Hoard of 5,000 Anglo Saxon coins unearthed

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A hoard of more than 5,000 Anglo Saxon coins has been unearthed, including what may be a unique penny.

The discovery, near Lenborough, Buckinghamshire, is said to be the biggest hoard of coins in modern times.

It includes a uniquely-stamped coin which may be the results of a mix-up at the mint, more than 1,000 years ago.

No valuation has officially been placed on the coins, which have formerly been declared as treasure trove, but some experts believe they could be worth more than £1 million.

The 5,248 coins were found by metal detector enthusiast Paul Coleman on December 21 last year.

Hoard of 5,000 Anglo Saxon coins unearthed: Treasure includes a 'unique' penny and may be worth more than £1million

Hoard of silver coins was discovered near Lenborough, Buckinghamshire
Some date from the reign of Ethelred the Unready in the 990s and just over 4,000 were minted during the reign of his successor, Canute
One was mis-struck - an Agnus Dei coin containing a lamb and flag
Hoard has been declared treasure, but has not yet been officially valued

By SARAH GRIFFITHS FOR MAILONLINE
3 November 2015
Daily Mail

A hoard of more than 5,000 Anglo Saxon coins has been unearthed, including what may be a unique penny.

The discovery, near Lenborough, Buckinghamshire, is said to be the biggest hoard of coins in modern times.

It includes a uniquely-stamped coin which may be the results of a mix-up at the mint, more than 1,000 years ago.

A hoard of more than 5,000 Anglo Saxon coins has been unearthed (pictured), including what may be a unique coin. The 5,248 coins were found by Paul Coleman on December 21 last year

No valuation has officially been placed on the coins, which have formerly been declared as treasure trove, but some experts believe they could be worth more than £1 million.

The 5,248 coins were found by metal detector enthusiast Paul Coleman on December 21 last year.

He almost decided not to dig the site when his metal detector beeped, believing he had come across a hidden manhole cover.

However, his persistence was rewarded when he found the silver pennies, which were buried in two sets, possibly up to 15 years apart, based upon the dates imprinted on them.

He told a treasure trove inquest in Beaconsfield: ‘I wasn’t going to go [hunting for treasure] but I was talked into it.

The hoard includes a uniquely-stamped coin which may be the results of a mix-up at the mint, more than 1,000 years ago.

One showing an animal is pictured on the left, and another from the the reign of Ethelred the Unready in the 990s is pictured right

‘We looked at the aerial photos and chose a field because there were strange markings. We decided to leave the field because there was nothing in it.

‘When the detector started beeping, it felt like the size of a manhole cover and that’s also what caused me to nearly not dig it up. Anything of that size is normally a manhole cover or a squashed bucket.’

Mr Coleman, who is 60 and retired, believes it was fate that caused him to wander over to where the hoard was buried.

He chose a different route because his Deus detector was receiving interference from one belonging to another member of the Weekend Wanderers metal detecting club.

He first found 985 coins dating from the reign of Ethelred the Unready in the 990s and a further 4,263 that were minted during the reign of his successor, Canute.

The coins were taken to the museum in Aylesbury before then being sent to the British Museum for further analysis.

Brett Thorn, keeper of archaeology at the Buckinghamshire County Museum, told the treasure inquest: ‘Normally hoards are fairly small - 10 to 20 coins, something of that order.

‘The largest came in the 1840s, containing 7,000 plus silver objects, and one was recorded in the late 90s. This find is the only modern one which is comparable to those.'

He believes the coins were buried on the way to a mint in Buckingham five miles (8km) away in order to be melted down and re-cast.

New coins were minted every few years, with the holders of old coins having to pay a tax if they tried using them.

The 5,248 coins were found by Paul Coleman on December 21 last year. He almost decided not to dig the site when his metal detector beeped, believing he had come across a hidden manhole cover. he is pictured here with some of the Saxon coins in a clear container

The discovery, which was made near Lenborough (marked on this map with a red marker) in Buckinghamshire is said to be the biggest hoard of coins in modern times

Alternatively, Mr Thorn said the money could have been the savings of a single family over the course of 20 years.

Despite the age gap between some of the coins, he told the inquest: ‘There’s no doubt they were deposited at the same time.’

He said that one of the coins - an Agnus Dei coin containing a lamb and flag – is possibly unique.

‘It’s a mis-struck coin. The lamb should have on the reverse a dove of peace. This doesn’t; it has a short cross.

‘Someone has made a mistake but it is still good silver. They still sent it out.

