Were these weapons a gift to the gods?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A collection of Bronze Age weapons buried as a 'gift to the gods' has been discovered in a field.

Farmer Gwyn Rees had been searching a field in Vale of Glamorgan using a metal detector when he stumbled across a piece of a bronze axe head before then coming across two further pieces.

Then when he returned to the field after it had been ploughed, he discovered a bronze spearhead close to the same spot.

Experts believe the weapons had been buried together around 3,700 to 3,500 years ago.

Were these weapons a gift to the gods? Bronze Age axe and spear unearthed in field may have been buried in ritual ceremony

Farmer Gwyn Rees found the fragments of the Bronze Age axe

Later he discovered a bronze spear head close to same spot
in the field
They are thought to be around 3,500 years old and were buried together

Mr Rees also found a 17th Century silver 'fidelity ring' a few years earlier

By Richard Gray for MailOnline
21 July 2016

A collection of Bronze Age weapons buried as a 'gift to the gods' has been discovered in a field.

Farmer Gwyn Rees had been searching a field in Vale of Glamorgan using a metal detector when he stumbled across a piece of a bronze axe head before then coming across two further pieces.

Then when he returned to the field after it had been ploughed, he discovered a bronze spearhead close to the same spot.

Three sections of a bronze axe head and a spear head (pictured) that were thought to have been buried around 3,700 to 3,500 years ago as a 'gift to the gods' have been unearthed by a metal detectorist. Experts believe they had been buried together and were disturbed by ploughing in a field

Experts believe the weapons had been buried together around 3,700 to 3,500 years ago.

Yet the weapons are not Mr Rees' first 'treasure' he has discovered.

In 2012 he found a 17th Century silver fidelity, or wedding, ring inscribed with the words 'I like my choyse'.

Adam Gwilt, curator of the National Museum of Wales, described the axe pieces as being of a type that 'date back to the end of the early Bronze Age, about 1700BC to 1500BC.

Mr Rees found the three axe fragments in August 2014 in a filed close to Wenvoe, Vale of Glamorgan, and then in April the next year he discovered the spear head close to the same spot.

Mr Rees found the three axe fragments in August 2014 in a filed close to Wenvoe, Vale of Glamorgan, and then in April the next year he discovered the spear head close to the same spot

Mr Gwilt said: 'The spear was found at a shallow depth, in the recently ploughed soil. It's my view that they were once buried together.

'This weapon and tool group provides important new information for south-east Wales and western Britain about the technology and culture of a still poorly understood time, towards the end of the early bronze age.

'These objects were made and used by small farming and metalworking communities, who buried their dead in circular mounded monuments, called barrows, which are still to be seen and found across the Vale of Glamorgan.'

In 2012 Mr Rees also found a 17th Century silver 'fidelity ring' which has the words 'I like my choyse' inscribed on the inside (pictured). The ring was found in a different location from the weapons

In a statement issued after the hearing, a spokeswoman for the museum said: 'Archaeologists now think that these prized bronze objects were probably buried during a ritual ceremony, perhaps gifted to the gods and ancestors.

'Many bronze age hoards have been discovered across Britain and Europe, so this discovery fits into a much wider picture of hoarding activity as an expression of early beliefs.'

Farmer Gwyn Rees (pictured) found the fragments of the bronze axe head in August 2014 before discovering the spear a few months later close by

The Vale of Glamorgan, where the axe and spear were found in a field

The discoveries emerged at an inquest to decide whether they could be officially classified as treasure.

Mark Redknap, head of collections at the National Museum of Wales, also described the fidelity ring, which Mr Rees found in Bonvilston in Vale of Glamorgan on May 4, 2012, as 'wonderful'.

He said: 'It is a silver fidelity ring. The hoop has a convex outer surface. It is a form of ring which we find quite commonly in the medieval period.

'The inscription on the inside of the hoop would have been known to the wearer but not anyone else. It says 'I like my choyse'.

The words are written in capitals and Dr Redknap said the unusual spelling of 'choice' was down to the 'lack of standardised spellings'.

'You get these wonderful versions,' he said. 'But the sound means they are easy to understand.'

The outer rim of the piece was worn but thought to have once been gilt.

The ring and weapons, along with a silver dress pin and a 13th Century brooch pin, found by another metal detectorist Ron Sanders in St Donat's, Vale of Glamorgan, were all declared treasure by coroner for Powys Andrew Barkley.

Outside the court, Mr Rees, from Wenvoe, said he goes metal detecting for treasure in the evenings.

He said: 'I found the axe head one night with a piece missing and thought, "That is a pity", and then the next night I found the other piece.

