City of London's mysterious ancient stone to go on show

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It may appear to be a large piece of leftover masonry but this mysterious stone remains a historic piece of London's history.

Known as the London Stone, the ancient Grade II-listed relic is set to go on show to the public after lying behind a glass case covered by a metal grill.

The London Stone had only ever been tucked away at 111 Cannon Street, where the building was once used as a sports shop and later a stationery outlet.

There are many stories surrounding the origins of the curious lump of rock, with some legends saying it was used as an altar by druids.

Other stories claim the stone was brought back from Troy by Brutus or that it was the stone that was the resting place of King Arthur sword's Excalibur.

Mysterious ancient stone that has lain at the heart of the City of London for centuries to go on show at last

The London Stone has been lain in a glass box on Cannon Street for years

Ancient Grade II-listed relic is set to go on show at the Museum of London

Legend has it that the large stone was brought back from Troy by Brutus

By Tom Wyke for MailOnline
12 March 2016
Daily Mail

It may appear to be a large piece of leftover masonry but this mysterious stone remains a historic piece of London's history.

Known as the London Stone, the ancient Grade II-listed relic is set to go on show to the public after lying behind a glass case covered by a metal grill.

The London Stone had only ever been tucked away at 111 Cannon Street, where the building was once used as a sports shop and later a stationery outlet.

Known as the London Stone, the ancient Grade II-listed relic is set to go on show to the public after lying behind a glass case covered by a metal grill

The London Stone had only ever been tucked away at 111 Cannon Street, where the building was once used as a sports shop and later a stationery outlet

There are many stories surrounding the origins of the curious lump of rock, with some legends saying it was used as an altar by druids.

Other stories claim the stone was brought back from Troy by Brutus or that it was the stone that was the resting place of King Arthur sword's Excalibur.

The large historic feature even appears in Shakespeare's Henry VI, part 2: 'And here, sitting upon London-stone.'

The stone is now set to go on show in the Museum of London for 20 months, starting from the end of spring, according to The Guardian.

While the London Stone has been moved several times, it always seems to have been in the same stretch of Cannon Street opposite St Swithin's church.

Originally it was in the middle of the street, but it was moved in 1742 to the north side by the church, where it has been ever since.

The stone is now set to go on show in the Museum of London for 20 months, starting from the end of spring

There are many stories surrounding the origins of the curious lump of rock, with some legends saying it was used as an altar by druids. (Above) The stone surrounded by cricket equipment when 111 Cannon Street was a sports shop

By 1828 it was embedded in the south wall within a protective stone niche, allowing it to remain viewable for passers-by.

In 1941, St Swithin's was gutted in the Blitz. In 1962, it was demolished and replaced by the current office block.

The stone was placed in the same position it had previously been, in the centre of the façade, in an approximation of the previous stone niche.

Today, the ground floor of 111 Cannon Street is occupied by a WHSmith shop

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I wonder who the English stole that one from?

....the Scots? ... the Irish? ... the Welsh? ... the Cornish? ... the Manxmen? ... the French?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

....the Scots? ... the Irish? ... the Welsh? ... the Cornish? ... the Manxmen? ... the French?

The last time I checked, the Cornish ARE English.

As for the Scots, Welsh and Irish, they'd be Third World nations were it not for English money propping them up.

The same is probably true of the French, too.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The Cornish are sort of English. Genetically, not.

The same is probably true of the French, too.

The French are saying just about the same thing about you.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Cornish are sort of English. Genetically, not.

What's genetics got to do with it? Cornwall is an English county like Norfolk and Derbyshire.

The French are saying just about the same thing about you.
How can they be? Despite having similar sized economies, it is the English taxpayer which is the second biggest contributor to the EU budget after the Germans, putting more money into the EU than we get out. A lot of our money goes to the CAP which is used to fund France's army of inefficient French farmers. A lot of it also likely goes to propping up France's second-rate, sclerotic economy.

