Irish town builds memorial to thank Choctaws

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
In what is one of the most surprising and generous contributions to Irish famine relief, a group of Choctaw people gathered in Scullyville, Oklahoma, on March 23, 1847 to collect funds for the starving Irish people. They passed money collected onto a U.S. famine relief organization, in an extraordinary act of kindness from those who already had so little.

Just 16 years prior to this collection, the Choctaws were among one of the so-called “civilized tribes”, who were forced off their land by President Andrew Jackson (the son of Irish immigrants) and forced to complete a 500-mile trek to Oklahoma that would become known as the Trail of Tears.

Despite the allegiance shown by the Choctaws to General Jackson during the War of 1812, the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek signed on September 27, 1830, resulted in the Choctaws signing away the remainder of their traditional homelands in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida and undertaking a forced march off the land. Over half the 21,000 Choctaws forced on this march perished on the trail due to malnutrition, disease and exposure.

The winter the Choctaws spent on the Trail of Tears was one of the coldest on record and even those who survived the journey to Oklahoma faced further hardships in creating new communities for themselves, along with new homes, schools, and churches.

It is this terrible journey that inspired Pentak for his creation, “To see members of your family drop to the side of the road and to be powerless. To change that course of history. That stirred my imagination.”

more

Irish town builds memorial to thank Native Americans who helped during Famine - IrishCentral.com

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
The Choctaws were pussies. They would have been better off fighting to the death. Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
It would probably be very difficult for a peaceful people who have never been exposed to treachery, to defend themselves from deception. K.C. Davis in his "Don't Know Much" series is a good read to learn the accurate history of events like these.