He Saved 669 Children During The Holocaust…

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He Saved 669 Children During The Holocaust… And He Doesn’t Know They’re Sitting Next To Him.
Sir Nicholas Winton is a humanitarian who organized a rescue operation that saved the lives of 669 Jewish Czechoslovakia children from Nazi death camps, and brought them to the safety of Great Britain between the years 1938-1939.

After the war, his efforts remained unknown. But in 1988, Winton’s wife Grete found the scrapbook from 1939 with the complete list of children’s names and photos. This is a clip of a video where Sir Nicholas Winton is sitting in an audience of Jewish Czechoslovakian people whom he saved 50 years before.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
You should warn people they'll need a tissue or 2 to watch that video. wow.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm confused. He's a hero for not allowing children to be killed? Interesting.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm confused. He's a hero for not allowing children to be killed? Interesting.

If someone rescued my kids from burning up in a fire I'd consider him/her to be a hero.

He Saved 669 Children During The Holocaust… And He Doesn’t Know They’re Sitting Next To Him.
Sir Nicholas Winton is a humanitarian who organized a rescue operation that saved the lives of 669 Jewish Czechoslovakia children from Nazi death camps, and brought them to the safety of Great Britain between the years 1938-1939.

After the war, his efforts remained unknown. But in 1988, Winton’s wife Grete found the scrapbook from 1939 with the complete list of children’s names and photos. This is a clip of a video where Sir Nicholas Winton is sitting in an audience of Jewish Czechoslovakian people whom he saved 50 years before.

I listened to his story on C.B.C. radio about a week ago. An amazing man still alive at 105.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

A British man who saved 669 children, most of them Jews, from the Nazis has been awarded the Czech Republic's highest state honour.

Sir Nicholas Winton was 29 when he arranged trains to take the children out of occupied Czechoslovakia and for foster families to meet them in London.

The 105-year-old was given the Order of the White Lion by the Czech president during a ceremony at Prague Castle.

BBC News - Nicholas Winton honoured by Czechs for saving children from Nazis