Religion is like a boat

Cliffy
#121
A rational, secular, historical perspective on the history of Christianity and its scripture


The reality is that it is all true to an extent, and equally nonsensical at the same time. The Bible has meaning to all its readers, but it is important to consider that the meaning it has is informed by the prejudices the reader brings to it.

To really understand the Bible and what it intends to say to present generations, it is necessary to understand who wrote it and why, and the cultural context in which it was written. The story is an interesting one, in no small part because the story is so much messier than most of its advocates would have you to believe. And its very messiness is why it is a story rarely told in any completeness to Christian audiences.
The overriding theme of the Bible storylines is the theme of cultural conquest. Conquest by the Hebrews over their enemy neighbors, culturally by the Jews over the Israelites (used here to mean members of the ten "lost" tribes), the Christians over the Jews, the Catholics over the Gnostics, Marcionites, and other pre-Catholic factions, and on and on. In some cases, the conquest is recorded as a historical, often military event. In others, it merely is recorded as a change in content and context, an alteration of the storyline and outlook and worldview.
And the story of the editing and translation of the final form of the Bible into what today is regarded as holy scripture is a story not just of cultural conquest, but of political intrigues, and not just between competing bishops, but with secular political authority itself. It is as if the U.S. congress or president were to decide what constituted Christian doctrine and scripture, and everyone went along - at the peril of their lives - until no one even questioned the accuracy of the official viewpoint.
The effect of its origins as selected parts of whole bodies of scripture, written by at least a hundred and fifty different people in dozens of different places at different times, many centuries apart, and for different reasons, colors what its authors wrote. Yet that simple fact is widely ignored, both by people who naively follow what they read in it as the inerrant word of God, and by more liberal scholastic theologians, who seek to understand its historical context as well as a body of doctrinal scripture, which they often blindly follow, even though they know full well its messy origins.

MORE: The Bible And Christianity -- The Historical Origins (external - login to view)
 
Ludlow
+1
#122
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Except you seem to be having trouble coming up with any specifics because when you do try to form a 'rebuttal' it is quite clear that your version is the one that is sloppy in form a void of any 'thinking' that would help people understand the large volume of text that is known as the Bible. If your version was correct I would shy away from posting on any topic, as it is I can spot your flaws and offer a 'solution'. You and 'the others' can't do either yet I am supposed to view you as the expert. You can see that isn't about to happen anytime soon and if the quality of your replies doesn't improve that will only confirm that you are clueless about the subject and your posts are meant to shut down debate rather than promote it like it should.

More than once I have 10 post in the top 10 positions and all are on topic and follow the rules of science or is consistent with the way society can work when it is used as a control device used to keep people in the dark compared to enlightening them to the 'real facts'.

When you are 'studying me' why is it you that is always the most confused? No examination of you is need as your replies show quite clearly that you hang on other people's coat-tails.

taketh the pilleths. Amen.
 
MHz
+1
#123
Your Catch 22 thread kind of killed that retort for you, better come up with a new one. lol
 
personal touch
#124
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Your Catch 22 thread kind of killed that retort for you, better come up with a new one. lol

How did you gather all this knowledge?
Education?self taught?
You are very interesting, keep on writing.
 
Cliffy
+1
#125
 
darkbeaver
#126
Religion has a meaning, in essence it require a binding back to the origin, you will all remember the power of home if you just surrender to your feelings, forget your rational self, it'/s just thier to test you

Mark Twain was a smartass.
 
Dexter Sinister
#127
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Obviously I am observant and intelligent.

Yes you are, that IS obvious and I've said so before, nobody could be as articulate as you are otherwise, but that isn't enough by itself. It doesn't mean you must be right. My point from the beginning has always been that, having read several versions of the Bible and exegetical works about it by people with legitimate scholarly qualifications in the field, notably Dr. Bart Ehrman and Tom Harpur, and having a university education and a 35 year career immersed in scientific matters, I do not find your analysis and exposition of the Bible credible. In other words, I don't believe you, I think you're wrong. That's all.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#128
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Yes you are, that IS obvious and I've said so before, nobody could be as articulate as you are otherwise, but that isn't enough by itself. It doesn't mean you must be right. My point from the beginning has always been that, having read several versions of the Bible and exegetical works about it by people with legitimate scholarly qualifications in the field, notably Dr. Bart Ehrman, and having a university education and a 35 year career immersed in scientific matters, I do not find your analysis and exposition of the Bible credible. In other words, I don't believe you, I think you're wrong. That's all.

I think he's wrong as well, I also think you're wrong, you're an idiot of another kind.

And when I use the word idiot, it's in a friendly way, there's notjing wrong with being a bit slow.
 
Cliffy
+1
#129
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Religion has a meaning, in essence it require a binding back to the origin, you will all remember the power of home if you just surrender to your feelings, forget your rational self, it'/s just thier to test you

Mark Twain was a smartass.

 
darkbeaver
#130
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

There is only one path, you will tread that way, if not this time, then the next, but you will go that way or no way
 
Cliffy
#131
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

I think he's wrong as well, I also think you're wrong, you're an idiot of another kind.

And when I use the word idiot, it's in a friendly way, there's notjing wrong with being a bit slow.

In the end, it matters not what others think or believe because it is you who controls your universe, it does not control you. That is true of each and every one. There is no smart or dumb. just different perspectives.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#132
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

In the end, it matters not what others think or believe because it is you who controls your universe, it does not control you. That is true of each and every one. There is no smart or dumb. just different perspectives.

For sure, it's your apple, we know and respect each other, was it hard did it cost a lot did we bleed, no sir a fukkin smile and a nod sealed the deal, pufft, nice is powerful, when in doubt be nice
 
Dexter Sinister
#133
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

I think he's wrong as well, I also think you're wrong, you're an idiot of another kind.

And when I use the word idiot, it's in a friendly way, there's notjing wrong with being a bit slow.

There is no friendly way to call someone an idiot. Stop pretending you're nice guy. You're not.
 
darkbeaver
#134
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

There is no friendly way to call someone an idiot. Stop pretending you're nice guy. You're not.

Hey sinister, I'm the idiot I keep refering too. Idiot.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

There is no friendly way to call someone an idiot. Stop pretending you're nice guy. You're not.

Sinister, you're a person of potential intelligence, perhaps your children will realize that potential, I'm sure they will

They have every reason to suspect that thier old man was all brain, why we have become advwersarys is because you will not adopt reality,
 
Dexter Sinister
#135
You are an alien mind
 
JLM
#136
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

There is no friendly way to call someone an idiot. Stop pretending you're nice guy. You're not.


Intellectually challenged, perhaps.
 
darkbeaver
#137
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

You are an alien mind

How so Mr Sinister? I cannot imagine how I might be thought of as alien since I am convinced of my terrestrial origin by virtue of my deficiets, what'

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Intellectually challenged, perhaps.

You are a divious old man. I got my eyes on you buddy>
 

Similar Threads

0
An awfully expensive boat ride
by Locutus | Mar 23rd, 2014
2
Boat People
by jellyfish16 | Jun 17th, 2011
no new posts