100 Years Ago Today, April 20, 1914

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The date April 20, 1914 will forever be a day of infamy for American workers. On that day, 19 innocent men, women and children were killed in the Ludlow Massacre. The coal miners in Colorado and other western states had been trying to join the UMWA for many years. They were bitterly opposed by the coal operators, led by the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company.

Upon striking, the miners and their families had been evicted from their company-owned houses and had set up a tent colony on public property. The massacre occurred in a carefully planned attack on the tent colony by Colorado militiamen, coal company guards, and thugs hired as private detectives and strike breakers. They shot and burned to death 18 striking miners and their families and one company man. Four women and 11 small children died holding each other under burning tents. Later investigations revealed that kerosine had intentionally been poured on the tents to set them ablaze. The miners had dug foxholes in the tents so the women and children could avoid the bullets that randomly were shot through the tent colony by company thugs. The women and children were found huddled together at the bottoms of their tents.

The Baldwin Felts Detective Agency had been brought in to suppress the Colorado miners. They brought with them an armored car mounted with a machine gun—the Death Special— that roamed the area spraying bullets. The day of the massacre, the miners were celebrating Greek Easter. At 10:00 AM the militia ringed the camp and began firing into the tents upon a signal from the commander, Lt. Karl E. Lindenfelter. Not one of the perpetrators of the slaughter were ever punished, but scores of miners and their leaders were arrested and black-balled from the coal industry.

A monument erected by the UMWA stands today in Ludlow, Colorado in remembrance of the brave and innocent souls who died for freedom and human dignity.

"The tragic lessons from Ludlow still echo throughout our nation, and they must never be forgotten by Americans who truly care about workplace fairness and equality," Roberts said. "With this designation, the story of what happened at Ludlow will remain part of our nation's history. That is as it should be."

The Ludlow Massacre | United Mine Workers of America

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The date April 20, 1914 will forever be a day of infamy for American workers. On that day, 19 innocent men, women and children were killed in the Ludlow Massacre. The coal miners in Colorado and other western states had been trying to join the UMWA for many years. They were bitterly opposed by the coal operators, led by the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company.

Upon striking, the miners and their families had been evicted from their company-owned houses and had set up a tent colony on public property. The massacre occurred in a carefully planned attack on the tent colony by Colorado militiamen, coal company guards, and thugs hired as private detectives and strike breakers. They shot and burned to death 18 striking miners and their families and one company man. Four women and 11 small children died holding each other under burning tents. Later investigations revealed that kerosine had intentionally been poured on the tents to set them ablaze. The miners had dug foxholes in the tents so the women and children could avoid the bullets that randomly were shot through the tent colony by company thugs. The women and children were found huddled together at the bottoms of their tents.

The Baldwin Felts Detective Agency had been brought in to suppress the Colorado miners. They brought with them an armored car mounted with a machine gun—the Death Special— that roamed the area spraying bullets. The day of the massacre, the miners were celebrating Greek Easter. At 10:00 AM the militia ringed the camp and began firing into the tents upon a signal from the commander, Lt. Karl E. Lindenfelter. Not one of the perpetrators of the slaughter were ever punished, but scores of miners and their leaders were arrested and black-balled from the coal industry.

A monument erected by the UMWA stands today in Ludlow, Colorado in remembrance of the brave and innocent souls who died for freedom and human dignity.

"The tragic lessons from Ludlow still echo throughout our nation, and they must never be forgotten by Americans who truly care about workplace fairness and equality," Roberts said. "With this designation, the story of what happened at Ludlow will remain part of our nation's history. That is as it should be."

The Ludlow Massacre | United Mine Workers of America

Sheesh, as if we don't have enough grief and misery in the present (as people in Calgary are well aware of this week) without having to drag up sh*t from 100 years past, especially as we have no way of rectifying it. Let's concentrate on something positive. Sh*t will find us without us having to look for it!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Sheesh, as if we don't have enough grief and misery in the present (as people in Calgary are well aware of this week) without having to drag up sh*t from 100 years past, especially as we have no way of rectifying it. Let's concentrate on something positive. Sh*t will find us without us having to look for it!

Not remembering the past, ensures that we will repeat it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
See? It's all the unions' fault! If those miners had just trusted in the compassion and good business sense of the mine owners, they would have been well taken care of.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
See? It's all the unions' fault! If those miners had just trusted in the compassion and good business sense of the mine owners, they would have been well taken care of.

As a guy that has been both a union member and company security during union troubles, I have to say that many unions have outlived their usefulness, and have simply become protection rackets for overpaid lazy incompetent "workers".........and absolutely incapable of protecting those workers that really need union protection.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As a guy that has been both a union member and company security during union troubles, I have to say that many unions have outlived their usefulness, and have simply become protection rackets for overpaid lazy incompetent "workers".........and absolutely incapable of protecting those workers that really need union protection.

I hear you Colpy to some degree, but I think Unions still have a valid purpose and that is to identify safety issues and ensure they are addressed by management. People are still getting injured or killed because greedy owners value the bottom line over the workers' health and well being.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
As a guy that has been both a union member and a company lawyer, I can say the same of many companies. Protection rackets for overpaid lazy incompetent "managers". . . . and absolutely incapable of protecting their investors.

Better give 'em taxpayer money.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I hear you Colpy to some degree, but I think Unions still have a valid purpose and that is to identify safety issues and ensure they are addressed by management. People are still getting injured or killed because greedy owners value the bottom line over the workers' health and well being.

Absolutely true about the risk to workers....but this is an area in which gov't legislation has long since replaced the union as protector of the worker.

By law you can refuse dangerous work, inform your superior, who must either mitigate the problem, or contact the on-call gov't safety man to ajudicate any dispute......

Every business must have a Joint Health and Safety Committee, with trained management and labour reps from every area of operations. They must meet once a month, careful minutes must be kept, and monthly minutes must be publically posted.

I have been a member of these committees for years, in two different companies.

If anything, the current obsession with safety sometimes negatively affects production in a very significant manner .

How about a rule that everyone must be tied off if they are higher than 2 meters........when the harness has a 6 foot lanyard??

Seriously.

Or construction workers not allowed to have knives, because one cut himself once.

Seriously.

Or guys working in the hot sun required to wear full coveralls, long sleeves, gloves, safety goggles, steel toed boots, and a hard hat..........in the open.

All things I have seen personally.

As a guy that has been both a union member and a company lawyer, I can say the same of many companies. Protection rackets for overpaid lazy incompetent "managers". . . . and absolutely incapable of protecting their investors.

Better give 'em taxpayer money.

Oh yeah, I will never disagree with that.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Wow, horrendous. There certainly is no end to the depths of cruelty man will put his fellow man through. There are some tremendous examples out there. I don`t know whether I should be surprised that I`m still surprised with some of stories.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Absolutely true about the risk to workers....but this is an area in which gov't legislation has long since replaced the union as protector of the worker.

By law you can refuse dangerous work, inform your superior, who must either mitigate the problem, or contact the on-call gov't safety man to ajudicate any dispute......

Every business must have a Joint Health and Safety Committee, with trained management and labour reps from every area of operations. They must meet once a month, careful minutes must be kept, and monthly minutes must be publically posted.

I have been a member of these committees for years, in two different companies.

If anything, the current obsession with safety sometimes negatively affects production in a very significant manner .

How about a rule that everyone must be tied off if they are higher than 2 meters........when the harness has a 6 foot lanyard??

Seriously.

Or construction workers not allowed to have knives, because one cut himself once.

Seriously.

Or guys working in the hot sun required to wear full coveralls, long sleeves, gloves, safety goggles, steel toed boots, and a hard hat..........in the open.

Oh yeah, I will never disagree with that.
Safety is so f-ckining useless why bother following what WCB lays out as conditions.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
April 20, 1889

April 20, 1999 may have more meaning for most of us alive today! -:)

Safety is so f-ckining useless why bother following what WCB lays out as conditions.

Actually, Petros, there's a little bit of truth in what you say and some of the guys making safety rules don't know sheep sh*t from dates. Years ago we had a 3 mile survey job on the north end of Vancouver Island through salal 8'- 12' high and there is only one practical tool to deal with salal and that is a sharp machete, but you have to know what you are doing to use one safely in those conditions. We borrowed a crew from another branch because we were short of men, but they weren't used to working more than 3' from the sidewalk and they were absolutely forbidden to use machetes. I told them, well if you can't use machetes, there's no work for you here. The rules got fairly quickly changed and they caught on fairly fast.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Seriously.

Seriously.

And did you do anything about the silly rules, or did you just get on the internet and bitch about "regulation?"

Hey, what's a few dead miners? There's MONEY to be made!

Your procedure seems very nice, all happy and cut and dried and efficient. Until a worker complains about safety, and is told to go back to work or get fired. Then he gets fired. Then blacklisted. And somebody like me drags out the government review procedure until the fired ex-worker loses his house and burns through his life savings. That's why I quit doing that kind of work.