New evidence...humans reaching southern Chile 15,000 BP

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Fascinating stuff who knows where these people came from-Africa maybe?

New evidence supports humans reaching southern Chile more than 15,000 years ago

Above: A serpentine pebble tool with a bifacially knapped and retouched edge. Below: A very small faceted basalt wedge.

Nomadic people were established deep in South America more than 15,000 years ago. Evidence in the form of stone tools, cooked animal and plant remains and fire pits to support this early occupation theory, was discovered by Tom Dillehay leading an international team of archaeologists, geologists and botanists at the Monte Verde site in southern Chile.

The research paper appears in PLOS One (open access)

During the last glacial period, piedmont glaciers descended from Andean ice fields to the east of Monte Verde, occupying and sculpting what today are the Llanquihue Lake and Reloncavi fjord basin.

Early human presence

Until about 40 years ago, it was generally thought that the Americas first began to be populated 13,000 years ago by big-game hunters from Asia who used Clovis points. However, Monte Verde has yielded a wide variety of scientific evidence of a small human settlement using a different stone tool technology that pre-dated the Clovis people by about 1,500 years at a site called MVII. Dillehay also uncovered possible, though not conclusive, evidence of a much earlier human presence at a nearby site called MVI. Subsequent excavations at sites in both North and South America have also yielded evidence supporting this earlier human migration through the Americas.

During their 2013 visit, Dillehay’s team explored key areas around MVI and MVII. Though it was not intended to be a comprehensive re-examination of the site, their findings did yield new insights. “We began to find what appeared to be small features—little heating pits, cooking pits associated with burned and unburned bone, and some stone tools scattered very widely across an area about 500 meters long by about 30 or 40 meters wide,” said Dillehay.

The stone tools discovered by the team were similar to what Dillehay had previously found at Monte Verde. Many were simple unifacial tools—meaning they were worked on only one side of the stone, to create a sharp edge—though some of the younger tools and projectile points indicate bifacial technologies. “One of the curious things about it that is that unlike what we found before, a significant percentage, about 34 percent, were from non-local materials. Most of them probably come from the coast but some of them probably come from the Andes and maybe even the other side of the Andes,” said Dillehay. Prior research had revealed evidence of Andean plants in the area, providing further support for a highly mobile population.

Nomadic hunter-gatherers

The team recovered a total of 39 stone objects and 12 small fire pits associated with bones and some edible plant remains, including nuts and grasses. The bones tended to be small fragments, broken and scorched, indicating that the animals had been cooked. They often came from very large animals, like prehistoric llamas or mastodons, as well as smaller creatures like prehistoric deer and horses. The Monte Verde site was unlikely to have been able to support the kind of vegetation that those animals needed to eat, so they were likely killed and butchered elsewhere. The objects were radiocarbon dated and most were found to range in age from more than 14,000 to almost 19,000 years old.

The wide scattering suggests that the people who created these features were nomadic hunter-gatherers who might have camped for only a night or two before moving on. “Where they’re going, we don’t know, and where they’re coming from, we don’t know, but this would have been a passageway from the coast to the foothills of the Andes,” Dillehay said. He believes that they may have come through Monte Verde because the terrain was more walkable than the surrounding bogs and wetlands, and because it provided access to stone to make tools.

Terrain similar to what Monte Verde might have looked like during the late Pleistocene era. The ground is crisscrossed by shallow drainage features, while higher ground has patchy vegetation.

Retreating glaciers

A key goal during this visit was to better understand the geological and environmental context of the site. At the end of the last ice age, Monte Verde was a sandur plain—a runoff area situated about six kilometres away from a glacier, criss-crossed by a network of shallow streams and brooks fed by rain washing off the glacier, as well as melting snow. It was also a time marked by volcanic activity and a gradually warming climate, as the last glaciers began to retreat.

Oxidized tephra is a mineral deposit caused by volcanic ash mixed with rain. It’s bright orange because it contains iron.

