200-year-old bottle of booze found on shipwreck still drinkable, researchers say

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
200-year-old bottle of booze found on shipwreck still drinkable, researchers say
QMI Agency
First posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:34 AM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:54 AM EDT
A 200-year-old stoneware bottle found on a shipwreck off the coast of Poland contains alcohol that is still drinkable.
The bottle, which had at one time been used to store soda water from the Taunus Mountains in Germany, had been recycled and instead contained a liquid that was 14% alcohol distillate and most likely thinned with water.
The researchers told the website Science and Scholarship in Poland it is likely a kind of gin.
Archaeologist Tomasz Bednarz told the website lab workers have confirmed the alcohol could be consumed today.
"Apparently, however, it does not smell particularly good," Bednarz said.
A team of researchers from the National Maritime Museum in Gdansk, Poland, found the bottle in June. It bears the mark of Selters, a mineral water producer, and the bottle dates back to between 1806 and 1830.
The researchers said the results of more analysis of the liquor are expected next month.
A researcher with the National Maritime Museum in Gdansk, Poland, holds up a 200-year-old bottle that lab results have revealed contains a kind of liquor that is still drinkable today. But while it could be consumed, it apparently does not smell very good. (Photo: National Maritime Museum, Gdansk, Poland/Handout/QMI Agency)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
All I have to do to find 200-year-old bottles or cans of alcohol is just nip to my local Paki shop - and he'll still charge me a bomb.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I see. You "nip down to the shop" not to buy anything, but to curse and harass the Pakistani.

Yep, BNP.

I'm not BNP. I'm Ukip.

By the way, I think this is a good idea to explain to you what the term "Little Englander" originally meant before it got hijacked by the PC Brigade and used to denote anyone who disagrees with them (i.e. the ordinary man on the street).

Historically, the term indicated an anti-imperialist political stance dating from the time of the Second Boer War (1899–1902) and was often applied to the personal ideology of William Gladstone. The term later designated people who were against the British Empire and for "England" to extend no further than the borders of the United Kingdom – for example,Arthur Ponsonby wrote of the Liberal Party leader Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman's reputation for his opposition to the Boer War: "The impression one got of him from the Press in those days was… that he was an unpatriotic Little Englander"

So, in actual fact, it is YOU who is the Little Englander.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Distinction without a difference. No one cares whether you're Orthodox Nazi or Reform Nazi.

There's more difference between BNP and Ukip as there is between the BNP and the Liberal Democrats.

Now run along and stop acting like you're an expert in British politics.