Bronze Age knife discovered on beach by tourists

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A 3,000-year-old Bronze Age knife has been discovered on a popular beach by two curious holidaymakers.

Christopher and June Preece came across the ancient artefact hidden beneath a stone slab while visiting Sandown Beach on the Isle of Wight.

Experts believe it would probably have been used as a leather working tool, rather than as a weapon.

While most people would be content sunbathing or collecting shells, the couple from Banbury, Oxfordshire, used a metal detector to hunt for historical objects and were surprised to find such an old tool.

They took it to the Isle of Wight Council's finds liaison officer, Frank Basford, who confirmed the knife was made in 1,000BC.

Bronze Age knife discovered on beach by tourists: 3,000-year-old leather-working tool found hidden beneath the sand

Couple used a metal detector to hunt for metal objects on Sandown Beach

They found the knife or leather working tool beneath a stone slab

Experts confirmed the tool is 3,000-years-old and made of copper alloy

Find is now on display at Newport Roman Villa on the Isle of Wight

By Sarah Griffiths for MailOnline
3 August 2015
Daily Mail

A 3,000-year-old Bronze Age knife has been discovered on a popular beach by two curious holidaymakers.

Christopher and June Preece came across the ancient artefact hidden beneath a stone slab while visiting Sandown Beach on the Isle of Wight.

Experts believe it would probably have been used as a leather working tool, rather than as a weapon.

Christopher and June Preece came across the ancient knife or tool (pictured) hidden beneath a stone slab on the beach. Experts believe it would probably have been used as a leather working tool, rather than as a weapon

While most people would be content sunbathing or collecting shells, the couple from Banbury, Oxfordshire, used a metal detector to hunt for historical objects and were surprised to find such an old tool.

They took it to the Isle of Wight Council's finds liaison officer, Frank Basford, who confirmed the knife was made in 1,000BC.

He told them the object is a small knife from the Bronze Age made from copper alloy.

Mr Preece, an artist said: ‘June and I love searching for items with our metal detectors.

While most people would be content sunbathing or collecting shells, the couple from Banbury, Oxfordshire, used a metal detector to hunt for historical objects and were surprised to find such an old tool on Sandown beach on the Isle of Wight

‘We were enjoying a one-week holiday and were walking on Sandown Beach when the detector buzzed and we noticed that the objects looked unusual.

‘I have a keen interest in history and immediately thought they were very old, because the knife has a green colour which is often found on old copper.

‘The shape also gave me an indication it was an historical artefact. ‘

He said it was an ‘unbelievable feeling’ when they found out the knife is 3,000 years old.

Councillor Shirley Smart, Isle of Wight Council Executive Member for tourism, said: 'This is a wonderful discovery for the Isle of Wight.' This image shows Sandown's beach and promenade in the 19th century

‘It's amazing someone made that 3,000 years ago to use - I couldn't even make one now even with all of the latest technology available.

‘It is remarkable the knife is still here and it's a great feeling that I was able to save it before it got washed away.’

June added: ‘To be told the knife is several thousand years old is just incredible. We never thought what we found was so old.'

The Bronze Age knife is now on display at Newport Roman Villa on the island, along with a button the couple found that dates to the 17th century.

Councillor Shirley Smart, Isle of Wight Council Executive Member for tourism, said: ‘This is a wonderful discovery for the Isle of Wight.

‘I want to personally thank Christopher and June for not only making the finds but also kindly donating them to us so that people can enjoy them.’

Newport Roman Villa

MYSTERIOUS BRONZE AGE SPIRALS UNEARTHED IN DENMARK

Almost 2,000 gold spirals from the Bronze Age were unearthed at Boeslunde in Denmark last month.

The discovery baffled archaeologists who said they have never seen anything like them before.

They surmised the fine gold spirals, dating to the Bronze Age between 900 and 700BC, may have been part of a priest king's costume.

Mystery: The discovery baffled archaeologists who said they have never seen anything like them before

The spirals measure up to one inch (3cm) in length and are made of very thin, flattened gold wire.

Flemming Kaul, curator at the National Museum of Denmark, said: ''Maybe the spirals have been attached to cords which have served as a small fringe on a hat or a parasol.'

'Perhaps they have been braided into the hair or been embroidered on the suit.

'The fact is that we do not know, but I tend to believe they were part of a priest king's costume or headwear.'

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Big deal. I have boxes of stoneage weaponry and tools and more keep popping out of the ground every spring.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
yes they will but that doesn't insure a buyer. It might be worth 1 million in their estimates but the buyers of antiquities might tell you it ain't worth a wagon full of poopie. :).

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
yes they will but that doesn't insure a buyer. It might be worth 1 million in their estimates but the buyers of antiquities might tell you it ain't worth a wagon full of poopie. :).

A Bronze Age knife must be worth something. A few monkey at least, no doubt about it.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
A Bronze Age knife must be worth something. A few monkey at least, no doubt about it.
In a practical sense, it ain't worth a plug nickel. Just some old fvcking thing to hang on a wall or sit on a shelf and people can say hey,,,,,there's an old fvckin knife from the bronze age. It's about as important in a practical sense as the great American Ball player who gets payed a couple million a year.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
In a practical sense, it ain't worth a plug nickel. Just some old fvcking thing to hang on a wall or sit on a shelf and people can say hey,,,,,there's an old fvckin knife from the bronze age. It's about as important in a practical sense as the great American Ball player who gets payed a couple million a year.

Come off it. Such a treasure will be worth a hell of a lot. I'm sure the experts on Antiques Roadshow would come up with a hefty approximate worth for it. If I found it I'd expect Bolton Museum to offer me a few Bags of Sand for it.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Come off it. Such a treasure will be worth a hell of a lot. I'm sure the experts on Antiques Roadshow would come up with a hefty approximate worth for it. If I found it I'd expect Bolton Museum to offer me a few Bags of Sand for it.
yes but what good is the damn thang. Ye cain't even peel potatoes with the stupid thang.