That's precisely why the French, like other EU Member States, don't want Britain to leave the EU. Britain leaving the EU would mean tthe EU losing its second-largest cash cow, and countries like France would likely have to step into the breach and increase their contributions to the EU budget. But England isn't just a cash cow for the French and the EU. She's also a cash cow for ther neighbours in the British Isles, too.

Talking about stealing cultural icons, look at the Scots: they're the ones who lay claim to the bagpipes, tartan, whisky, haggis, kilts, porridge and golf.

This is despite the fact that bagpipes were likely invented thousands of years by the Hittites; tartan seems to have been created by the Celtic Hallstatt culture of central Europe between the 8th and 6th centuries BC; whisky seems to have been invented millennia BC in Mesopotamia and Babylon; haggis seems to have been invented in England, with the first known mention of the dish being in a cookbook called Liber Cure Cocorum dating from around 1430 in Lancashire; the "Scottish" kilt was invented as recently as the 18th Century by an English Quaker from Lancashire called Thomas Rawlinson (the makers of Braveheart mustn't have known that); and porridge and golf both originated in China.

So all the things that Scots claim are "quintessentially Scottish" are actually non-Scottish in origin.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
. . . and curling but that included the bing drinking so that was the real main event, the rocks were 'accessories at the drunken feast.
A 'home stone' is as fake as it gets, it saves any examination of why the City of London exists at all. BTW it isn't cricket it is the BAR. No monuments to the power of their 'hammer'?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
. . . and curling but that included the bing drinking so that was the real main event, the rocks were 'accessories at the drunken feast.
A 'home stone' is as fake as it gets, it saves any examination of why the City of London exists at all. BTW it isn't cricket it is the BAR. No monuments to the power of their 'hammer'?

Curling is actually a Scottish thing which was acgtually invented in Scotland. But most Scottorana isn't actually Scottish in origin at all.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
My god Blackloaf it's just a rock what's next to go on display a petrified turd from the stone age?

If they can find a petrified turd from the Stone Age then that should go on display. It'll be something interesting to look at.

After all, at the Jorvik Viking Centre in York (Jorvik was the Viking word for the city) there is a genuine Viking poo on display which was actually produced by a Jorvik Viking.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Beautiful rock, it rivals the Parthenon marbles.

It would have been even better than the Marbles had good old Elgin not brought them back to Old Blighty. The ruling Ottomans (Turks) would have carried on chopping off bits of them, such as arms and legs, to sell to tourists. They would have gone the same way as the Bamiyan Buddhas at the hands of the Taliban in 2001.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
London is a much better place to visit than Arizona. The place is just a desert.
Arizona has a much more diverse terrain than just "desert" as you claim. Much of the state is high country with the elevation above 7000 feet where there are huge mountain ranges covered with lush green pine tree forests, several trout streams and lakes, many small towns nestled in the valleys. There is the Grand Canyon which is no less than majestic which is also high elevation . Then there is Sedona which is called Red rock country which is appx 5000 Ft. and is one of the more beautiful places in the country and several other places which are green valleys with rivers , beautiful meadows and quaint small towns to enjoy. Yes, Arizona has it's share of desert which is part Sonoran and part Mohave but that is just part of the State.It's a beautiful , diverse place and my home state. Wish I was there now.

Incidentally I've been to Lake Havasu and seen the London Bridge and quite frankly I don't see what all the hubbub is about.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The inferiority complex you display Blackleaf is amazing, just amazing.

It's you who's displaying an inferiority complex. I don't consider myself to be inferior to anyone.

Incidentally I've been to Lake Havasu and seen the London Bridge and quite frankly I don't see what all the hubbub is about.

That's the thing.

According to the legend, the Americans - or, to be more precise, Robert P. McCullough - tthought they were getting the much more impressive Tower Bridge for the Bridgewater Channel canal in Arizona.

So, basically, they thought they were buying this...

But what they actuallyy got was this...

There have been several London Bridges, with the current one opening over the Thames in 1974.