‘It makes the coin a rare mistake among a group of unique coins.’

Such coins were issued towards the the end of Ethelred’s reign and were a plea to God to protect them from the Vikings.

Mr Coleman first found 985 coins dating from the reign of Ethelred the Unready (illustrated left) in the 990s and a further 4,263 that were minted during the reign of his successor, Canute (painted in a manuscript, right)

He first found 985 coins dating from the reign of Ethelred the Unready in the 990s and a further 4,263 that were minted during the reign of his successor, Canute. Here, the coins are shown in situ

Just 30 Agnus Dei coins had ever been discovered and 25 of those were in Scandinavia.

There have also been just 30 Saxon coins discovered in the area over the course of 150 years because most of them were taken back with the Vikings.

Recalling the moment the hoard was brought into the museum, Mr Thorn said: ‘It was just phenomenal. I came in on Monday morning and there was an email about a hoard of 5,000 coins. I thought it was a typo - you don’t get hoards of that scale, ever. I assumed it meant to say 50; even 500 would be exceptionally exciting.

‘It was a massive amount and I couldn’t believe the condition they were in. The ones I looked at initially were in excellent condition.

‘The first thing we did was phone the British Museum and we drove them down to London that day.

‘Word had spread around the department this was coming in and when we arrived everyone was going “is that the hoard?"

They were as excited about it as we were.

‘This is a massively significant find, which is why we were really pleased the British Museum said they were happy to let us have it.

‘It’s the most sensible place for it - in Buckinghamshire, where it was found.’

The museum will need to raise a percentage of the coins’ total value in order to put them on display, with an official valuation expected in the New Year.

Mr Thorn said analysis of the coins showed they had been minted in 40 different locations around the country.

Recalling the moment the hoard was brought into the museum, Mr Thorn said: ‘It was just phenomenal...It was a massive amount and I couldn’t believe the condition they were in. The ones I looked at initially were in excellent condition. Two examples of coins from the hoard are pictured above left and right

Mr Thorn said analysis of the coins showed they had been minted in 40 different locations around the country. A selection of the silver coins over 1,000 years in age are shown above

Mr Coleman (pictured), who lives in Southampton, Hampshire said: ‘The whole thing has been surreal the whole time.’ He has been pursuing his hobby for 50 years and said: ‘I’ve found Roman coins, medieval coins and quite a few medieval broaches, the stuff that keeps you interested'

Some of the coins were inscribed with the name Coleman, prompting their finder to say: ‘I joked that the hoard had my name on it - I didn’t realise it literally did.

Mr Coleman, who lives in Southampton, Hampshire, said: ‘The whole thing has been surreal the whole time.’

He has been pursuing his hobby for 50 years and said: ‘I’ve found Roman coins, medieval coins and quite a few medieval broaches, the stuff that keeps you interested.

‘The biggest thrill is when you find the personal things like a brooch that an individual has worn - if only you could read the story that went with it. It’s like holding a bit of history.”

Peter Welch, who runs the Weekend Wanderers club, told the Buckinghamshire coroner: ‘This won’t be repeated. I have never had anything like this in 25 years of running the club.’

Coroner Richard Hulett ruled that the hoard should be counted as treasure after hearing the coins were made of more than 10 per cent silver - the minimum level needed to satisfy modern treasure laws.

A lead ‘basket’ which contained the coins - which fell apart during the excavation - was also ruled as treasure after fragments of it were preserved.

THE MOST UNUSUAL COIN

One of the coins found among the hoard - an Agnus Dei coin containing a lamb and flag – is possibly unique.

Brett Thorn, keeper of archaeology at the Buckinghamshire County Museum, said: '‘It’s a mis-struck coin. The lamb should have on the reverse a dove of peace. This doesn’t; it has a short cross.

‘Someone has made a mistake but it is still good silver. They still sent it out.

Such coins were issued towards the the end of Ethelred’s reign and were a plea to God to protect them from the Vikings.

Just 30 Agnus Dei coins had ever been discovered and 25 of those were in Scandinavia.

WHY WERE THE COINS BURIED?

Brett Thorn, keeper of archaeology at the Buckinghamshire County Museum, believes the coins were buried on the way to a mint in Buckingham five miles (8km) away in order to be melted down and re-cast.

New coins were minted every few years, with the holders of old coins having to pay a tax if they tried using them.

Alternatively, Mr Thorn said the money could have been the savings of a single family over the course of 20 years.

