Is this the witch of Rollright?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The remains of a 1,400 year-old Saxon woman believed to be a pagan witch has been uncovered by a metal detector enthusiast.

They were discovered near the Rollright Stones in Warwickshire - a group of ancient monuments that legend has it were created when a witch turned a king and his knights to stone.

An early-Saxon religious utensil called a patera was found with the bones, leading to suggestions of witchcraft.

Charles Wood, 44, made the astonishing discovery when he was out on a social dig with friends in a field near the historic site.

When the IT professional’s metal detector murmured, he began digging and uncovered the pristine patera – only the fifth to be found in Britain - buried around 14 inches (35cm) down.

The Rollright Stones is a complex of three Neolithic and Bronze Age megalithic monuments near the village of Long Compton on the borders of Oxfordshire and Warwickshire. Constructed from local oolitic limestone, the three monuments now known as the King's Men, the King Stone and the Whispering Knights are distinct in their design and purpose, and were built at different periods in late prehistory. The stretch of time during which the three monuments were erected bears witness to a continuous tradition of ritual behaviour on sacred ground from the 4th to the 2nd millennium BC.

Is this the witch of Rollright? 1,400-year-old skeleton unearthed with a rare religious spoon at Bronze Age monument

Bones were found near the famous Rollright Stones in Warwickshire

Legend has it a witch turned a king and his men into the stones

Remains believed to belong to a witch because of a patera found with her

A patera is a religious utensil used by the Romans and Anglo Saxons

By Sarah Griffiths for MailOnline
7 August 2015
Daily Mail

The remains of a 1,400 year-old Saxon woman believed to be a pagan witch has been uncovered by a metal detector enthusiast.

They were discovered near the Rollright Stones in Warwickshire - a group of ancient monuments that legend has it were created when a witch turned a king and his knights to stone.

An early-Saxon religious utensil called a patera was found with the bones, leading to suggestions of witchcraft.

A magical find: The remains of a 1,400 year-old Saxon woman (pictured), believed to be a pagan witch, has been uncovered by a metal detector enthusiast

Charles Wood, 44, made the astonishing discovery when he was out on a social dig with friends in a field near the historic site.

When the IT professional’s metal detector murmured, he began digging and uncovered the pristine patera – only the fifth to be found in Britain - buried around 14 inches (35cm) down.

He called the local finds liaison officer, Anni Byard, who arrived the next day to help the group dig deeper.

Together, they uncovered the skeleton of a petite Saxon woman who was between 4 feet 11 inches and 5ft tall (1.5 meters) and has been dubbed Rita.

It’s been playfully suggested she might be the Rollright witch in the legend, although the dates don't quite match because the stones are neolithic, making them over two thousand years older.

Mr Wood said he had not been expecting to find much in the hard ground.

‘I got 14 inches down and a small bronze rim appeared, but it seemed in too good condition to be anything significant.

An early-Saxon religious utensil called a patera (pictured) was found with the bones, leading to suggestions of witchcraft. It was probably used to hold embers of fires to cook food or wine as offerings to gods

‘As I dug further though I saw it had a handle and it soon became obvious it was a patera - which is a very significant find.

‘There’s a myth around here of the Rollright Witch, and this find is certainly very interesting because of the spiritual element.

‘I’m not saying anything for sure, but there’s no smoke without fire.

‘It was a once in a lifetime find. I could detect for the next 14 years and not find anything like it.’

The remains were discovered near the Rollright Stones in Warwickshire. Legend has it that the group of ancient monuments were created when a witch turned a king and his four knights (pictured, the Whispering Knights) to stone

‘Rita’ (skull shown left) has now been sent to the British Museum for research along with a large amber bead and an amethyst set silver mount, which were found in her grave. A close-up of the patera is shown right

‘Rita’ has now been sent to the British Museum in London for research along with a large amber bead and an amethyst set silver mount, which were found in her grave.

A large spindle whorl was also found suggesting the skeleton was a spiritual woman of high status from about 600 AD.

Mr Woods (pictured) said: ‘It was a once in a lifetime find. I could detect for the next 14 years and not find anything like it’

After the museum finishes its tests, a Coroner’s Court will determine if the find is treasure. If so, Mr Wood will split any value with the landowner.

Anni Byard, West Berkshire and Oxfordshire finds liaison officer under the Portable Antiquities Scheme, said: ‘This is one of the most significant single Saxon graves discovered in several years.

‘We are all very excited to see what the analysis shows us.

‘The location of the grave is of significance, and the items found with her were possibly religious in nature.

‘She was definitely somebody of importance at that time, but this will take further investigation.

‘We are currently trying to raise grants to examine the soil of the grave, this might be able to tell us something more.’

Pateras were originally carried by Roman soldiers who would have placed embers of fires to cook food or wine as offerings to the Gods.

Mr Woods said: ‘This confirms that Anglo-Saxons copied the Roman pateras and used them across their kingdoms, after four others have been found in the UK.

‘Two were uncovered under Whitby Abbey a few years ago, along with another on the Isle of Wight, and another sometime in the 19th Century.

‘It differs from the Roman design because it has a longer, thinner handle.’

Ongoing research into the grave will continue and involve experts from Oxford University’s School of Archaeology, Historic England, the British Museum and members of the Rollright Trust.

WHAT IS A PATERA?

A patera is a religious utensil that slightly resembles a ladle.

They were originally carried by Roman soldiers who would have placed embers of fires to cook food or wine as offerings to the gods.

The find suggests Anglo Saxons copied the ritual and used pateras across their kingdom, because four others have been found in Britain.

The Anglo Saxon design differs to the Roman one, because it has a longer, thinner handle.

