Stolen Roman artifacts brought thief 'nothing but trouble'

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Stolen Roman artifacts brought thief 'nothing but trouble'
'Do not steal antiquities,' the robber writes in note alongside returned stones
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 02:38 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 13, 2015 02:58 PM EDT
JERUSALEM -- Israel's Antiquities Authority says an anonymous Israeli robber left two 2,000-year-old Roman sling stones at a museum with a typed note saying the stolen artifacts "brought me nothing but trouble."
An employee of the Museum of Islamic and Near Eastern Cultures in Beersheva, Israel, said Monday he found the artifacts in a bag in the museum courtyard last week.
The robber wrote that he or she stole the artifacts 20 years ago from ancient Gamla, a Jewish town in the Golan Heights that was the site of a Roman siege in the first century.
The robber ended the note with the message, "Do not steal antiquities!" There was also a map of the site in the bag with an "X" marked on it, likely marking where the stones were taken.
A thief returned two stolen ancient artifacts along with the following note: "These are two Roman ballista balls from Gamla, from a residential quarter at the foot of the summit. I stole them in July 1995 and since then they have brought me nothing but trouble. Please, do not steal antiquities!" (Israel Antiquities Authority/Supplied)

Stolen Roman artifacts brought thief 'nothing but trouble' | Weird | News | Toro