Wood from a log boat older than the pyramids is found in Monmouthshire

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Archaeologists in Monmouthshire, Wales, believe they have found wood from a logboat dating back to the New Stone Age.

The discovery was made on a building site, where work has now been halted.

The pieces of wood have been dated to 3210BC and were found in an area that was once thought to be a lake caused by an Ice Age blockage in the Wye gorge.

Wood from a log boat older than the pyramids is found in Wales: 5,000-year-old timber is discovered under a building site

Five pieces of oak timber were found under a housing development

The prehistoric remains are believed to be from the New Stone Age

Researchers are appealing to the council to put an archaeological brief on other developments in the area, where there may be other remains

By Shivali Best For Mailonline
31 August 2016

Archaeologists in Monmouthshire, Wales, believe they have found wood from a logboat dating back to the New Stone Age.

The discovery was made on a building site, where work has now been halted.

The pieces of wood have been dated to 3210BC and were found in an area that was once thought to be a lake caused by an Ice Age blockage in the Wye gorge.

Archaeologists in Monmouthshire believe they have found wood from a logboat dating back to the New Stone Age

Steve Clarke, founder of Monmouth Archaeology, told Wales Online: 'As we had just discovered a rich Bronze Age settlement a few fields away we thought the remains would turn out to be Bronze Age.

'So it was a real surprise when the dates came back as being twice as old.'

Two years ago, and less than 1,500 metres away, boat-shaped channels were found in the clay at right angles to the lake.

These showed evidence of woodworking with flints, which archaeologists interpreted as prehistoric boat-building.

On the same estate, they also identified remains of a crannog – a building on stilts – which dates back to 2,917 BC.

Five pieces of timber were found on the site, all made of oak.

Builders in Monmouth were in for a shock when they discovered timbers on a site, believed to be from a 5,000-year-old log boat. Pictured is Steven Clarke, founder of Monmouth Archaeology, with the findings

Five pieces of timber were found on the building site in Monmouth, all made of oak

The largest of the timbers is thought to be the gunwale at the stern of the logboat, due to its oval-shaped open-ended hole which is 4.8cm wide, which would have been attached to a rope

Two of the pieces have worked features, which suggests that they were part of a 5,000-year-old logboat.

In 1978, a maritime archaeology expert wrote criteria under which the remains have to have at least two of six features to be considered part of a logboat.

The oak found in Monmouth meets four of the six, strongly suggesting it belonged to a boat.

The site in Monmouth lies on the shore of what was once a huge lake caused by an Ice Age blockage in the Wye gorge

The researchers are now appealing to the local council to put an archaeological brief on other developments in the area, where they believe there may be other Stone Age remains

The largest of the timbers is thought to be the gunwale at the stern of the logboat, due to its oval-shaped open-ended hole which is 4.8cm wide, and would have been attached to a rope.

The second worked timber is thought to be part of the hull of the boat, with a larger hole measuring 7.5cm.

The researchers are now appealing to the local council to put an archaeological brief on other developments in the area, where they believe there may be other Stone Age remains.

Work on the 470-house development was suspended temporarily to give archaeologists time to investigate the site

EARLIER FINDS IN THE AREA

How the Monmouth crannog would have looked

Two years ago, and less than 1500 metres away, boat-shaped channels were found in the clay at right angles to the lake.

These showed evidence of woodworking with flints, which archaeologists interpreted as prehistoric boat-building.

On the same estate, they also identified remains of a crannog – a building on stilts – which dates back to 2,917 BC.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
ah..right in tin land

Like I have been saying BL
the celts ancestors were sailing way back then
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZB4ws06rUc

how the hell else do you get red haired white people in Florida
7000 years ago???

and they used the real working celtic cross to get there
would you like me to pull the sword from the stone for you, and explain why its called
"the singing sword" ..AND X CALIBER???
and why the compass rose is called a compass rose??..( think war of the roses)
and why you have faroe islands....?
..and why you have evidence of red deer placed by ship on many of the out islands two by two...

it's all the same connected real history

ooooops from the comments from the youtube vid I posted

"Holy crap! Paging George Orwell. They just took an existing documentary on the Florida Bog Mummies and redid it with a new narrator. The old documentary proved via DNA that the Flordia Bog Mummies were absolutely not related to ANY Native American DNA and were in fact most closely related to European Celtics. Now they have changed the narrator and claim the DNA proves he is most closely related to a Native American Tribe. Completely Orwellian - rewriting history. Down the memory hole!"

there you have it in spades

try this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW_qutaoYwY
Ancient Florida Bog Mummies

and the pyramids are much older then the story goes

Last edited:

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Lots of folklore,bias thoughts about redheads,like quick tempered.
I believe redheads came from the Vikings,mixing with the Scots
What about you,any thoughts about redheads?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
ah..right in tin land

Like I have been saying BL
the celts ancestors were sailing way back then
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZB4ws06rUc

how the hell else do you get red haired white people in Florida
7000 years ago???

and they used the real working celtic cross to get there
would you like me to pull the sword from the stone for you, and explain why its called
"the singing sword" ..AND X CALIBER???
and why the compass rose is called a compass rose??..( think war of the roses)
and why you have faroe islands....?
..and why you have evidence of red deer placed by ship on many of the out islands two by two...

it's all the same connected real history

ooooops from the comments from the youtube vid I posted

"Holy crap! Paging George Orwell. They just took an existing documentary on the Florida Bog Mummies and redid it with a new narrator. The old documentary proved via DNA that the Flordia Bog Mummies were absolutely not related to ANY Native American DNA and were in fact most closely related to European Celtics. Now they have changed the narrator and claim the DNA proves he is most closely related to a Native American Tribe. Completely Orwellian - rewriting history. Down the memory hole!"

there you have it in spades

try this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW_qutaoYwY
Ancient Florida Bog Mummies

and the pyramids are much older then the story goes

These boats were built two or three thousand years before the Celts invaded from the mainland. These were the people who built the henges and barows.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Druids perhaps mixing with Celts and Vikings now just maybe
all our dark age theories are out of whack and those who came to
America came much sooner than believed. Lets one think in much
broader terms

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The Druids perhaps mixing with Celts and Vikings now just maybe
all our dark age theories are out of whack and those who came to
America came much sooner than believed. Lets one think in much
broader terms

That would still be a couple of thousands plus years after this Neolithic boat.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
These boats were built two or three thousand years before the Celts invaded from the mainland. These were the people who built the henges and barows.
right so they imvaded from america eh?

you have been wrong some many times (like the obfuscation mentioned in the first vid ) that without coroborating links
( yours are missing as usual) it's impossible for any of us to take you seriously

Travelling salesmen?
possibly i am answering to one of their descendants as we type...

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
right so they imvaded from america eh?

you have been wrong some many times (like the obfuscation mentioned in the first vid ) that without coroborating links
( yours are missing as usual) it's impossible for any of us to take you seriously

possibly i am answering to one of their descendants as we type...

It's definitely time for your meds, Dumbo. Try amd get a grip, give you head a shake and re-read the thread.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Lots of folklore,bias thoughts about redheads,like quick tempered.
I believe redheads came from the Vikings,mixing with the Scots
What about you,any thoughts about redheads?

Most of the world's redheads live in the UK and Ireland. They are also found outside these two countries but are extremely rare.

Within the UK, they are mainly found within the "Celtic Fringe" - Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Several accounts by Greek writers mention redheaded people. A fragment by the poet Xenophanes describes the Thracians as blue-eyed and red-haired.[4]

In Asia, red hair has been found among the ancient Tocharians, who occupied the Tarim Basin in what is now the northwesternmost province of China. Caucasian Tarim mummies have been found with red hair dating to the 2nd millennium BC.[5]

Red hair is also found amongst Polynesians, and is especially common in some tribes and family groups. In Polynesian culture red hair has traditionally been seen as a sign of descent from high-ranking ancestors and a mark of rulership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair#Biochemistry_and_genetics

I think it was about 500BC that the Celts started migrating to Britain and Ireland. Although there are some historians who believe the Celts never came to Britain at all. There is debate as to whether or not the Iron Age Britons should be regarded as Celtic.

Ungern

Aug 21, 2016
Tournai
I have seen a logboat from one piece of tree.
The tree was not an oak and thus it could collapse.
So the workers have sculpted into the tree perpendicular board !!

Sorry for my english ...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I have seen a logboat from one piece of tree.
The tree was not an oak and thus it could collapse.
So the workers have sculpted into the tree perpendicular board !!

Sorry for my english ...

People in some parts of the world, like in Fiji and Tonga and whatnot, still use logboats today.

Ungern

Aug 21, 2016
Tournai
People in some parts of the world, like in Fiji and Tonga and whatnot, still use logboats today.

Yes ..i know ...
But what is strange here, is the perpandicular board sculpted "from the begining" into the tree ,and not "added" at the logboat (for repair or other)...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yes ..i know ...
But what is strange here, is the perpandicular board sculpted "from the begining" into the tree ,and not "added" at the logboat (for repair or other)...

That is strange.