The Top 10 Atrocities of All Time

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The Worst Atrocities

Are you surprised there's a researcher who considers himself an "atrocitologist"? His name is Matthew White, and he's made a list of the 21 worst things people have done to each other. (There are 21 because of a tie for 20th place. I don't mean to be flip about it.)

White plays an important part in the early sections of Steven Pinker's The Better Angels of Our Nature. Because White has documented and quantified atrocities through the ages, he helps Pinker prove his point that historical myopia is responsible for the common belief that the 20th century was the most violent of all, and that things are going to hell in a hand basket.

Another name for this historical myopia is the availability heuristic, as described by psychologists Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky. Basically, if you can think of it, it must be important. In terms of violence, Pinker says, "When we are judging the density of killing in different countries, anyone who doesn't consult the numbers is apt to overweight the conflicts that are most recent, most studied, or most sermonized."

To demonstrate, Pinker asked 100 interweb users to list as many wars as they could remember in five minutes. I tried it myself, and asked my family to do it also. Not surprisingly, he (and I) found the resulting lists weighted to world wars, U.S. wars, and 20th century wars. "Though the earlier centuries had far more wars, people remembered more wars from the recent centuries" (p. 194).

Page 195 of Angels contains White's table of death tolls from atrocities. In absolute numbers, 7 of the 21 are from the 20th century. But scaled for world population at the time of the atrocity (in essence, putting it at a rate per 100,000), only one atrocity from the 20th century makes the top 10 (World War II, coming in at number 9).

World War II killed the most people in absolute numbers, to be sure (55 million). But scaled for world population, the worst atrocity killed eight times as many and the second worst killed more than five times as many. I'm chagrined to admit I had never heard of the worst atrocity. These numbers are adjusted to equate with population in the 20th century:

1. An Lushan Revolt, 8th century
429 million (absolute number: 36 million)

2. Mongol Conquests, 13th century
278 million (absolute number: 40 million)

3. Mideast Slave Trade, 7th-19th century
132 million (absolute number: 19 million)

4. Fall of the Ming Dynasty, 17th century
112 million (absolute number: 25 million)

5. Fall of Rome, 3rd-5th century
105 million (absolute number: 8 million)

6. Tamerlane, 14th-15th century
100 million (absolute number: 17 million)

7. Annihilation of American Indians, 15th-19th century
92 million (absolute number: 20 million)

8. Atlantic Slave Trade, 15th-19th century
83 million (absolute number: 18 million)

9. World War II, 20th century
55 million (absolute number: 36 million)

10. Taiping Revolution, 19th century
40 million (absolute number: 20 million)

Stalin comes in 15th with 20 million, and World War I at 16th with 15 million.

It's an odd thing, ranking actions that resulted in millions of deaths. I don't think Matthew White or Steven Pinker mean to make light of it in any way. But they are interested in quantifying historical inhumanity so that we can be prepared with the best information when we make pronouncements about what's happening today.

Daughter Number Three: The Worst Atrocities

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I suppose this atrosity expert, in a period of extreme global violence, has seen a publishing niche for a feel good story book. He might have titled it, Don't Worry It's Less Violent Today by world famous atrocity scientist Dr Egghead

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I happen to know that reliable numbers do not exist for the last century and that in every other period both inflation and deflation of those numbers was common exactly for the same reason it is today, to fit political agendas. So I'm saying I don't believe a word of it.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So you don't think he could come up with a reasonable estimate?

What, you think someone would publish something of such significance and just fudge numbers without fact checking based on the best data we have?

The day after he sells his book and realizes, oh ****, I should have accounted for such a completely obvious gaffe. Lol

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Not for those time periods no. How many books has global warming and climate change sold on so called "reasonable estimates"?
If Oprah was still around he'd do the show circuit and the radio interviews for a couple of years and laugh everyday. I think we would all like to be able to believe that times are gentler now than they've ever been in the past but the notion defies logic and common sense. Progress in mass murder and warfare has outpaced just about every other human endeavour and I refuse to believe it isn't more efficiently done now than ever in fact we're assured that it is regularly and we have the costs to support that idea.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Oh put your silly graphs away. It's too late, the Darkness that is Beaver has struck you down.

Struck me down with what? Rhetoric?

Look, we have reliable estimates on population for the periods listed in the OP and neither you nor the beave have shown otherwise.

I don't even know why this is such a big deal for you guys anyway. It's a pretty obvious fact to most people that we are more civilized and peaceful now than we've ever been.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Struck me down with what? Rhetoric?

Look, we have reliable estimates on population for the periods listed in the OP and neither you nor the beave have shown otherwise.

I don't even know why this is such a big deal for you guys anyway. It's a pretty obvious fact to most people that we are more civilized and peaceful now than we've ever been.

Lighten up Mentalfloss.