Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Spade would be pleased.

For the first time since the Vikings sailed, the Icelandic public are worshiping classical Norse gods like Odin, Thor, and Frigg at a public temple built in their honor. "The worship of Odin, Thor, Freya and the other gods of the old Norse pantheon became an officially recognized religion exactly 973 years after Iceland’s official conversion to Christianity."
An Icelandic association called Asatruarfelagid, which promotes faith in the Norse gods and is headed by high-priest Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson, raised sufficient funds and received permission from the government to construct the first such temple in 1,000 years.

Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again | Big Think

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Thanks to the Anglo-Saxons, it is some of these gods which gave the names of some of the days of the week in English.

The Anglo-Saxons, a Germanic race like the Vikings, worshipped some of the same gods as the Vikings. The Viking god Thor was known as Þunor to the Anglo-Saxons (I wish the English language still had the letter Þ, like Icelandic still has); the Viking god Odin was known as Woden to the Anglo-Saxons; Frigg was known as Frige to the Anglo-Saxons; the Viking god Týr was known as Tiw to the Anglo-Saxons.

Þunor , Woden, Frigg and Tiw is where we get Thursday, Wednesday, Friday and Tuesday from.

Of course, none of these gods exist. The only real god is the Christian god.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Thanks to the Anglo-Saxons, it is some of these gods which gave the names of some of the days of the week in English.

The Anglo-Saxons, a Germanic race like the Vikings, worshipped some of the same gods as the Vikings. The Viking god Thor was known as Þunor to the Anglo-Saxons (I wish the English language still had the letter Þ, like Icelandic still has); the Viking god Odin was known as Woden to the Anglo-Saxons; Frigg was known as Frige to the Anglo-Saxons; the Viking god Týr was known as Tiw to the Anglo-Saxons.

Þunor , Woden, Frigg and Tiw is where we get Thursday, Wednesday, Friday and Tuesday from.

Of course, none of these gods exist. The only real god is the Christian god.
Prove it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Right. So prove it. Show evidence that your claim is true.

What makes YHWH any more authentic than Odin?

Because that's what I believe as a Christian.

You believe in Odin and Woden and Frigg and I believe the only god is the Christian god.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Because that's what I believe as a Christian.

You believe in Odin and Woden and Frigg and I believe the only god is the Christian god.
God is not a Christian any more than Jesus was. Buddha was not a Buddhist and Mohamed was not a Muslim. You made a statement of fact when it is only a belief. That you believe that everyone else is wrong and you are right is beyond egotistical bordering on narcissistic.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
God is not a Christian any more than Jesus was. Buddha was not a Buddhist and Mohamed was not a Muslim. You made a statement of fact when it is only a belief. That you believe that everyone else is wrong and you are right is beyond egotistical bordering on narcissistic.

I do believe everyone else (well, non-Christians) is wrong. I don't believe in Wodin or Buddha or Allah or Krishna. As a Christian I only believe in the Christian god. There is no two ways about it.

You believe and worship Wodin or Frigg or Allah or Buddha all you like, mate. You are entitled to your beliefs, but I believe they're false, invented deities.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I do believe everyone else is wrong. I don't believe in Wodin or Buddha or Allah or Krishna. As a Christian I only believe in the Christian god. There is no two ways about it.

You believe and worship Wodin or Frigg or Buddha all you like, mate, but they're false deities.

Buddha was a real person and he never considered himself a deity....

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
lots of hate in this post

No, there isn't. I merely said that I don't give a damn what Buddhists do and don't do. I'm not a Buddhist and I don't have any intention of being one. I'm a Protestant Anglican Christian and only have Protestant Anglican Christian beliefs. There is no Allah, Woden, Odin, Frigg, Krishna - only the Christian God, the one and only - and I don't agree with Catholic idolatry.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh joy! I wonder if they will be bringing back rape, murder, and pillaging as their tenements.

And Cliffy seems to be very excited about a religion that openly encourages warfare.

Hey Cliffy... don't forget to hold your sword next time you down your pills... you could wake up in Valhalla without it!