Do you believe in a source of all that exists?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I use to be Christian. I still like parts of the religion like the Sermon on the mount. But I've come to a point in my life where I do not believe in the Abrahamic god. Still, when I look at pictures of the universe with all the brilliant lights and colors, and activity, I can't help but think that there is something much more complex than we could possibly comprehend. But is that "something" too big to be concerned with each individual on this little speck of a planet? Such as Spinozas god. What type of beliefs existed before the so called axial age and the beginning of the Abrahamic religions? Personally I believe there is something. Beyond that feeling, I simply cannot know or affirm. Is it a god, or gods, or entities from a different realm? I don't know. Maybe in the future when we evolve to a certain degree of growth and maturity, we'll be allowed to understand more, little by little.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
If something were capable of all that we see before us, I can't imagine it would care about us on an individual basis.

We might be observed but that'd be about it.

There is so much going on in our universe and if you want to include the multiverse, then it would make it even bigger.

Man seems bent on expecting that individual lives matter to something greater then themselves, but I believe that is just fear.

No man is an island.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Darwin struggled with those very thoughts his whole life. Some people call him the "Great Atheist" but the reality is, Darwin was an agnostic right up until his death.
He'd look at the reproductive cycle of certain insects that implant their eggs in a living host who would be eaten from the inside out once the eggs hatched, and wonder what kind of god would create such a horrifying reproductive cycle.
And then later that night, be staring up at the heavens, enjoying its wondrous beauty and wondering how something like that could exist without some sort of creator.

But we all also all know that the concept of "gods" came about so the average human thousands of years ago had an explanation for events that were inexplicable to them. That belief/superstition is a strong one and has been with us ever since in one form or another. Even with the advent of true science it didn't go away.

No man is an island.
Until he farts.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Evolve is one thing. Wisdom is completely different ... and seems to be stuck in reverse.

STuck in reverse or do you think we've just given ourselves so much to do, that there is no time to sit and contemplate?

Even 50 yrs ago, people didn't have as much to do and look after as we do now. Between the home computers, the lap tops, the smart phones, smart tv's, tablets, light bulbs you program from an app, to getting your coffee just the way you want it, collecting the points so you can save money on the next thing that will require your time, etc etc etc. We no longer sit without being entertained by some external stimulation.

I think we are evolving into busy busy creatures with very little time for contemplation.

Can you ever stop wailing on here?

I enjoy reading his posts. I don't think it's wailing.

You could always NOT read them if you feel the way you say you do, then you wouldn't have to wail against them... ;)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Some are very busy ... thinking up new ways to dominate and fleece they who can't be bothered with thinking

yep. I think the invention of sin was the most brilliant of business schemes. You can charge what ever you want and there is no way for anyone to prove them wrong and collect a refund. Brilliant.

Look at Joel Olsteen. Lives an extravagant life all on the dime of those who are afraid that death might be the end and that life is hard for no reason other then it is hard.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
STuck in reverse or do you think we've just given ourselves so much to do, that there is no time to sit and contemplate?

Even 50 yrs ago, people didn't have as much to do and look after as we do now. Between the home computers, the lap tops, the smart phones, smart tv's, tablets, light bulbs you program from an app, to getting your coffee just the way you want it, collecting the points so you can save money on the next thing that will require your time, etc etc etc. We no longer sit without being entertained by some external stimulation.

I think we are evolving into busy busy creatures with very little time for contemplation.

I enjoy reading his posts. I don't think it's wailing.

You could always NOT read them if you feel the way you say you do, then you wouldn't have to wail against them... ;)
Eaglecrack is a broken record. If I posted a thread on a good lasagna recipe he'd say I was whining. I think his neuro transmitters must have some sort of glitch. Or, maybe he is simply retarded. :).

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Eaglecrack is a broken record. If I posted a thread on a good lasagna recipe he'd say I was whining. I think his neuro transmitters must have some sort of glitch. Or, maybe he is simply retarded. :).

I think it's machismo.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

More whining

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
yep. I think the invention of sin was the most brilliant of business schemes. You can charge what ever you want and there is no way for anyone to prove them wrong and collect a refund. Brilliant.

Look at Joel Olsteen. Lives an extravagant life all on the dime of those who are afraid that death might be the end and that life is hard for no reason other then it is hard.
People like Osteen depend on guilt and fear to make their fortunes. I believe Jesus taught just the opposite. But his teachings were bastardized by those who came after him.

More whining
more stupidity

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
lol
maybe those are the ones that are here before him
Go, god, goth, dog, an' all

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Evolve is one thing. Wisdom is completely different ... and seems to be stuck in reverse.
Take your eyes off the right wing religious nut cases. There are two things going on at all times; Yin/Yang. The Universe is always seeking balance. For every one who lowers his IQ to that of a knuckle dragger, one other raises above it all. There is no god separate from everything in the Universe. The Universe created itself and we are made of the same stuff as the Universe.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
People like Osteen depend on guilt and fear to make their fortunes. I believe Jesus taught just the opposite. But his teachings were bastardized by those who came after him.

I don't see how his "flock" can't see what's going on. He must be very careful which things he gives sermons on...