Read more: Hoard of 5,000 Anglo Saxon coins unearthed: Treasure includes a 'unique' penny and may be worth more than £1million | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Hoard of 5,000 Anglo Saxon coins unearthed: Treasure includes a 'unique' penny and may be worth more than £1million

Hoard of silver coins was discovered near Lenborough, Buckinghamshire. Some date from the reign of Ethelred the Unready in the 990s and just over 4,000 were minted during the reign of his successor, Canute. One was mis-struck - an Agnus Dei coin containing a lamb and flag. Hoard has been declared treasure, but has not yet been officially valued

3 November 2015
Daily Mail

He almost decided not to dig the site when his metal detector beeped, believing he had come across a hidden manhole cover.

However, his persistence was rewarded when he found the silver pennies, which were buried in two sets, possibly up to 15 years apart, based upon the dates imprinted on them.

He told a treasure trove inquest in Beaconsfield: ‘I wasn’t going to go [hunting for treasure] but I was talked into it.

The hoard includes a uniquely-stamped coin which may be the results of a mix-up at the mint, more than 1,000 years ago.

One showing an animal is pictured on the left, and another from the the reign of Ethelred the Unready in the 990s is pictured right

‘We looked at the aerial photos and chose a field because there were strange markings. We decided to leave the field because there was nothing in it.

‘When the detector started beeping, it felt like the size of a manhole cover and that’s also what caused me to nearly not dig it up. Anything of that size is normally a manhole cover or a squashed bucket.’

Mr Coleman, who is 60 and retired, believes it was fate that caused him to wander over to where the hoard was buried.

He chose a different route because his Deus detector was receiving interference from one belonging to another member of the Weekend Wanderers metal detecting club.

He first found 985 coins dating from the reign of Ethelred the Unready in the 990s and a further 4,263 that were minted during the reign of his successor, Canute.

The coins were taken to the museum in Aylesbury before then being sent to the British Museum for further analysis.

Brett Thorn, keeper of archaeology at the Buckinghamshire County Museum, told the treasure inquest: ‘Normally hoards are fairly small - 10 to 20 coins, something of that order.

‘The largest came in the 1840s, containing 7,000 plus silver objects, and one was recorded in the late 90s. This find is the only modern one which is comparable to those.'

He believes the coins were buried on the way to a mint in Buckingham five miles (8km) away in order to be melted down and re-cast.

The discovery, which was made near Lenborough (marked on this map with a red marker) in Buckinghamshire is said to be the biggest hoard of coins in modern times

Despite the age gap between some of the coins, he told the inquest: ‘There’s no doubt they were deposited at the same time.’

He said that one of the coins - an Agnus Dei coin containing a lamb and flag – is possibly unique.

‘It’s a mis-struck coin. The lamb should have on the reverse a dove of peace. This doesn’t; it has a short cross.

Mr Coleman first found 985 coins dating from the reign of Ethelred the Unready (illustrated left) in the 990s and a further 4,263 that were minted during the reign of his successor, Canute (painted in a manuscript, right)

Here, the coins are shown in situ.

There have also been just 30 Saxon coins discovered in the area over the course of 150 years because most of them were taken back with the Vikings.

Recalling the moment the hoard was brought into the museum, Mr Thorn said: ‘It was just phenomenal. I came in on Monday morning and there was an email about a hoard of 5,000 coins. I thought it was a typo - you don’t get hoards of that scale, ever. I assumed it meant to say 50; even 500 would be exceptionally exciting.

‘It was a massive amount and I couldn’t believe the condition they were in. The ones I looked at initially were in excellent condition.

‘The first thing we did was phone the British Museum and we drove them down to London that day.

‘Word had spread around the department this was coming in and when we arrived everyone was going “is that the hoard?"

‘This is a massively significant find, which is why we were really pleased the British Museum said they were happy to let us have it.

The museum will need to raise a percentage of the coins’ total value in order to put them on display, with an official valuation expected in the New Year.

Mr Thorn said analysis of the coins showed they had been minted in 40 different locations around the country.

Mr Coleman

Some of the coins were inscribed with the name Coleman, prompting their finder to say: ‘I joked that the hoard had my name on it - I didn’t realise it literally did.

Mr Coleman, who lives in Southampton, Hampshire, said: ‘The whole thing has been surreal the whole time.’

He has been pursuing his hobby for 50 years and said: ‘I’ve found Roman coins, medieval coins and quite a few medieval broaches, the stuff that keeps you interested.

