Religion is like a boat

Cliffy
+1 / -1

I don't think religions are a problem. However I do think the guilt, and fear transmitted through certain teachings is an unnecessary burden for people and directly opposite to the deeper teachings each religion offers. Guilt, fear, and the inevitable exclusion of others in other faiths, is not my idea of sunlight or heartlight. If one has explored their faith on deeper levels, of course religion takes on a whole different meaning. But even here as the often quoted teaching goes, "There are many worthy boats to cross the river with, but once you cross the river you have to leave the boat behind." - Chris Waller

darkbeaver
I can help the hesitant pigrajms, just srtand over there and I ill blow you into heaven, settle down we have a tech prob, OK it's solved you mght like to grip your surroindings. see you on the positive side,

If it wasn't for PAYpal I would alreay haVE OVERRUJMOST OF eUROPE

personal touch
+1
Forget the boat,take a high end cruise.
It's all in your head!

Cliffy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by personal touchView Post

Forget the boat,take a high end cruise.
It's all in your head!

Of course, in the holographic Universe, everything is a projection of your thoughts.

Cliffy
Oh My! Wally seems to have missed the boat.

Angstrom
Religions can be useful to bend reality, and the way we react. Other then a brainwashing tool it's mostly unproven horse ****.

It can help shape you into a more successful person, if you use the positive attitude altering beliefs.

I like the native idea we chose our parents before birth. Can't really blame them that way forces you to own your life.

Instead of laying the blame for your failures on others.

I'd say, religion is like a psychological tool.

Gives you the ability to look at things from different perspectives. By exploring diffrent possibility of reality, and how that changes things, and how we perceive them.

But I'm not even sure you really need to truly believe in them to reap the benefits.

I just imagine they all may be possibilities.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Gives you the ability to look at things from different perspectives. By exploring diffrent possibility of reality, and how that changes things, and how we perceive them.

But I'm not even sure you really need to truly believe in them to reap the benefits.

Drugs will do the same thing. Like Marks said, "religion is the opiate of the masses".

petros
+1
Is that why you use drugs? To fill a void?

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Oh My! Wally seems to have missed the boat.

You're too daft to know.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvyyYhZ9HH8cI

Dexter Sinister
+3 / -1
Religion is the delusion of the masses, there's no compelling reason to believe any of its claims are true. There is nothing even close to a consensus about faith claims. Evidence and logic can at least offer compelling reasons for believing some claim is true; religion cannot, and in fact prides itself on being unable to, as if believing something without evidence were a virtue. It's not.

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Religion is the delusion of the masses, there's no compelling reason to believe any of its claims are true. There is nothing even close to a consensus about faith claims. Evidence and logic can at least offer compelling reasons for believing some claim is true; religion cannot, and in fact prides itself on being unable to, as if believing something without evidence were a virtue. It's not.

It's called faith for a reason.

Angstrom
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Drugs will do the same thing. Like Marks said, "religion is the opiate of the masses".

Causes war as a side effect.

Bad trip.

Cliffy

Causes war as a side effect.

Bad trip.

That would be alcohol and cocaine.

taxslave

Religions can be useful to bend reality, and the way we react. Other then a brainwashing tool it's mostly unproven horse ****.

It can help shape you into a more successful person, if you use the positive attitude altering beliefs.

I like the native idea we chose our parents before birth. Can't really blame them that way forces you to own your life.

Instead of laying the blame for your failures on others.

I'd say, religion is like a psychological tool.

Well we know that one is sh!t or I would have been born rich.

DaSleeper
+4
#15  Top Rated Post

captain morgan
+2

Religion is the delusion of the masses, there's no compelling reason to believe any of its claims are true. There is nothing even close to a consensus about faith claims.

You are in the minority on this one in a big way.

Evidence and logic can at least offer compelling reasons for believing some claim is true; religion cannot, and in fact prides itself on being unable to, as if believing something without evidence were a virtue. It's not.

You have just described global warming/climate change... The virtuosity of the science behind this scam also prides itself in having no evidence as a virtue.

Interestingly enough, many describe this science as a cult

petros
+2
Why not have faith?

The benefits are overwhelming.

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

You are in the minority on this one in a big way.

You have just described global warming/climate change... The virtuosity of the science behind this scam also prides itself in having no evidence as a virtue.

Interestingly enough, many describe this science as a cult

Evidence of the benefits of faith abound. Science calls it placebo and uses faith as a treatment every day.

Faith causes physical change on the cellular level.

Can atheism do that?

captain morgan
Atheism can't really do much of anything.

it always makes me wonder why this group expends so much effort to convince the majority to adopt their ideology.

petros
It's fact that faith can change us at the cellular level. A hard fact for atheists to swallow.

selfsame
The atheist may believe following his death, when he will see the spirit world or the afterlife.
But then his belief will not avail him anything.

In fact he will believe just before death when he is in the deathbed and will then see the angels of death and the spirits.

At that time, the Arabic parable will be applicable: The ax is in the head. Is there any similar parable in English?

These are only your assertions. Who said: no evidence. The evidences are there but you deny and insist on your denial.
This is in the first bases of God's religion.

Angstrom
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Well we know that one is sh!t or I would have been born rich.

Ya well, we all do and have to draw straws

lone wolf
+2
Religion is a great thing if it's a comfort. When it's a battering ram, it's no better than any weapon of mass destruction

darkbeaver
re-legio, binding back, the original bond between you and your inner indestructable non material stuff, a spark of the one, a chip off the old block, we can and will shjt on religion all we want untill we run into it's origins, then it's quite a different subject all together, you are not the meaty container, you are the contained. this I know cus the bible tells me so, EIEIO

JLM
Yep, you poke a hole in it, it sinks!

damngrumpy
+1 / -2
There was a time when religion was a spiritual journey now religion is about politics
spiritual part is gone its about judgement its about the money and the mind power and
the individual is a commodity not a person religion is going to hell in a handbasket

darkbeaver
Religion is a dirty word these days but it was not made so by the truely religious.

Curious Cdn
+1
Religion is like a boat

Paddle your own canoe.

Dexter Sinister
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

It's called faith for a reason.

Yes, but that explains nothing and justifies nothing. The reason is simply because in this context that's what the word means, belief without evidence. It's just the word for that particular state of mind.

MHz
+1
Faith without proof is what the doubting Thomas story was all about. If the book makes a believer out of you then that is taken into account should you enter the grave before proof of God is available, should a person be inclined to look for s8uch things as being the answer for some 'current events' that the two witnesses can 'perform' for the very reason of showing proof before judgment comes.

The scattering took place in 70AD and that was the start of the time of the Gentiles. Re:11 starts off last 3 1/2 years of that era before the 7th trump sounds and Christ arrives. In those days the two witnesses are said to have powers like Moses had only it lasts the 1260 days they are in Jerusalem.

Nor is it called blind faith if you can point to a specific reference, such as the one below that says if you miss out you only have yourself to thank. Reading doesn't have a time limit or demand you understand the whole story the first time you read the book. If He is smart and we are stupid He would have one shot at writing a perfect guide. Being stupid and imperfect we have to read and contemplate a lot before we understand what the book is about. Once you know that part then you can make a faith decision. If you don't get that far you are still considered to be a 'follower' and they mysteries are removed rather than you don't qualify as a 'believer'. To miss out you would have to have a negative relationship with God that fit one of the 7 Churches. To be a child of the light you have to understand the prophecies as they point to 'way points' of events that must happen first.

That's why God left a book that is 'complicated' even today. Should the people start looking at it as if it was written to this generation in a way that makes us 'slow on the uptake' and the singular writer taking a style that a father uses with a 3 year old that is stubborn and slow and you have a version that fits the text of the book. He does give you the info but you still have to sort through it at your own speed. That is when you can decide if you have faith in the book or not.
Today the Clergy are there to sow disinformation rather than remove any confusion the text causes. That being said it is a subject that could wait until a person is about 30 and then the learning curve is as tight as it gets.

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Religion is like a boat

Paddle your own canoe.

Smooth sailing?

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Yep, you poke a hole in it, it sinks!

That is assuming there is no patch for the 'hole'. The return is the most talked about event in the Bible so there is lots of material to 'question' and then you can decide how many holes there are. Apparent contradiction are not like actual contradictions with no solution available.

Dexter Sinister
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by selfsameView Post

Who said: no evidence. The evidences are there..

I said it, and so have a lot of other people whose judgment I respect. What is the evidence? You've been trying to lay it out for us here for years as at least two different users, and it's so compelling that you've convinced everybody that you're right. Right?

Wrong, your evidence and arguments have convinced exactly nobody. And you're not the only one trying it, not even the only Muslim who's tried it, and there are of course a lot of Christian believers here trying it too. There is no compelling evidence. If there were, there'd be a clear consensus on matters of religion, and there isn't. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam can't even get a consensus within themselves, they're all splintered into multiple sects with varying degrees of mutual antagonism. And then there are the thousands of other religions outside the Abrahamic tradition, all of them mutually inconsistent and incompatible. At best only one of them can be right, but it seems overwhelmingly more likely to me that none of them are, and that putting your trust in faith that your particular one is right is a bad idea.