Do you believe in a source of all that exists?


Tecumsehsbones
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Do you believe in a source of all that exists?

How about a singularity, fourteen billion years back?

All praise and worship to the Holy Black Hole!
 
Twila
+1
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

All praise and worship to the Holy Black Hole!

Black holes are racist.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvHu2rluUb8ck

 
Ludlow
+1
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Yes, I think you're right. I've read several times from believers "if you don't believe in a god, then what have you to live for?" I guess is gives some a reason to continue on.



Humans are so smart and yet...

I once listened to an interview on 60 minutes with the statesman William Sloan Coffin. The interviewer Mike Wallace asked Mr. Coffin, " if there is a just and merciful god, then why does "He" allow all the suffering and injustice in the world.? Coffin paused , and then said, god may ask all of us, "why do you allow it?"
 
Tecumsehsbones
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

I once listened to an interview on 60 minutes with the statesman William Sloan Coffin. The interviewer Mike Wallace asked Mr. Coffin, " if there is a just and merciful god, then why does "He" allow all the suffering and injustice in the world.? Coffin paused , and then said, god may ask all of us, "why do you allow it?"

You do realize that's not an answer, right?
 
Ludlow
+1
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

You do realize that's not an answer, right?

Yes......

It was a good point though.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Yes......

I don't know who William Slow Coughin' is, but he's dishonest.
 
Ludlow
+1
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I don't know who William Slow Coughin' is, but he's dishonest.

Well he's dead now.

Why is he dishonest though? Are we as humans not responsible for much of the way things are?
 
Tecumsehsbones
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Well he's dead now.

Probably cured that slow cough.

Quote:

Why is he dishonest though? Are we as humans not responsible for much of the way things are?

Because he agreed to an interview, then decided to be cutesy instead of answering the question.

"De Almighty says to quit changin' de subject and answer de fockin' question."
--Stephen, Braveheart
 
Jinentonix
+2
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Yes, I think you're right. I've read several times from believers "if you don't believe in a god, then what have you to live for?"

I tell them I live for my family and for myself.

Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Yes......

It was a good point though.

I like Futurama's take on it. IF you do too much, people get dependent on you. If you don't do enough people lose faith in you. But if you do everything just right, nobody will know you did anything at all.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

I tell them I live for my family and for myself.



I like Futurama's take on it. IF you do too much, people get dependent on you. If you don't do enough people lose faith in you. But if you do everything just right, nobody will know you did anything at all.

"Everyone needs something to believe, and I believe I'll have another drink."

--W.C. Fields

Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Yes......

It was a good point though.

No it wasn't. It was an evasion.
 
Ludlow
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

"Everyone needs something to believe, and I believe I'll have another drink."

--W.C. Fields


No it wasn't. It was an evasion.

I don't think so. We blame an entity for everything bad in the world, yet we take no responsibility ourselves. Would you have liked it better if he had said I don't know? I suppose that would have been an honest reply to the question. No one knows the answer to the question. He "was" being honest though. He was putting the responsibilty where it belonged.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

I don't think so. We blame an entity for everything bad in the world, yet we take no responsibility ourselves. Would you have liked it better if he had said I don't know? I suppose that would have been an honest reply to the question.

Now you're getting it. He changed the subject to avoid answering the question.

Quote:

No one knows the answer to the question. He "was" being honest though.

For values of honest = changing the subject to avoid answering the question.

Quote:

He was putting the responsibilty where it belonged.

Not according to the bible.
 
Ludlow
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Now you're getting it. He changed the subject to avoid answering the question.


For values of honest = changing the subject to avoid answering the question.


Not according to the bible.

The bible is a collection of books written by men. You can appeal to that as an authority. I don't.
 
Cliffy
#44
People would rather buy into a lie than face the truth. The US has lied about the reason for getting into every war they have entered. People bought into it because they are too lazy to think for themselves. That makes everybody who supported every war complicit in the crimes against humanity. Those who didn't support the slaughter were marginalized, labeled unpatriotic, subversives and radicals.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

The bible is a collection of books written by men. You can appeal to that as an authority. I don't.

I don't appeal to William Slow Coughin' as an authority either.

Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

People would rather buy into a lie than face the truth. The US has lied about the reason for getting into every war they have entered. People bought into it because they are too lazy to think for themselves. That makes everybody who supported every war complicit in the crimes against humanity. Those who didn't support the slaughter were marginalized, labeled unpatriotic, subversives and radicals.

Well, that was about as profound and wise as a fourteen-year-old girl's poem about unicorns.
 
Corduroy
#46
There are things about the universe that we will never understand. I would think that in order to truly understand the all-powerful we would need to be all-powerful. In science or spirituality, there will always be things beyond our comprehension. Some religions believe that the gods themselves are trapped the same cycles of ignorance, death, happiness and suffering.

Personally, I like to think it's a lot like the relationship between me and my cat. As a human, I'm more intelligent than my cat. I understand the way the universe works better than she can. I have a certain power over her, I can manipulate her but I can't control her. Sometimes I observe her and wonder what the hell is going through her mind. I'll never understand how she thinks or how she sees the world. And while she's figured out some of my behaviour, she won't fully understand me. I assume from my perspective as a human, her interpretation of the world is less sophisticated than mine, but I still don't understand it either.

In a way, if there is some higher power or some more sophisticated intelligence, our understandings of the universe are like Venn diagrams. There is some overlap in our knowledge and some things beyond our capacity.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#47
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

There are things about the universe that we will never understand. I would think that in order to truly understand the all-powerful we would need to be all-powerful.

We'd also have to accept that an "all-powerful" exists, against all available evidence.

Quote:

Personally, I like to think it's a lot like the relationship between me and my cat. As a human, I'm more intelligent than my cat.

Sure about that? I'm pretty convinced Jake the Crow's way ahead of me.

Quote:

In a way, if there is some higher power or some more sophisticated intelligence, our understandings of the universe are like Venn diagrams. There is some overlap in our knowledge and some things beyond our capacity.

Wha. . .? I fell asleep when you said "Venn diagrams."
 
Corduroy
+1
#48
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

We'd also have to accept that an "all-powerful" exists, against all available evidence.

We don't need to accept that it exists to accept that knowledge of it might be incomprehensible.

Quote:

Sure about that? I'm pretty convinced Jake the Crow's way ahead of me.

Cats might very well be at a higher point of enlightenment than humans. She seems to have a pretty sweet deal in life. I think Eckart Tolle said he has known several zen masters, all of them cats.

Quote:

Wha. . .? I fell asleep when you said "Venn diagrams."



As a Canadian, I wasn't aware that the IRS were known for wearing earrings.
 
Danbones
#49
they are actually called rearrings

helps keeps em chained to a desk
 
EagleSmack
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

People would rather buy into a lie than face the truth. The US has lied about the reason for getting into every war they have entered. People bought into it because they are too lazy to think for themselves. That makes everybody who supported every war complicit in the crimes against humanity. Those who didn't support the slaughter were marginalized, labeled unpatriotic, subversives and radicals.


 
Twila
+1
#51
Cats are masters of zen.

Crows are smarter than humans.

I can't believe anything greater then humans gives a rats *** what we do on this planet, what we do as individuals or what even happens in our milky way.

Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

would you really expect brittany to understand anything? can she even read?
 
Nick Danger
+1
#52
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

I once listened to an interview on 60 minutes with the statesman William Sloan Coffin. The interviewer Mike Wallace asked Mr. Coffin, " if there is a just and merciful god, then why does "He" allow all the suffering and injustice in the world.? Coffin paused , and then said, god may ask all of us, "why do you allow it?"

As thought provoking as that premise may be, it does make the assumption that "God" is a conscious, thinking entity that actually cares about what we do as individuals. The idea of God as the "benevolent dictator" pushing the buttons of all our lives doesn't hold much water these days, at least for thinking people. The idea that the may be some as-yet-undiscovered unifying force that binds the universe and all its workings together is a bit more probable in my mind. Whatever form "God" might take, to model it after ourselves is more than a little arrogant.
 

Similar Threads

0
Veda Says Unimaginable God Exists
by dattaswami | Feb 3rd, 2009
13
no new posts