Britskrieg! New book claims the Nazis DID set foot on UK soil during WWII

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nazi commandos raided the Isle of Wight during the Second World War in a sabotage operation that has been hushed up for more than 70 years, according to a new book.

The revelations throw into doubt the proud wartime boast that no German forces engaged in active military service ever encroached upon UK soil during the conflict.

Britskrieg! New book claims the Nazis DID set foot on UK soil during WWII by raiding a radar station on the Isle of Wight in a sabotage operation that has been hushed up for over 70 years

New book claims Nazi commandos raided the Isle of Wight during the Second World War
Revelations throw wartime boast no German forces came to the UK into doubt
Author Adrian Searle uncovered an account from a German soldier, Dr Dietrich Andernacht

By Mark Nicol Defence Correspondent For The Mail On Sunday
18 December 2016

Nazi commandos raided the Isle of Wight during the Second World War in a sabotage operation that has been hushed up for more than 70 years, according to a new book.

The revelations throw into doubt the proud wartime boast that no German forces engaged in active military service ever encroached upon UK soil during the conflict.

Author Adrian Searle uncovered an account from a German soldier, Dr Dietrich Andernacht, who said he was part of a secret operation to steal equipment from the RAF St Lawrence radar station on August 15 1943.

German troops crossing the Rhine in a dinghy, one of a series of stereo photographic cards supplied with the book Der Kampf im Westen

Mr Searle claims up to 12 highly trained Germans were transported in U-boats from the Channel Islands (the British Crown Dependency was the only part of the British Isles to be occupied by Nazi Germany). They came ashore in dinghies but were spotted and were then involved in a gun battle with British soldiers.

He told The Mail on Sunday: ‘The Germans had a relatively easy crossing but I think they were shocked to be met by regular British soldiers rather than the Home Guard. It is unclear whether any British soldiers were killed or wounded. This incident was wiped from the war history within hours of it taking place, with witnesses made to sign the Official Secrets Act.

‘It is time for the Government to come clean. This incident should be added to Britain’s wartime story.’

It is understood that the raiding party gained access to the radar station and searched the building for cathode-ray direction-finding equipment. Log books from the time kept by the Air Raid Precautions (ARP) service note: ‘Special Report, police report two dinghies full of Germans in the sea. Seen at 02.18hrs, reported to police through Navy.’

Woody Bay, Isle of Wight, with the radar pylons of RAF St Lawrence on the cliff top

Derek Kent, a teenage dispatch rider for the ARP at the time, also told how quickly the ‘cover-up’ began. He said: ‘We heard about it when we were sent to the area. They said the Germans had been spotted out to sea off St Lawrence. Just a day later a man dressed in a suit came down to see us and I was asked to sign the Official Secrets Act.’

The ‘raid on the radar’ is not mentioned in official British or German war diaries. According to Mr Searle, British intelligence officers went through German military records after the war to ‘weed’ out anything potentially embarrassing to the UK.

Churchill’s Last Wartime Secret, by Adrian Searle, is published by Pen & Sword Military at £19.99.

Read more: New book claims the Nazis DID set foot on UK soil during WWII* | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'm really surprised that a top notch military like Germany's only launched one commando raid on the British coast. It is almost unbelievable that there are not many more of these.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm really surprised that a top notch military like Germany's only launched one commando raid on the British coast. It is almost unbelievable that there are not many more of these.

I think the German military capabilities of World War II have been overrated.

The German military wasn't as mechanised as the French and British militaries, for example, even though people think of it as being highly mechanised.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I think the German military capabilities of World War II have been overrated.

I think that too msny secrets have been buried. I agree, though, that the Germans were never capable of invading Britain, not even right after Dunkirk. It took years for the Allies to tool up and train for that invasion in reverse and the Germans had done no other preparatuon than gathering uo canal barges with which to cross the Channel(!)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
German capabilities were second to none until someone finally listened and set about rebuilding a military force modern enough to slow bitzkreig down some. Remember ... Bismark's guns couldn't be trained to move slow enough to shoot down Brit Swordfishes

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
German capabilities were second to none until someone finally listened and set about rebuilding a military force modern enough to slow bitzkreig down some. Remember ... Bismark's guns couldn't be trained to move slow enough to shoot down Brit Swordfishes

They never had the ability to move an army across the English Channel .. not ever .. because they never planned for it. It took years for the Allies to do it in reverse. It was a massively hard thing to do and the Germans had done zero preparation for it, which is probably the main reason why it ever happened.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think that too msny secrets have been buried. I agree, though, that the Germans were never capable of invading Britain, not even right after Dunkirk. It took years for the Allies to tool up and train for that invasion in reverse and the Germans had done no other preparatuon than gathering uo canal barges with which to cross the Channel(!)