‘The biggest thrill is when you find the personal things like a brooch that an individual has worn - if only you could read the story that went with it. It’s like holding a bit of history.”

Peter Welch, who runs the Weekend Wanderers club, told the Buckinghamshire coroner: ‘This won’t be repeated. I have never had anything like this in 25 years of running the club.’

Coroner Richard Hulett ruled that the hoard should be counted as treasure after hearing the coins were made of more than 10 per cent silver - the minimum level needed to satisfy modern treasure laws.

A lead ‘basket’ which contained the coins - which fell apart during the excavation - was also ruled as treasure after fragments of it were preserved.

THE MOST UNUSUAL COIN

One of the coins found among the hoard - an Agnus Dei coin containing a lamb and flag – is possibly unique.

Brett Thorn, keeper of archaeology at the Buckinghamshire County Museum, said: '‘It’s a mis-struck coin. The lamb should have on the reverse a dove of peace. This doesn’t; it has a short cross.

Brett Thorn, keeper of archaeology at the Buckinghamshire County Museum, believes the coins were buried on the way to a mint in Buckingham five miles (8km) away in order to be melted down and re-cast.

Read more: Hoard of 5,000 Anglo Saxon coins unearthed: Treasure includes a 'unique' penny and may be worth more than £1million | Daily Mail Online

I do enjoy your posts on historical and archaeological finds in Britain. That said, I would find them so much more enjoyable were they edited a tad more. Eliminating many of the redundancies does the trick. Great post and thank you, BL.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Some date from the reign of Ethelred the Unready in the 990s and just over 4,000 were minted during the reign of his successor, Canute

3 November 2015
Daily Mail

A hoard of more than 5,000 Anglo Saxon coins has been unearthed (pictured), including what may be a unique coin. The 5,248 coins were found by Paul Coleman on December 21 last year

The 5,248 coins were found by Paul Coleman on December 21 last year. He almost decided not to dig the site when his metal detector beeped, believing he had come across a hidden manhole cover. he is pictured here with some of the Saxon coins in a clear container

He first found 985 coins dating from the reign of Ethelred the Unready in the 990s and a further 4,263 that were minted during the reign of his successor, Canute. Here, the coins are shown in situ

Recalling the moment the hoard was brought into the museum, Mr Thorn said: ‘It was just phenomenal...It was a massive amount and I couldn’t believe the condition they were in. The ones I looked at initially were in excellent condition. Two examples of coins from the hoard are pictured above left and right

Mr Thorn said analysis of the coins showed they had been minted in 40 different locations around the country. A selection of the silver coins over 1,000 years in age are shown above

Mr Coleman (pictured), who lives in Southampton, Hampshire said: ‘The whole thing has been surreal the whole time.’ He has been pursuing his hobby for 50 years and said: ‘I’ve found Roman coins, medieval coins and quite a few medieval broaches, the stuff that keeps you interested'

THE MOST UNUSUAL COIN

I have nothing to add. It just looked like fun to bump this superfluous and redundant trivia.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So, what is today's exchange rate for Sassenach coinage?

How many € are they worth?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You have to read the article.
This one?

3 November 2015
Daily Mail

THE MOST UNUSUAL COIN

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

3 November 2015
Daily Mail

THE MOST UNUSUAL COIN

Yes, this one.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yes was interesting and unedited. Coleman is lucky. Is there a concern in Britian about groups like this tresspassing?

You do get some detectorists going on to farmers' lands and whatnot without persmission to see what they can find (if anything). They often go on at night, of course, and these are called nighthawkers. These are seen as the lowest of the low by archaeologists, because they often turn up at archaeological digs in the dead of night to scavenge artefacts. But I don't think it's a huge problem. It's just a minority of detectorists who do that. Most either do their metal detecting in public places - when I was younger my dad had a metal detector that he often used on the beach - or in places like their own gardens or they get permission from farmers to do some detecting on their land. Legitimate detectorists that are members of the National Council for Metal Detecting (NCMD) are subscribers to the Alliance to Reduce Crime against Heritage (ARCH).

There's a brilliant, well-written BBC comedy series at the moment called Detectorists about two metal detecting friends in the fictional northern Essex town of Danebury, which is named after the real life Iron Age hill fort of Danebury in Hampshire. It stars Mackenzie Crook (famous for playing Gareth Keenan in The Office and Ragetti in Pirates of the Caribbean) and Toby Jones and is also written and directed by Mackenzie Crook.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detectorists

Last edited: