A Pagan Reclaims Winter Solstice

Nonious

Dec 7, 2014
Barnsley Sth Yorkshire UK
So the panic buying's over, the presents unwrapped and the gluttony satisfied BUT here's one Pagan who's reclaiming the true winter festival.
Point one - IF JC ever existed he was born in what was then the TENTH month of the calendar (dec as the start of December being the clue) before Julius and Augustus decided they wanted eternal reminders of their lives in the form of July and August.
Point two - the Romans used assimilation as part of their ruling strategy hence the baths in Bath being called Sulis-Minerva, they would study local gods/deities and compare to the pantheon of Roman deities to find equivalents so when they encountered the 'British' winter solstice festival it was turned into Saturnalia.
Point three - the early Christian church followed suit and not only planted churches on top of Pagan sacred sites (their thinking being that people were already used to celebrating sacred times there) but re-named the festivals; e.g. Eostre, with its hares NOT rabbits (rabbits didn't arrive until the Romans did!) became Easter.

So kick Christmas OUT of December, give us back the Solstice and let us Pagans give thanks to THE LADY for the turning of the New Year which came with the lengthening days.

Happy New Year to all!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So the panic buying's over, the presents unwrapped and the gluttony satisfied BUT here's one Pagan who's reclaiming the true winter festival.
Point one - IF JC ever existed he was born in what was then the TENTH month of the calendar (dec as the start of December being the clue) before Julius and Augustus decided they wanted eternal reminders of their lives in the form of July and August.
Point two - the Romans used assimilation as part of their ruling strategy hence the baths in Bath being called Sulis-Minerva, they would study local gods/deities and compare to the pantheon of Roman deities to find equivalents so when they encountered the 'British' winter solstice festival it was turned into Saturnalia.
Point three - the early Christian church followed suit and not only planted churches on top of Pagan sacred sites (their thinking being that people were already used to celebrating sacred times there) but re-named the festivals; e.g. Eostre, with its hares NOT rabbits (rabbits didn't arrive until the Romans did!) became Easter.

So kick Christmas OUT of December, give us back the Solstice and let us Pagans give thanks to THE LADY for the turning of the New Year which came with the lengthening days.

Happy New Year to all!
yeah it isn't going to happen and no one took your Solstice so you could just accept that, and not angst over it and enjoy the season in any manner you choose...many of us do. ;-)

Happy New Year.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Point one - IF JC ever existed

Jesus Christ DID exist. Are you doubtful of the existence of King John, too?

he was born in what was then the TENTH month of the calendar (dec as the start of December being the clue) before Julius and Augustus decided they wanted eternal reminders of their lives in the form of July and August.
Bull****.

Nobody is too sure when exactly Christ was born. Despite that, Christmas is the annual festival which commemorates the birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ (did your school never hold Christmas Nativity plays?). Is there any rule that states that we have to celebrate Our Lord's birth on the actual day He was born?

While the month and date of Jesus' birth are unknown, by the early-to-mid 4th century, the Western Christian Church had placed Christmas on December 25,a date later adopted in the East,although some churches celebrate on the December 25 of the older Julian calendar, which, in the Gregorian calendar, currently corresponds to January 7, the day after the Western Christian Church celebrates the Epiphany. The date of Christmas may have initially been chosen to correspond with the day exactly nine months after early Christians believed Jesus had been conceived or with one or more ancient polytheistic festivals that occurred near southern solstice (i.e., the Roman winter solstice); a further solar connection has been suggested because of a biblical verseidentifying Jesus as the "Sun of righteousness".

Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, thanks. Me and billions of other people around the world love Christmas and enjoy celebrating it. Why should we get rid of a popular Christian festival, celebrated annually by billions of people, just to suit a few "Pagans" (or LibDem voters as I call them) like yourself?

Nonious

Dec 7, 2014

Bull****.

Nobody is too sure when exactly Christ was born. Despite that, Christmas is the annual festival which commemorates the birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ (did your school never hold Christmas Nativity plays?). Is there any rule that states that we have to celebrate Our Lord's birth on the actual day He was born?

While the month and date of Jesus' birth are unknown, by the early-to-mid 4th century, the Western Christian Church had placed Christmas on December 25,a date later adopted in the East,although some churches celebrate on the December 25 of the older Julian calendar, which, in the Gregorian calendar, currently corresponds to January 7, the day after the Western Christian Church celebrates the Epiphany. The date of Christmas may have initially been chosen to correspond with the day exactly nine months after early Christians believed Jesus had been conceived or with one or more ancient polytheistic festivals that occurred near southern solstice (i.e., the Roman winter solstice); a further solar connection has been suggested because of a biblical verseidentifying Jesus as the "Sun of righteousness".

No, thanks. Me and billions of other people around the world love Christmas and enjoy celebrating it. Why should we get rid of a popular Christian festival, celebrated annually by billions of people, just to suit a few "Pagans" (or LibDem voters as I call them) like yourself?
Infant school nativity - yes I played Mary! Actually played the ONLY other person to stand by "JC" i.e. Mary Magdalene in my comprehensive school's version of Jesus Christ Superstar.
Why would I doubt the existence of King John his life is a documented FACT. Complete with his great Seal - NOT signature - on Magna Carta.
I'm not asking to "get rid of" anything all I ask is for the FAR more ancient winter celebration to be given back the place Christianity stole.
I happily celebrate Eid, Diwali and other important religious happenings with friends, I have NO objection to Christmas per se - if faith helps someone live life well then amen to that - respect for something which was sacred LONG before Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism et al were invented would not go amiss.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'd prefer driving to family Christmas celebrations on unfrozen roads with the windows down - but I like a white Christmas too. It snowed here Christmas Eve so all is cool....

