then and 30 years later it was a completed task as it claimed even the homesteads.

Were the Hobo towns of that particular a place of danger or were the destitute helping each other survive?