Taken from life: The unsettling art of death photography

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Photographs of loved-ones taken after they died may seem morbid to modern sensibilities. But in Victorian England, they became a way of commemorating the dead and blunting the sharpness of grief.

In images that are both unsettling and strangely poignant, families pose with the dead, infants appear asleep, and consumptive young ladies elegantly recline, the disease not only taking their life but increasing their beauty.

Victorian life was suffused with death. Epidemics such as diphtheria, typhus and cholera scarred the country, and from 1861 the bereaved Queen made mourning fashionable.

Trinkets of memento mori - literally meaning "remember you must die" - took several forms, and existed long before Victorian times.

Taken from life: The unsettling art of death photography

By Bethan Bell
BBC News
5 June 2016

It was common for families to have lots of children, and also common for them to die before their fifth birthday. In this picture, the youngest child has died and is propped against a stand for the picture

Photographs of loved-ones taken after they died may seem morbid to modern sensibilities. But in Victorian England, they became a way of commemorating the dead and blunting the sharpness of grief.

In images that are both unsettling and strangely poignant, families pose with the dead, infants appear asleep, and consumptive young ladies elegantly recline, the disease not only taking their life but increasing their beauty.

Victorian life was suffused with death. Epidemics such as diphtheria, typhus and cholera scarred the country, and from 1861 the bereaved Queen made mourning fashionable.

Trinkets of memento mori - literally meaning "remember you must die" - took several forms, and existed long before Victorian times.

Long exposures when taking photographs meant that the dead were often seen more sharply than the slightly-blurred living, because of their lack of movement

Photography studios would take a memento mori picture and print it on cards for the bereaved to give to friends and relatives

On some occasions eyes would be painted on to the photograph after it was developed, which was meant to make the deceased more lifelike (left) while other times death was more obvious

Locks of hair cut from the dead were arranged and worn in lockets and rings, death masks were created in wax, and the images and symbols of death appeared in paintings and sculptures.

But in the mid-1800s photography was becoming increasingly popular and affordable - leading to memento mori photographic portraiture.

The first successful form of photography, the daguerreotype - a small, highly detailed picture on polished silver - was an expensive luxury, but not nearly as costly as having a portrait painted, which previously had been the only way of permanently preserving someone's image.

As the number of photographers increased, the cost of daguerreotypes fell. Less costly procedures were introduced in the 1850s, such as using thin metal, glass or paper rather than silver.

In this case, one twin has died while the other survived. The dead baby is surrounded by flowers

Two girls pose with their dead mother, while a Victorian father mourns his baby. The woman on the right's cheeks have been tinted while her deceased toddler remains pale

The whole household - including a cat - has gathered round a dead child on the floor, who is posed as if sleeping

Death portraiture became increasing popular. Victorian nurseries were plagued by measles, diphtheria, scarlet fever, rubella - all of which could be fatal.

It was often the first time families thought of having a photograph taken - it was the last chance to have a permanent likeness of a beloved child.

But as healthcare improved the life expectancy of children, the demand for death photography diminished.

The advent of snapshots sounded the death knell for the art - as most families would have photographs taken in life.

Now, these images of men, women and children stoically containing their grief in order to preserve the likeness of a taken-too-soon loved one, continue to live up to their name.

Memento mori: remember, you must die.

The boy's eyes have been painted on the photo, while the little girl is arranged upright, as if she's dropped off to sleep while playing with her favourite dolls

The death of a loved one was often the trigger to have a family portrait taken - the last chance to have a permanent record of a beloved child

Memento mori photography was not just popular in Europe. These pictures were taken in Australia and are part of a collection at the State Library of South Australia

Taken from life: The unsettling art of death photography - BBC News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Pretty morbid Blackloaf.

Perhaps morbid by today's standards but not at the time. If you look at it through the lens (pun intended) of the era, it's actually quite heartbreaking......mourning families desperately wanting something of their loved ones to hold onto.

I have never experienced a death of a friend or family member in my lifetime that did not, in very short order, call for the photo albums to be brought out, dusted off, and longingly looked through.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Perhaps morbid by today's standards but not at the time. If you look at it through the lens (pun intended) of the era, it's actually quite heartbreaking......mourning families desperately wanting something of their loved ones to hold onto.

I have never experienced a death of a friend or family member in my lifetime that did not, in very short order, call for the photo albums to be brought out, dusted off, and longingly looked through.
Even the one with the boy holding the severed head and the young Lady holding the hatchet?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Victorians, and those people in the immense span of history before them, didn't have the same taboos over death that we have now. We tend to shy away from death, to try and forget about it. A lot of funerals take place nowadays without people even seeing the deceased, whereas in the olden days families had a deceased relative in their own home for several days before they were finally buried or cremated. People were a lot more closer to death in the old days and didn't shy away from it as much as we do now.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
The Victorians, and those people in the immense span of history before them, didn't have the same taboos over death that we have now. We tend to shy away from death, to try and forget about it. A lot of funerals take place nowadays without people even seeing the deceased, whereas in the olden days families had a deceased relative in their own home for several days before they were finally buried or cremated. People were a lot more closer to death in the old days and didn't shy away from it as much as we do now.
I like to remember those I love as they were in life. Not in death.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And yet once again we have another thread topic that, instead of anyone putting any effort into actually interesting conversation about it, is now going to devolve into another pissing match, where the same couple of people will say the same things to one another over and over and over again.

But yeah, go ahead and blame it on the mods. :roll:

This is the why I'm getting so freaking fed up with this place.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
And yet once again we have another thread topic that, instead of anyone putting any effort into actually interesting conversation about it, is now going to devolve into another pissing match, where the same couple of people will say the same things to one another over and over and over again.

But yeah, go ahead and blame it on the mods. :roll:

This is the why I'm getting so freaking fed up with this place.
What I find interesting is peoples fascination with death and morbid things. Like that Walking dead program where decayed , decimated dead corpses walk around looking to eat people only to get a fukkin spike driven through their skull. Lol. Seriousley I think we as a society have become desensitized to weirdness.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
What I find interesting is peoples fascination with death and morbid things. Like that Walking dead program where decayed , decimated dead corpses walk around looking to eat people only to get a fukkin spike driven through their skull. Lol. Seriousley I think we as a society have become desensitized to weirdness.

There is also the possibility that humans have always been this way, and it is you who has grown to be a big, over-sensitive pu$$y.

Last edited:

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
I remember as a kid going to the drive in to watch Gruesome Twosome. A gory zombie movie. Sick. ~ As far as photographs of dead relatives, I have plenty, while they were alive and smiling. I don't want my last memory of a loved one to be a corpse.
~

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I remember as a kid going to the drive in to watch Gruesome Twosome. A gory zombie movie. Sick. ~ As far as photographs of dead relatives, I have plenty, while they were alive and smiling. I don't want my last memory of a loved one to be a corpse.
~

When you look at it relatively to those days when getting someone to photograph you was expensive. I think someone with a few brain cells can figure out what is going on.

Let me give you a hint.

They want a visual memory of the dead person, before they get buried. Because they don't have any other pictures of them while they are alive.