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'd prefer driving to family Christmas celebrations on unfrozen roads with the windows down - but I like a white Christmas too. It snowed here Christmas Eve so all is cool....
awesome...

my girlfriend from Edmonton asked me the temp here today...8° I said...aw it doesn't feel festive then she asked?

Festive....pour the wine, and put the oven on and give me a gift...I'm festive as hell

once it gets dark outside and I smell wonderful cooking smells I really don't care if the sound I hear coming out of the furnace is heat or AC....it's all good

I love snow...I do love that blanketed white diamond sparkle...but for Christmas...I don't care

but I do prefer to have all of the seasons...can't imagine living tropical all year

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Download the following video using firefox downloader or another youtube downloader...record it to a DVD with your favorite video maker
You can run it on your TV sound effect and all......................enjoy

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Doesn't really matter we have returned to the politically correct celebration anyway
the PC's beat you too it. We can all celebrate what ever the hell we want I do it as
Christmas some do Solstice and others hold a festival of lights The whole reason for
the winter thing is most were engaged in farming and winter saw little work and more
time

Nonious

Dec 7, 2014

Bull****.

P.S. 'Lib-Dem' voter? I have faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too much imagination to vote for them. Oh and it snowed here on Boxing Day so we're now snowed in!
And I hate what the PC brigade do - full stop.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
awesome...

my girlfriend from Edmonton asked me the temp here today...8° I said...aw it doesn't feel festive then she asked?

Festive....pour the wine, and put the oven on and give me a gift...I'm festive as hell

once it gets dark outside and I smell wonderful cooking smells I really don't care if the sound I hear coming out of the furnace is heat or AC....it's all good

I love snow...I do love that blanketed white diamond sparkle...but for Christmas...I don't care

but I do prefer to have all of the seasons...can't imagine living tropical all year
I never liked being cold but probably because I was raised in the desert and maybe have thin blood. Still, I remember my 17 plus years in the Ozarks and the colors of the maples in the fall and the first winter snows. I guess if I didn't have to be out working in it, I'd prefer the four seasons myself. Use to sit outside filling the wood furnace at night and I'd sit there for the longest time listening to the light tapping of the snow flakes on the tin roof covering me and staring at the fire. I liked that.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I never liked being cold but probably because I was raised in the desert and maybe have thin blood. Still, I remember my 17 plus years in the Ozarks and the colors of the maples in the fall and the first winter snows. I guess if I didn't have to be out working in it, I'd prefer the four seasons myself. Use to sit outside filling the wood furnace at night and I'd sit there for the longest time listening to the light tapping of the snow flakes on the tin roof covering me and staring at the fire. I liked that.
Sounds wonderful.
I hate being cold too...I need the heat up during the winter...I like my place at 23° which is pretty high.

There is something magical about walking alone on a crisp winter's night with the moon gleaming on the snow and the crunch of the boots making a rhythmic pattern that lulls and calms the senses...watching the steam of one's breath curl up on the night air and the stars glitter in an inky black sky...there's a quiet that occurs that can happen at no other time of the year. It's transforming.

First winter snows are beautiful..it's as though they have been missed and everything has just waited for the snow to fall.. it seems to warm the earth somehow...it's colder just before the snow blankets the earth.

Fall is my favourite time of the year...I would miss it the most if I were to move from this province.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Happy New Year to all!

waaa waaa waaaa...... The only one that would be preventing you and your fellow Pagans from celebrating the winter solstice would be yourselves. No one else. Or are you one that REQUIRES others to celebrate YOUR beliefs and the hell with theirs?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Download the following video using firefox downloader or another youtube downloader...record it to a DVD with your favorite video maker
You can run it on your TV sound effect and all......................enjoy

Shaw already provides that service for the city folk. We got the olde fashioned kind that requires feeding a few times a day.

Nonious

Dec 7, 2014
Sounds fabulous - I love Autumn, as the poet wrote "a time of mists and mellow fruitfulness" - but winter's my favourite; despite being a spring-born. Don't think I could ever live in a place without seasons.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I prefer seasonal change, but that may just be because I grew up with changes.

I'd be game to try a year or so with no real seasonal changes...might be interesting. There'd need to be lots of places to hike and explore.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
waaa waaa waaaa...... The only one that would be preventing you and your fellow Pagans from celebrating the winter solstice would be yourselves. No one else. Or are you one that REQUIRES others to celebrate YOUR beliefs and the hell with theirs?

How many times do you have to prove you're a a heartless senceless idiot?

I like summer, it's warm.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
How many times do you have to prove you're a a heartless senceless idiot?

I'm not the one wanting to toss out someone elses beliefs.

isn't time for you to shoot up/snort/toke or what ever your present form of drug intake is?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm not the one wanting to toss out someone elses beliefs.

isn't time for you to shoot up/snort/toke or what ever your present form of drug intake is?
Believe what you will. I know, I don't have to believe, it is as it is.
Ou're an interesting person, I wouldn't trade you for a bqag of hammers.
I hope you gain a lighter side though,. It's easier to carry,. Fu ck off and have a happy new year.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Believe what you will. I know, I don't have to believe, it is as it is.
Ou're an interesting person, I wouldn't trade you for a bqag of hammers.
I hope you gain a lighter side though,. It's easier to carry,.

I see you have already partaken of your favorite drug(s).