The Germans were still bringing out horse-drawn troop-carrying vehicles as late as 1941.

The hapless French also made the Germans look better than they actually were.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If it wasn't for radar and Fighter Command holding planes on the deck almost to the very last moment, Briain couldn't have held out - whether they had pub crawlers with pitchforks lining the beaches or not. German intelligence seemed to indicate without her air force, she'd sue for peace or join them

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The Germans landed in Canada. This one is cofirmed because they left gear behind them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Station_Kurt

There is anicdotal of lots of other landings from U-Boats. Ths father of an old sailing budy served on and survived two U-Boats and he said that he went ashore near Haifax, one night. I'll bet that they did thst all over, all of the time along the British coastline. The British did it in reverse, a lot.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If it wasn't for radar and Fighter Command holding planes on the deck almost to the very last moment, Briain couldn't have held out - whether they had pub crawlers with pitchforks lining the beaches or not. German intelligence seemed to indicate without her air force, she'd sue for peace or join them

Britain would never have allied herself with Nazi Germany nor would she have surrendered. There were plans to move the government far away to Canada in the event of a German occupation.

The only part of the British Isles to be occupied by the Germans was the Channel Islands and I think they were last to be liberated.

And Britain's defences against invasion or in the event of invasion were much stronger and more organised than many people today think they were.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

No, the Germans would never have even made it across the Channel. It would ever have gotten to the pitchforks. You cannot cross the English Channel in long, flat bottom, steep sided, narrow canal barges... not possible. They would have lost an entire army to the sea without being attacked by that much larger Royal Navy.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
No, the Germans would never have even made it across the Channel. It would ever have gotten to the pitchforks. You cannot cross the English Channel in long, flat bottom, steep sided, narrow canal barges... not possible. They would have lost an entire army to the sea without being attacked by that much larger Royal Navy.
A navy isn't much good when the other guy controls the sky over it ... but like we've both said, invasion wasn't intended at the outset

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
A navy isn't much good when the other guy controls the sky over it

Canal barges are for canals ... only. Please show me the Kreigsmarine's landing ships, landing craft, dozens of mine sweepers, etc.. It's boots on the ground that win wars, not aircraft mounted artillary (a lesson that not too many politcians get, to this day).

It didn't happen because it couldn't have happened

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Why are you arguing with yourself?

BTW - Canal barges, rowboats and unsuitable motor launches did a pretty good impression of an unplanned and hastily-assembled cross-channel de-invasion at Dunkirk....

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Canal barges are for canals ... only. Please show me the Kreigsmarine's landing ships, landing craft, dozens of mine sweepers, etc.. It's boots on the ground that win wars, not aircraft mounted artillary (a lesson that not too many politcians get, to this day).

It didn't happen because it couldn't have happened

And even if they had all that stuff, this is what would have been awaiting them:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I'm not totally surprised. The Wehrmacht (the regular army not associated with the Nazi Party) and the Waffen SS (the Nazi Party's military wing) did not necessarily get along well. Members of the Wehrmacht, though obligated to swear loyalty to Hitler, did not necessarily support him at heart. In fact, the concentration camps were a well-kept secret from most if not all of the Wehrmacht, something that the Waffen SS had to administer quite secretly from the standard military for the most part.

Resistance to the Nazi party also existed in Germany and elsewhere. In Germany, aside from an attempted assassination attempt on the Fuerer, most German resistance was of a passive-aggressive nature. Members of the SDP, with the help of the Swedish government, helped Jews obtain fake Swedish passports to escape to Sweden. The Nazi Party had also backed down in the face of public protests against the secret killing of the elderly in palliative care.

With the above in mind, the Nazi Party could not operate particularly efficiently since it was at war against foreign states while being limited in the degree to which it could count on the support of its own people. this meant a large propaganda bureaucracy and a complicated process for vetting collaborators whom the Nazi Party could trust. Combine that with a state of war and British naval embargo, and Germany's financial resources were strained.

A country could have the most powerful military in the world, but if it doesn't have the economic means of feeding that military and can trust it only to a limited degree, then that military force will not be able to operate at full capacity. firstly, the government cannot replace its equipment and ammunition. Secondly, soldiers cannot access all of the information that could help them to better do their jobs, with the government always trying to keep the army away from concentration camps and other sensitive areas, or Waffen SS officers always struggling to gain the trust of their Wehrmacht subordinates while always strugging to keep the truth (whether of concentration camps or economic statistics with regards to the replenishment of equipment, soldiers, and ammunition) secret from them.