Stunning medieval ring found in Sherwood Forest could be worth £70,000

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Sherwood Forest is best known for the legend of Robin Hood - the outlaw who robbed the rich to give to the poor.

Now an amateur treasure hunter may have found his own fortune in the Nottinghamshire woodland.

A medieval ring discovered in the dirt and thought to date back to the 14th century could be worth up to £70,000 ($87,000).

Stunning medieval ring found in Robin Hood's Sherwood Forest could bag an amateur treasure hunter £70,000

The artefact is thought to date back to the 14th century
Mark Thompson, 34, discovered the ring in the dirt using a metal detector
The find is currently undergoing tests at the British Museum so that it can be formally identified as treasure

By Libby Plummer For Mailonline and Bournemouth News And Picture Service
19 December 2016

Sherwood Forest is best known for the legend of Robin Hood - the outlaw who robbed the rich to give to the poor.

Now an amateur treasure hunter may have found his own fortune in the Nottinghamshire woodland.

A medieval ring discovered in the dirt and thought to date back to the 14th century could be worth up to £70,000 ($87,000).

A medieval ring discovered in the dirt of Sherwood Forest by an amateur treasure hunter and thought to date back to the 14th century, could be worth up to £70,000 ($87,000)

The artefact was discovered by Mark Thompson, who makes his living spray-painting forklift trucks, who had been in the famous Nottinghamshire woodland for just 20 minutes when his metal detector sounded.

The 34-year-old, who had only taken up the hobby 18 months before, was expecting to find something innocuous - perhaps some dropped money or rubbish left behind by holidaymakers.

But as he shovelled away at the soil he saw a glint of gold, and after removing the surrounding dirt he uncovered an ornate piece of jewellery which appeared to be adorned with a precious sapphire.

Mr Thompson has reported the find and it is now going through the treasure hunting process, which he hopes could end in him receiving a windfall.

He has consulted with auctioneers who have suggested it could be worth anywhere between £20,000 ($25,000) and £70,000 ($87,000).

Mr Thompson said: 'I had been out metal detecting with a group for about 20 minutes when I heard the signal.

'I was really excited when I saw that it was gold, but I didn't realise at that point just how significant it might be.

Amateur treasure hunter Mark Thompson uncovered the ring in the dirt (left) using a metal detector. It is believed the ring, which is engraved with an infant Christ on one side and a female saint on the other, dates from the 14th century

A report into the ring by Dot Boughton, a regional finds liaison officer, compares the stone with one used on the tomb of former Archbishop of Canterbury William Wytlesey, who died in 1374

The ring was discovered covered in dirt in Nottinghamshire's Sherwood Forest, most well known for the legend of Robin Hood - the outlaw who robbed the rich to give to the poor

Sherwood Forest

'I called my friend who came down to take a look and help see whether there was anything else related nearby.

'It's the find of a lifetime - I never expected to unearth anything like that. I'm still in shock when I think about it - it was such an exhilarating moment.

'If it does prove to be as valuable as we think it might be, it would completely change my life.

Mark Thompson, 34, who makes his living spray-painting forklift trucks, found the ring after just 20 minutes in the forest

'I'm renting at the moment and I'd love to be able to buy a house or move into somewhere more comfortable.'

Dot Boughton, a regional finds liaison officer, confirmed that the ring is undergoing tests at the British Museum and the case has been referred to the coroner so it can be formally classified as treasure.

It is believed the ring, which is engraved with an infant Christ on one side and a female saint on the other, dates from the 14th century.

Ms Boughton's report into the ring compares the stone with one used on the tomb of former Archbishop of Canterbury William Wytlesey, who died in 1374.

Mr Thompson is now waiting for the coroner to set a date for an inquest to confirm the ring is treasure.

If it is, it will be valued by experts and offered to museums to purchase. Mr Thompson will receive the reward as the finder.

Another amateur treasure hunter, who unearthed a precious Tudor ring in North Yorkshire, recently received a five-figure sum for his find.

The 15th century ring was 80 per cent gold, containing a ruby and an emerald.

Lee Rossiter found the Green Hammerton Ring in North Yorkshire, using a cheap metal detector he had bought on eBay.

WHO WAS ROBIN HOOD?

The legend of Robin Hood is believed to date back to the reign of King John in the 13th century.

He was one of three prominent outlaws, including Fulk Fitzwarin and Eustace the Monk, but while the latter two were clearly identified historical figures, it is unclear who exactly Robin Hood was.

Forests during this time were covered by forest law and were protected as private places for the king, where he could hunt.

An illustration showing Robin Hood and his Merry Men practicing with their longbows

Many fugitives used these areas, however, to hide out and both Sherwood and Barnsdale Forest feature heavily in the legends.

Robin Hood was first referred to in the late 14th century and tales throughout the 15th century including such tales as Robin Hood and the Monk, and Robin Hood and Guy of Gisborne.

During this time, there are also accounts of people taking on the name Robin Hood, or Robehod, to imitate the original, which is why there is some confusion over his true identity.

The tales place Robin Hood in the north of England, but refer to both Barnsdale and Sherwood.

Experts believe the legend may have derived from two separate sources, and could have referred to two separate ‘Robin Hoods’.

An epitaph recorded in 1702 claims Robin Hood was buried in Kirklees Priory, in West Yorkshire, where the legend claims he was killed, supposedly by the Sheriff of Nottingham, and dates to 1247.

Medieval ring found in Robin Hood's Sherwood Forest could be worth £70,000 | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That's a nice sapphire. It must have been extremely rare, back then. Temporal or Church Royalty, only ...

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Something of that quality must be Episcopal Ring. Curious to wonder how it ended up on a forest floor, miles from a Cathedral, where it would have been a badge of office and highly prized.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Something of that quality must be Episcopal Ring. Curious to wonder how it ended up in a forest, miles from a Cathedral, where it would have been a badge of office and highly prized.

That scumbag Robin Hood probably nicked it.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Not necessarily a swine. A rich fellow, yes, but not all rich fellows are swines.

It's pretty hard to become a rich fellow without "doing it" to someone else. Back in the Middle Ages, it was either because you were a thug, your ancestor was a thug or you surrounded yourself with and employed thugs.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's pretty hard to become a rich fellow without "doing it" to someone else. Back in the Middle Ages, it was either because you were a thug, your ancestor was a thug or you surrounded yourself with and employed thugs.

Or you could have been royalty, or a nobleman (or married to one), or a successful businessman: the fourteenth century equivalent of Bill Gates or Richard Branson.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Or you could have been royalty, or a nobleman (or married to one), or a successful businessman: the fourteenth century equivalent of Bill Gates or Richard Branson.

Yes. The guy who got the huge royalties for inventing the cod piece ...