Could Henry I become the second 'car park' King?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Discovering the body of one king under a car park would be considered an achievement of a lifetime for most historians - but the woman who led the search for Richard III is hoping to find another.

Screenwriter and amateur historian Philippa Langley has instigated a search to uncover the final resting place of 12th-century king Henry I.

And – just like Richard III’s grave in Leicester – researchers believe his grave could also be concealed under what is now a car park.

Historic England (formerly English Heritage) are backing a project to investigate the remains of Reading Abbey, which was founded in 1121 as a royal mausoleum for the king.

It was destroyed in 1539 during the dissolution of the monasteries and its ruins are now partly under a primary school and its accompanying playground and car park.

Ground-penetrating radar (GPR) work on the area will start next year to establish the layout of the abbey and any potential coffin sites, followed by test trenches to estimate its archaeological potential as part of the Hidden Abbey Project.

Henry I was the son of William the Conqueror (William I) and reigned from 1100 to 1135.

Could Henry I become the second 'car park' King? Team who discovered Richard III launch search in Reading for monarch who was buried in abbey destroyed in 1539

Amateur historian Philippa Langley begins hunt to find 12th-century king

Historic England backs project to investigate remains of Reading Abbey

It was destroyed in 1539 and ruins are now under a school and car park

Remains of Richard III were found under a car park in Leicester in 2012

By Rosie Taylor for the Daily Mail
22 May 2015
Daily Mail

Described as cruel: Henry I, who once cut the noses off two of his illegitimate granddaughters, was a youngest son who rose to become king

Discovering the body of one king under a car park would be considered an achievement of a lifetime for most historians - but the woman who led the search for Richard III is hoping to find another.

Screenwriter and amateur historian Philippa Langley has instigated a search to uncover the final resting place of 12th-century king Henry I.

And – just like Richard III’s grave in Leicester – researchers believe his grave could also be concealed under what is now a car park.

Historic England (formerly English Heritage) are backing a project to investigate the remains of Reading Abbey, which was founded in 1121 as a royal mausoleum for the king.

It was destroyed in 1539 during the dissolution of the monasteries and its ruins are now partly under a primary school and its accompanying playground and car park.

Ground-penetrating radar (GPR) work on the area will start next year to establish the layout of the abbey and any potential coffin sites, followed by test trenches to estimate its archaeological potential as part of the Hidden Abbey Project.

Although historians know Henry I was buried at the site, along with his second wife Adeliza and great-grandson William of Poitiers, there are suggestions it may have been raided by workmen centuries later who stole his silver casket and discarded his remains.

Amateur historian: Philippa Langley - pictured as the world's only facial reconstruction of Richard III was unveiled in 2013 - has instigated a search to uncover the final resting place of 12th-century king Henry I

Resting place: Just like Richard III’s grave in Leicester (above) - found in 2012 - researchers believe Henry I's grave could also be concealed under what is now a car park in Reading

Modern-day ceremony: Richard III's coffin processes on a gun carriage through Leicester in March this year on its way to the cathedral where his remains were reburied. He died at the battle of Bosworth in 1485

Ms Langley told BBC History Magazine: ‘The exact location of Richard III’s remains was unknown, and here too we have a story of a king’s bones possibly being lost.

‘What’s really exciting is that we know that Henry was buried in front of the high altar, with members of his family buried in specific locations around him.

‘The thinking in Reading, using current estimates of the size of the abbey, is that this burial spot is located beneath a school. If the abbey is larger, it could be situated underneath either what is today a playground or car park.

‘That option is considered less likely but if Henry’s tomb is beneath the car park that will be interesting.’

Like Richard III, Henry I was a youngest son who rose to become king.

Historically, he has been seen as a usurper because he had himself crowned while his elder brother Robert Curthose was away on a crusade.

He was described as cruel – he once cut the noses off two of his illegitimate granddaughters – but was also credited with bringing stability to Norman England and establishing the Charter of Liberties, a forerunner to the Magna Carta.

Reigning from 1100 to 1135, he died in France after eating lampreys – an eel-like fish. His intestines, brain and eyes were buried locally, while the rest of his body was embalmed and returned to Reading for burial.

The latest edition of BBC History Magazine is out now

The remains of Reading Abbey in Reading, Berkshire

KING WHO HAD HIMSELF CROWNED

Henry I was the fourth son of William the Conqueror.

His eldest brother William II (Rufus) followed his father to become king but he was killed whilst hunting in the New Forest in 1100. It may be that William was murdered on the orders of Henry rather than it being an accident.

Henry had himself crowned while his brother Robert was on a crusade. Their other brother had died.

He later gave Robert territories in Normandy in return for his giving up his claim to the throne, but five years later invaded, capturing his brother and holding him prisoner for the remaining 28 years of his life.

Henry married Mathilda of Scotland and had two legitimate sons and a daughter, as well as several illegitimate children.

But his sons died and the crown passed to his nephew, Stephen, on his death.

Read more: Team who discovered Richard III launch search in Reading for Henry I | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited: