Orthodox Jewish women driving ban unacceptable

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Leaders of the ultra-Orthodox Belz sect in north London wrote to parents saying "no child will be allowed to learn in our school" if their mother drives.

Women driving "goes against the laws of modesty within our society", it said.

A spokesman from the Belz Community said they were "saddened" by the "misrepresentation" of the notice.

The Home Office said it would be inappropriate to comment on individual cases, adding that the government "believes everyone in this country is equal and everybody is free to lead their lives as they see fit".

The Belz, who originated in Ukraine in the early 19th Century, are an ultra-Orthodox sect who follow Haredi Judaism.

The letter, which was signed from the "spiritual management" of Belz institutions, said: "There has been an increase in incidences of mothers of our students who have begun driving cars, something that goes against the laws of modesty within our society."

This had led to "a lot of exasperation among other parents", it said.

The group's leader in Israel, Rabbi Yissachar Dov Rokeach, had advised that "if a woman is driving a car, she cannot send her children to be educated in Belz institutions", it said.

It added that women with a "specific reason" to drive could submit a request to a special committee.

more

Orthodox Jewish women driving ban unacceptable, says Nicky Morgan - BBC News

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The sequence of taking away the right to complain should have been adopted first, like in that progressive neighbor to the south, Saudi.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Leaders of the ultra-Orthodox Belz sect in north London wrote to parents saying "no child will be allowed to learn in our school" if their mother drives.

Women driving "goes against the laws of modesty within our society", it said.

A spokesman from the Belz Community said they were "saddened" by the "misrepresentation" of the notice.

The Home Office said it would be inappropriate to comment on individual cases, adding that the government "believes everyone in this country is equal and everybody is free to lead their lives as they see fit".

The Belz, who originated in Ukraine in the early 19th Century, are an ultra-Orthodox sect who follow Haredi Judaism.

The letter, which was signed from the "spiritual management" of Belz institutions, said: "There has been an increase in incidences of mothers of our students who have begun driving cars, something that goes against the laws of modesty within our society."

This had led to "a lot of exasperation among other parents", it said.

The group's leader in Israel, Rabbi Yissachar Dov Rokeach, had advised that "if a woman is driving a car, she cannot send her children to be educated in Belz institutions", it said.

It added that women with a "specific reason" to drive could submit a request to a special committee.

more

Orthodox Jewish women driving ban unacceptable, says Nicky Morgan - BBC News
It's time to convert to a conservative Jew

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't hate women who drive. I just disagree with the female-motorist lifestyle being so up in my face all the time. Hate the sin, not the sinner. Whatever women want to drive in the privacy of their own homes is up to them, but don't drive in front of my kids.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why would mothers who don't believe in the same religion as the school want to send their children to that school in the first place?

I didn't agree with teachings of the Catholic Church, so I left it. What's the big deal?