Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
July 3, 1863 at Gettysburg...

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Been seeing new revelations about the Civil War on tv and in online comments. Evidently, the casualty total is now said to be closer to 750,00 rather than the 600,000 it was thought to be. There was also a PBS report on the show 'History Detectives' about the role played by Abraham Lincoln in the destruction of the Sultana. Evidently he arranged to have the half witted quarter master pardoned and it was he who overbooked the vessel which led to its disastrous fire. All those innocent troops (many of whom had been under hellish imprisonment at Andersonville) were killed because of the stupidity and incompetence of those in charge. Nothing was done about it thereafter.

War is hell. Those photos certainly help illustrate that.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
[
Real one, colourized
[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

The gentleman petting the dog is the famous idiot, George Armstrong Custer.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Interesting.

The gentleman petting the dog is the famous idiot, George Armstrong Custer.

Damn Colpy... No doubt Custer screwed up at the Little Big Horn on that day, but up until that day he was far from an idiot. He thumped CSA Gen. Stuart at Gettysburg when the Rebel Cavalry tried to break the Union lines from behind.

Custer gets a bum rap because of Little Big Horn and the series of mistakes he made but he was no idiot.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Damn Colpy... No doubt Custer screwed up at the Little Big Horn on that day, but up until that day he was far from an idiot. He thumped CSA Gen. Stuart at Gettysburg when the Rebel Cavalry tried to break the Union lines from behind.

Custer gets a bum rap because of Little Big Horn and the series of mistakes he made but he was no idiot.

I know what he did at Cedar Creek and, to much greater effect, at Gettysburg. Strange that he may well be the single man most responsible for the defeat of the Confederacy.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
If memory serves me correctly from my past studies of US military history, Armstrong was the youngest man to reach general in army history at age 26. An extraordinary achievement.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I like the hard man in the hat reading the paper giving an almost tommy lee jones 'implied facepalm' over it at the cameradood. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I know what he did at Cedar Creek and, to much greater effect, at Gettysburg. Strange that he may well be the single man most responsible for the defeat of the Confederacy.

I do know what you are trying to say. At the Little Big Horn he made one mistake after another. Little or no reconnaissance, separation of forces not one but two times I believe, and attacking numerically superior foe.