'About a year later I was ploughing and I found the spear head. That's a beautiful thing. It was nearly on top of the ground.'

The grandfather-of-two thought that 'probably belonged to a chief'.

'It's beautifully decorated,' he said. 'I would loved to have kept it. But I did the right thing, I couldn't keep it but I showed it to all my friends.

'The silver ring I found in Bonvilston. I tried it on. It fitted.

'I found a gold one before on my nephew's farm. That came in as treasure about six years ago. That had an inscription too, but they never really worked out what it was. It was religious I think.'

All of the items have now been acquired by the National Museum of Wales.

A BRONZE AGE WEAPON'S CACHE

Experts believe the bronze weapons had been buried as part of a ritual ceremony as part of a gift to the gods or to long-dead ancestors.

They were likely made by a small community who had lived in the area around Wenvoe, in the Vale of Glamorgan, at the time.

People often buried their dead in circular mounds known as barrows during the Bronze Age and many of these can be seen across Britain.

It is thought while the spear head and axe had been buried together, they were disturbed by subsequent ploughing.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The blood grooves and shape of the spear head clearly indicate a much later date for thier manufacture. No earlier than 800 AD.

It is a well understood fact among non UK archeologists that the bronze age was very late in Britton.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The blood grooves and shape of the spear head clearly indicate a much later date for thier manufacture. No earlier than 800 AD.

It is a well understood fact among non UK archeologists that the bronze age was very late in Britton.

The Bronze Age in Britain ended in approximately 800BC, 1600 years before 800AD. Someone in Anglo-Saxon England in 800AD looking back to 800BC is like us looking back to around 400AD.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The Bronze Age in Britain ended in approximately 800BC, 1600 years before 800AD. Someone in Anglo-Saxon England in 800AD looking back to 800BC is like us looking back to around 400AD.

Obviously you are not at all up to date with the most advanced archeology, which also has come to Britton much later than has been previously reported.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Obviously you are not at all up to date with the most advanced archeology, which also has come to Britton much later than has been previously reported.

Well where is the archaeological evidence of your assertion that the British Bronze Age was occurring during the era of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Bronze spacecraft??? I'm thinking not, more like the 3D printing crew got a new batch of raw material.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Well where is the archaeological evidence of your assertion that the British Bronze Age was occurring during the era of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms?

Where is the evidence of these Anglo Saxon kingdoms?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brutus - the first king of Britts Julius Caesar
1. The first Roman arrived on 1. The first Roman arrived on
the island, conquered the land the island, conquered the
and founded the kingdom country and also founded the
kingdom

2. Arrived in Britain with great 2. Was the head of great military
military fleet fleet which invaded into the land

3. "Accidentally" killed his 3. His contemporary - Roman Brutus,
farther by arrow Caesar's friend, traitorously
killed Caesar (= "his farther-
-protector")

4. The murder of Brutus' father 4. Well-known story: the murder
by his son was predicted in of Julius Caesar was predicted
advance by prophet (see Nennius, by Roman prophet (see, for
[8],p.173) example, Plutarch

5. Afterwards Brutus was expelled 5. Romans expelled Brutus as great
from his native land (as the men traitor, because he killed Julius
who committed the murder) Caesar

6. Roman consul Brutus starts 6. Julius Caesar lived (according
the history of Britain traditional chronology) in 1st c.
B.C.
NEW CHRONOLOGY AND CONCEPTION OF THE ENGLISH HISTORY.ENGLAND AND RUSSIA (GREAT HORDA-EMPIRE

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars

kingdom

-protector")

B.C.
NEW CHRONOLOGY AND CONCEPTION OF THE ENGLISH HISTORY.ENGLAND AND RUSSIA (GREAT HORDA-EMPIRE
I liked Brutus aka Bluto on the Popeye cartoons

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

kingdom

-protector")

B.C.

Do you actually read this nonsensical rubbish?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What would make anyone think a few pounds of scrap metal discarded beside some old road was an offering to the Gods?

People in Bronze Age Britain, and in the earlier Neolithic, often buried weapons (as happened with the axe and spear in the article) or threw them in lakes, ponds, rivers, streams and bogs. They often deliberately bent or snapped such objects before burying them or immersing them. Archaeologists belief it was a religious ceremony they were carrying out. It gives an insight into the religion of the British people - my ancestors - at that time.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
"There are several Brutus in Roman history". They do not continue and do not discuss this remark, and now we realize - why. If you start to analyse the "Brutus' problem", you (as we demonstrated above) will make the inevitable (and catastrophic for traditional chronology) conclusion that "English Brutus" was the contemporary of Julius Caesar. BUT WHY THIS CONCLUSION US SO DANGEROUS? At first, because in this case the so called "ancient legendary British history" is immediately moved upwards by approximately 1000-year shift in the epoch of 1-13th cc. A.D. and moreover, in 11-16th cc.A.D. Such corollary, of course, is completely unacceptable (and totally fantastic) to any modern traditional historian. But there are some another, sufficiently more dangerous corollaries. About this - our next section.

