Last journalists leave Fleet Street

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
At its height, "the Street of Shame" - as it was dubbed by some - was the pinnacle of a journalist's career, with nearly every national paper and several provincial newspapers having offices within a half-mile radius.

Reporters Gavin Sherriff and Darryl Smith worked for the Dundee-based Sunday Post, which closes its London office on Friday.

"There is so much history here, and to be one of the last ones, I feel unworthy of the torch that I'm carrying."

Mr Sherriff, 54, has worked on Fleet Street for 32 years, and rose to become the Post's London chief reporter. He says on his first ever day he walked into a smoke-filled newsroom to the sound of typewriters being bashed about.

"The phones didn't even work properly, I'd be amazed if I called someone and it connected the first time."

Ex-Sunday Express editor Robin Esser said it was once a "very, very important place" through which most of the public received its information.

Robin Esser's Fleet Street career spanned some 60 years, during which time he also became executive managing editor of the Daily Mail.

"At its height, Fleet Street was very, very important because television was in its early childhood, and there was no social media. So 85% of information to the public came through the newspapers," he says.

"The departure of its last two journalists should be marked, but you have to look forward, not backwards."

Liz Hodgkinson worked in Fleet Street in the 1970s and 80s and her book, Ladies Of The Street, covers the story of women working there.

"Fleet Street was always more of a concept than an actual street, with papers like the Sunday People, the Sun and the Mail, all in little streets actually off Fleet Street.

"But they were all within walking distance and part of what collectively was known as Fleet Street.

"When I was at the People we'd have a conference at 11am till about noon. Then the editor would open his drinks cabinet - all Fleet Street editors had one.

"Then we'd take a taxi to the Savoy or Claridges for more drinks. We'd come back about 4pm, and then go out drinking again around 5pm.

"The alcohol flowed like water in Fleet Street.

The first British daily newspaper, the Daily Courant, was published in Fleet Street on 11 March 1702.

Fleet Street: Last journalists leave former home of national papers - BBC News