'Native Americans derive from a small number of Asian founders

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
who likely arrived to the Americas via Beringia.'

However, additional details about the intial colonization of the Americas remain unclear. To investigate the pioneering phase in the Americas we analyzed a total of 623 complete mtDNAs from the Americas and Asia, including 20 new complete mtDNAs from the Americas and seven from Asia. This sequence data was used to direct high-resolution genotyping from 20 American and 26 Asian populations. Here we describe more genetic diversity within the founder population than was previously reported. The newly resolved phylogenetic structure suggests that ancestors of Native Americans paused when they reached Beringia, during which time New World founder lineages differentiated from their Asian sister-clades. This pause in movement was followed by a swift migration southward that distributed the founder types all the way to South America. The data also suggest more recent bi-directional gene flow between Siberia and the North American Arctic.

more

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0000829?imageURI=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0000829.g002 …

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It's fascinating to see how man has moved around and mixed and created new cultures. It makes one realize the ridiculousness of groups like the KKK, Neonazis, black seperatists, etc.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's fascinating to see how man has moved around and mixed and created new cultures. It makes one realize the ridiculousness of groups like the KKK, Neonazis, black seperatists, etc.
Evolution has been forever altered by energy. Being able to survive winter without a large mass or being able to survive the heat for a large massed Sapien using AC, abundant food, variety of foods, lighting, mechanized labour and transport are going to change the physiology of humans in a very short time. It's going to be an ugly transition with plenty of mutations.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Man has always been brutal to each other. I was always fascinated with the Ice Man... one of the oldest preserved bodies discovered in the Alps. Years after the discovery they determined he was killed. Shot with an arrow. The Bog people... many of them had their throats slit or heads bashed.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Evolution has been forever altered by energy. Being able to survive winter without a large mass or being able to survive the heat for a large massed Sapien using AC, abundant food, variety of foods, lighting, mechanized labour and transport are going to change the physiology of humans in a very short time. It's going to be an ugly transition with plenty of mutations.

Ugly esthetically or ugly violently?

I wonder how like the humans in Wall-e (Disney / Pixar) we'll become. We work so hard to make things easy for our children...

Man has always been brutal to each other. I was always fascinated with the Ice Man... one of the oldest preserved bodies discovered in the Alps. Years after the discovery they determined he was killed. Shot with an arrow. The Bog people... many of them had their throats slit or heads bashed.

Humans have trust issues. I wonder if we'll ever become as enlightened as we like to believe ourselves to be.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It's all much more complex than most people can imagine

Calico Early Man Site »

We need a time machine. Scientists just have to get on with it and build one.

I wonder how many other people there were that we no nothing about yet. Contemplating the magnitude of man advancement and evolution has my brain spinning in a madly sickening way.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Famous for their wild parties:lol:

Watched a doc where they theorized how the killer crept up on him and did him from behind...(with an arrow).......believe it was from behind...........:roll:

Then some other professor found an old pair of skis, and said theft was the motive...............kidding

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Quebec seperatists don't seem to have grasped this concept. Somehoe they think they sre pure something or other.