5.3. Biblical events in English chronicles.
The "Historia Britonum" of Galfridus Monemutensis is strung on the pivot of biblical history. This means that sometimes, when speaking about the events of British history, Galfridus inserts the phrases similar to this: In Judea the prophet Samuel ruled at this time ([9],p.20). These rare phrases are scattered along the chronicle and form the rough (and very brief) skeleton of biblical history of prophets and biblical kings, which is closely interwoven with the stream of British history. But, by the way, Galfridus does not give any absolute dates. His chronology is completely relative, i.e., he tells only - in the time of which biblical kings (or prophets) were occurred some of British events. Thus, when analyzing the English chronology in a unprejudiced way, we meet the necessity to start the analysis of biblical chronology also. Let us do it and we will see what we will obtain. The evident identification of "English Brutus" with well-known Brutus from the epoch of Julius Caesar, is impossible for traditional historian because in this case the whole biblical chronology is automatically moved from its traditional place (in time) upwards by about at least 1000-year shift ! In reality this shift will be sufficiently more: about 1800 years! See [1],[24]. Indeed, if "English Brutus" (the forefather of Britts) is placed in 1st century B.C., then, according to the "Historia Britonum" of Galfridus Monemutensis, ALL BASIC EVENTS OF BIBLICAL HISTORY should be distributed on time axis from 11 century A.D. until 17th century A.D. (see [34],[35],[36],[37]). Here we mean: the history of all biblical prophets, the history of the kingdom of Judah and the kingdom of Israel et cetera. On the face of it, such conclusion is completely impossible! Traditionally, biblical history is dated from 11th century B.C. until 1st century A.D. But if we will wait a little and will try nevertheless to place ancient biblical history on the interval from 11 century A.D. until 17th century A.D. - what we obtain? It turns out that this procedure does not lead to the contradiction with ancient evidences of ancient texts. We suggest to the reader to take the books of Fomenko [1],[24],[34],[35], where you can find the details. Here we demonstrate only one, but remarkable example.
5.4. Do we interpret ancient texts in a proper way? Problem of vowels restoration.NEW CHRONOLOGY AND CONCEPTION OF THE ENGLISH HISTORY.ENGLAND AND RUSSIA (GREAT HORDA-EMPIRE

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
People in Bronze Age Britain, and in the earlier Neolithic, often buried weapons (as happened with the axe and spear in the article) or threw them in lakes, ponds, rivers, streams and bogs. They often deliberately bent or snapped such objects before burying them or immersing them. Archaeologists belief it was a religious ceremony they were carrying out. It gives an insight into the religion of the British people - my ancestors - at that time.

No one believes that crap about religious this and religious that, you believe that your ancestors and mine were idiots, I've not once broken any of my tools and offered useless junk to the Gods. To the modern academic mind every unsovleable situation is covered by
(religious ceremony) could not these relics have been broken and lost in the much more realistic way of exactly the same way broken tools are today, just simple flung into the bush or bog?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Brutus, 1st King of Britian
He was legendary 1st King of Britain, which is said to have been named for him. Welsh genealogists called him "Brwt". He is said to have founded Troia Nova ("New Troy"), which became corrupted to Trinovantum, and now is London. He is not mentioned in any classical source and is not considered to be historical.
https://www.geni.com/people/Brutus-1st-King-of-Britian/6000000003215931228

The real Story Of Troy In England
TROY

Please note
the battle field full of BROKEN military ITEMS such as found in the OP are found at the location of the Troy mentioned in this Book IN ENGLAND ( NOT AT NEW TROY aka LONDON), and they are not to be found at Homo's fake old poofter Troy.

Leftovers from a great honkin battle
thats the Dig of it right there

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
With this final push into the firey pits of hell, I divorce thee

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
could not these relics have been broken and lost in the much more realistic way of exactly the same way broken tools are today, just simple flung into the bush or bog?

No. Too much of it was going on for it to have been an accident.

Also, many, if not most, of the weapons and other artefacts that were deliberately bent or snapped before being buried or thrown in a lake, pond, river, stream or bog seem to have been brand new and some would have been useless as weapons, such as blunt swords. It seems that the ancient Britons liked making some weapons specifically to offer to the gods rather than to actually use.