LEGEND OF THE ROLLRIGHT WITCH

The Whispering Knights

It's been playfully suggested that the woman's remains could be that of the Rollright Witch.

However, the skeleton's thought to date to 600AD, whereas the stones are neolithic and thought to date between 2,500 and 2,000BC.

According to local legend, a king with a plan to rule all of England was stopped by a witch at the Rollrights.

According to a written version penned in 1586 she challenged the king, saying: 'Seven long strides shalt thou take and if Long Compton thou canst see, King of England thou shalt be.'

To which the king responded: 'Stick, stock, stone, as king of England I shall be known,' Rollrightstones.co.uk reported.

The King's Men

But on his seventh step, the ground rose up and the witch declared:

'As Long Compton thou canst not see King of England thou shalt not be.
'Rise up stick and stand still stone for King of England thou shalt be none
'Thou and thy men hoar stones shall be
And I myself an eldern tree.'

So the king and his men become stone and legend has it, one day the magic will be undone.

Many stone circles and standing stones in Britain are said to be revellers petrified by God or the devil for dancing on the Sabbath.

It's thought they may have been dreamed up at a time when Christianity was struggling to win over the hearts and minds of pagans.

The King Stone

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I sometimes wish the internet would go down in britain. Just for a little break like, ya know.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Obviously too many words for the average Canadian.

nothing average about me ruprecht. :lol:

been more places, banged more quiff, owned better cars and have far more cash than you'll ever see.

oh, and I have all my hair.

brits are typical average (_!_) 's.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
been more places, banged more quiff, owned better cars and have far more cash than you'll ever see.

What absolute codswallop.

(I hope you aren't struggling with all those three-syllable words)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
What absolute codswallop.

(I hope you aren't struggling with all those three-syllable words)

*clears throat*

listen Ruprecht...

I have inhabited and or performed visitations upon, a greater number of locales, consorted and fornicated by far a vast number of winsome paramours, purchased leased or obtained a higher quality of conveyances and accumulated greater net-worth and cash-in-hand than you'll ever see, by the way.

and furthermore, my handsome capitulum is fully flocculent and brutishly bewhiskered.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
the fourteen hundred year old bones are belived to have belonged to a pagan.

The Anglo-Saxons were eventually made to see the light and started converting to the one true faith in around 597.

Augustine was the prior of a monastery in Rome when Pope Gregory the Great chose him in 595 to lead a mission, usually known as the Gregorian mssion, to Britain to Christianise King Æthelberht and his Kingdom of Kent from Anglo-Saxon paganism.

Becoming the first Archbishop of Canterbury, Augustine took office in 597. In 601, he baptised the first Christian Anglo-Saxon king, Æthelberht of Kent. The last pagan king, and the last Jutish King of the Isle Wight, Arwald, died in 686.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
No we didn't.

Well, the civilised and righteous amongst us have, like me. That's why, should the Rapture occur in the near future, I'll be one of those who will instantaneously disappear to be taken to Heaven whereas you and all the other non-believers will remain on Earth to witness Our Lord's Second Coming during which time He will, once again, tell you all about the errors of your ways.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Not really. The human body belongs to God and therefore shouldn't be vandalised in such a way.

You poor heathen and idolator the book specifically and repeatedly commands us to not become worshippers of the flesh, it's your spirit which will assend but only if it's unemcucummberd by the filthy bits of meat. You cannot take your pecker with you.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You poor heathen and idolator the book specifically and repeatedly commands us to not become worshippers of the flesh, it's your spirit which will assend but only if it's unemcucummberd by the filthy bits of meat. You cannot take your pecker with you.

The body itself, whether dead or alive, will ascend to heaven during Rapture. The bodies of those who have died in Christ, from the day of Pentecost (Acts 2: 1 - 8 ) to the Rapture, will be "bodily" raised from the grave, as the Rapture takes place. All those believers, dead or alive when the Rapture takes place, who suddenly vanish, leaving their clothes and earthly belongings behind, go to meet the Lord.

All those who have rejected Christ - like you - will be left behind upon the Earth. Immediately following the Rapture, the tribulation will begin upon the Earth. The tribulation will last for seven years, during which period the Antichrist will rise to power. He will be a world dictator wielding incredible lying wonders and signs. This will be followed by Armageddon, in which billions will die.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
*clears throat*

listen Ruprecht...

I have inhabited and or performed visitations upon, a greater number of locales, consorted and fornicated by far a vast number of winsome paramours, purchased leased or obtained a higher quality of conveyances and accumulated greater net-worth and cash-in-hand than you'll ever see, by the way.

and furthermore, my handsome capitulum is fully flocculent and brutishly bewhiskered.
Got the clap, eh gov.?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The body itself, whether dead or alive, will ascend to heaven during Rapture. The bodies of those who have died in Christ, from the day of Pentecost (Acts 2: 1 - 8 ) to the Rapture, will be "bodily" raised from the grave, as the Rapture takes place. All those believers, dead or alive when the Rapture takes place, who suddenly vanish, leaving their clothes and earthly belongings behind, go to meet the Lord.

All those who have rejected Christ - like you - will be left behind upon the Earth. Immediately following the Rapture, the tribulation will begin upon the Earth. The tribulation will last for seven years, during which period the Antichrist will rise to power. He will be a world dictator wielding incredible lying wonders and signs. This will be followed by Armageddon, in which billions will die.

The flesh is the clothing of the spiritual body. While the flesh remains behind here in hell. Seven is the lucky number marking the end of our earthly tempering in bondage to matter. Everyone dies from Armageddon. The Anti Christ is already Lord of this world and has been since the beginning of rational thought.