“It appears that these people were there in the summer months,” Dillehay said. “Each one of these [burned] features and the bones and stones associated with them is embedded in thin, oxidized tephra”—a type of geological layer formed by airborne ash particles from nearby volcanoes that only form in rainy, warmer temperatures. But though the glaciers had begun to retreat by 19,000 to 17,000 years ago, it was still an extremely challenging environment, Dillehay said. “We’re looking at people living in some really cold, harsh areas, even in the summer months.” Only later, around 15,000 years ago, did the climate warm enough to support the kind of longer-term settlement found at MVII.

Put together, these findings support the paradigm shift toward an earlier peopling of the Americas, although questions inevitably remain about how the hemisphere was settled. It also underscores the importance of long-term interdisciplinary research. “We now realize that the geology and the climate and the archaeology are much more complex than we ever calculated,” said Dillehay.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
This is cool.

Yes, they would have arrived from Africa. The theory that ancient folks could have traveled across the ocean was tested a few times by people like Thor Heyedahl and others.

Evidence suggest that North Am had two sources of immigration, one from eastern Asia and the other from South Am.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
These breaking archaeology headlines are spewed out couple of times a year they are pathetic attempts to contain human history between predetermined parrameters that complement the established thinking. South America is littered with unreproducable megalithic works of wonder of unknown time and manufacture. The article is absolute fantastic rubbish.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, we all know that Erich Van Daniken and others have all the answers. hahaha

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
These breaking archaeology headlines are spewed out couple of times a year they are pathetic attempts to contain human history between predetermined parrameters that complement the established thinking. South America is littered with unreproducable megalithic works of wonder of unknown time and manufacture. The article is absolute fantastic rubbish.

How do you know?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
These breaking archaeology headlines are spewed out couple of times a year they are pathetic attempts to contain human history between predetermined parrameters that complement the established thinking.
Appalling ignorance as per your SOP noted.
South America is littered with unreproducable megalithic works of wonder of unknown time and manufacture.
Having visited every major ruin in both Central & South America I have to say how idiotic your post is-we know exactly when they were built and how- it was all quite easy actually.
The article is absolute fantastic rubbish.
Your contributions here are worth the paper they are scribbled on-not even good for a chuckle or a sneer just plain unadulterated crap.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah, we all know that Erich Van Daniken and others have all the answers. hahaha

Well those stones are andesite, very hard stuff, and the tools to reproduce those pieces do not exist at present. Look arround you won't be able to refute what I;ve just posted. The biggest stone circular stone saw today is almost three meter in diameter with a blade thickness of 5cm. You can find cut and dressed stones on every continent that excede those capacities, no kidding. Dressed pieces that can't be moved today are also found.

Appalling ignorance as per your SOP noted.

Having visited every major ruin in both Central & South America I have to say how idiotic your post is-we know exactly when they were built and how- it was all quite easy actually.

Your contributions here are worth the paper they are scribbled on-not even good for a chuckle or a sneer just plain unadulterated crap.

Fantastic, give me the construction dates for Puma Punku and show me the tools and mention the builders.

Hurry up Bill I need a good laugh.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
I thought it was an interesting article. I've had an interest in ancient migration ever since I read a book by Kenneth Davis on the subject. Don't know shyt myself but have always been fascinated on how the Navaho and Hopi tribes where I'm from sure do look like some peoples from Asia.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I thought it was an interesting article. I've had an interest in ancient migration ever since I read a book by Kenneth Davis on the subject. Don't know shyt myself but have always been fascinated on how the Navaho and Hopi tribes where I'm from sure do look like some peoples from Asia.

And the language was very similar to asian.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Perhaps we do not know how ancient peoples did some things, but it is a bit goofy to assume that aliens did them. Evidence helps, not imaginative assumptions.
An example: in some ancient buildings in Greece, some of the huge blocks of stone that fit together so tightly that one cannot stick a toothpick between them were simply rubbed together.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Perhaps we do not know how ancient peoples did some things, but it is a bit goofy to assume that aliens did them. Evidence helps, not imaginative assumptions.
An example: in some ancient buildings in Greece, some of the huge blocks of stone that fit together so tightly that one cannot stick a toothpick between them were simply rubbed together.

Who said anything about aliens. I make no assumptions about aliens but I do know for a fact the absolute truth of civilizational collapse and it's repetative nature due to climate change. You might wonder, if you have time, if in fact our modern civilization is the most advanced of all human time. That is a popular belief but not at all verifyable.

Yes of course just rub twenty ton blocks of granite each with another and after a while you have perfectly dressed pieces. I have a few bottles of the elixer of life for sale, would you be interested?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Who said anything about aliens.
I did.
I make no assumptions about aliens but I do know for a fact the absolute truth of civilizational collapse and it's repetative nature due to climate change. You might wonder, if you have time, if in fact our modern civilization is the most advanced of all human time. That is a popular belief but not at all verifyable.
No aliens? Well then perhaps ghosts did it.
Anyways, I think it would depend upon what you mean by "advanced". Did the ancients have methods of performing quadrillions of calculations per second? Could Fred Flintstone's car parallel park itself?

Yes of course just rub twenty ton blocks of granite each with another and after a while you have perfectly dressed pieces. I have a few bottles of the elixer of life for sale, would you be interested?
The blocks were mobile, right? If they were moved it would be possible that they were moved against each other.
No thanks. We already have some Guinness stout in the fridge.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Seems to me speculation and hearsay doesn't hold a candle to archeological evidence. Id have to opt for the posters article instead of words.

Twelve hundred ton dressed stones hardly qualify as hearsay or speculation do they Ludlow? All over the world pieces that cannot be reproduced today lay arround as reminders of present day limitations on human expertise.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I did. No aliens? Well then perhaps ghosts did it.
Anyways, I think it would depend upon what you mean by "advanced". Did the ancients have methods of performing quadrillions of calculations per second? Could Fred Flintstone's car parallel park itself?

The blocks were mobile, right? If they were moved it would be possible that they were moved against each other.
No thanks. We already have some Guinness stout in the fridge.

Well advanced means they could do constructions, thousands of them, with precision cuts and fitting that cannot and is not and has not been reproduced for many thousands of years. You can easily see for yourself. What we build these days are pale in comparison to what was possible so long ago that we have forgotten the builders.

Where's the fukking details bill?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Well advanced means they could do constructions, thousands of them, with precision cuts and fitting that cannot and is not and has not been reproduced for many thousands of years. You can easily see for yourself. What we build these days are pale in comparison to what was possible so long ago that we have forgotten the builders.

Where's the fukking details bill?
You don't think humans were capable of scribing stones together? I can scribe a piece of wood to precisely fit against a jagged stone fireplace.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I have no doubt that if we could figure out how some things were done, we could replicate the deeds. All you are saying basically is that we modern humans do not know everything that ancient peoples did. It is hardly a shocking revelation.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
I have no doubt that if we could figure out how some things were done, we could replicate the deeds. All you are saying basically is that we modern humans do not know everything that ancient peoples did. It is hardly a shocking revelation.
Repetition is the mother of invention I guess. When you do something long enough you figure out ways to do it more efficiently and affectively .I found that to be true in my ** plus years building wood furniture. Back in ancient times they probably had less distractions as we have now. Who knows.

The possibility of Aliens is fascinating though.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Great article Bill, thanks for sharing. The BBC has a series running on some PBS stations right now called 'How to Grow a Planet' with Ian Stewart hosting. Another series he did was called 'Rise of the Continents.' Both are outstanding series covering a variety of subjects and the graphics are first class. It is really cool watching our continents journeys over millions of years. I highly recommend both of the too you all.

I'm posting a link cause I still haven't figured out how to post the vid. :roll::lol:

BBC Two - How to Grow a Planet