The changing face of religion in Canada

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
When the sad time came to say good-bye to her late husband, Marie Diane Dodd knew a traditional service in a church wasn't the right fit.
So she arranged a ceremony at the family's lakeside summer home outside Ottawa.

It featured John's favourite memories and music, including a guitar riff by Jimi Hendrix.

There were happy photos from summer holidays and sentimental recollections from friends and his children about a life well lived, before it was tragically cut short by liver disease brought on by Hepatitis C.

What wasn't part of the ceremony was any mention of God or religion.

more

Keeping faith: The changing face of religion in Canada - Canada - CBC News

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Funerals are for the deceased survivors mainly. They are free to choose whether they want God mentioned or not.

How is this news? This can't be the first atheist that has died.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Mom had been in a nursing home for 3 years before she passed on. During that time only 1 person from the church that she had attended since 1966 came to visit. My siblings and I decided to have the ceremony at the home, where she had been loved, and cared for. My brother, sister and I led the service and everyone said things had gone well (mind you what were they going to say). After the ceremony all who attended the service went out for supper courtesy of Mom and Dad. We knew that was what Dad would have wanted. Though he passed in 1989, Dad always liked to take care of people and there was enough money left in the estate. We thought that was the was Mom and Dad would have wanted.i

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Except for my Grandfather, all other friends, family, etc who've died have had celebration of life events. I haven't been to a funeral in a very long time.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Mom had been in a nursing home for 3 years before she passed on. During that time only 1 person from the church that she had attended since 1966 came to visit.

Good thing she wasn't Mormon! They would have flooded you with kindness, food, and visits.

Then you'd be all like..... GTFO of here you freaks! If I get one more casserole I'm gonna shove it up your azz!

What wasn't part of the ceremony was any mention of God or religion.

Yeah baby yeah! WOOO HOOOO! Anymore cool stuff like this?

Wait... allow me....

Simon Parcher, an officiant with Humanist Canada, performed the service and says in an increasingly secular world, God is being pushed aside, even in death.

"We don't tell people they'll have life after they die in heaven, but we do tell them they will continue in memories, which they will," says Parcher.

"There's no father up in the sky taking care of things for us," he adds. "We have to take care of ourselves."

The words he chose during the service were designed to bring comfort, he says, but not to suggest there's anything more beyond human existence.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Words of the Hopeless and Dead! Oh spread thee message of darkness and oblivion ye humanists! Let thee snuff out any thought of life... Of thee we do not pray!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What is the difference between a funeral and celebration of life.

Possibly only the name. But in my world funerals have been held in a church with the visit to the grave site. Watching the casket being lowered followed by a reception. There's usually some sobbing involved, lots of black.

Celebration of life is a get together, sometimes the person whom is being celebrated's favourite location or place of significance for them. There is no black morning garb. There is crying, but it's celebrating their life, rather then mourning their death (which is what a funeral feels like to me)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Wakes are usually a big drunk.

How much more do you need to allow grief to play it's role for a period of 30 days. Some people grieve for years and still never get over it and others are so self-centered they do not know how to grieve.

Ec:12:3:
In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble,
and the strong men shall bow themselves,
and the grinders cease because they are few,
and those that look out of the windows be darkened,

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Some people grieve for years and still never get over it and others are so self-centered they do not know how to grieve.

I don't think you ever get over a loved one dying. Especially a parent, a child, or a best friend. You learn to live without them, that's it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think the dead, if they have lived well, go to better places, if they have lived badly they must return. We mourn for our own loss, for our own emptyness at a loved ones passing, for the part of you that was them. Two years ago I held my mothers hand while she died. I felt so happy for her the instant she stopped breathing because I knew she had finally gotten home. She died of alzheimers she had spent the last years of her life desperate to get home before dark. https://www.google.ca/search?q=alzh...ChMIoaO8yMCuyAIVxJUeCh35PgCv&biw=1024&bih=633

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The 'get over' part was referring to grief rather than erasing any memory of them. Why would you want to forget the good things that made you love them in the first place. I would bet an abusive family member isn't grieved at all but tjheir death would come as a relief from the grief they cause when they were alive.

I think the dead, if they have lived well, go to better places, if they have lived badly they must return. We mourn for our own loss, for our own emptyness at a loved ones passing, for the part of you that was them. Two years ago I held my mothers hand while she died. I felt so happy for her the instant she stopped breathing because I knew she had finally gotten home. She died of alzheimers she had spent the last years of her life desperate to get home before dark. https://www.google.ca/search?q=alzh...ChMIoaO8yMCuyAIVxJUeCh35PgCv&biw=1024&bih=633
That certainly would have been the best comfort any dying person could ever get.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The 'get over' part was referring to grief rather than erasing any memory of them. Why would you want to forget the good things that made you love them in the first place. I would bet an abusive family member isn't grieved at all but tjheir death would come as a relief from the grief they cause when they were alive.

Sorry, that's what I meant too. The grief never leaves. Often people tell those who've lost someone close that there's a time limit to grieving and that they need to "move on" or "get over it". It doesn't happen. My best friend passed 5 years ago. It hurts just the same today as it did the day he died as it did the day he told me he was dying. I will miss him always and just as strongly today as 10 years from now.

Same with my dad.

We mourn for our own loss, for our own emptyness at a loved ones passing, for the part of you that was them.

Nicely said, DB. Also, they take that part of you with them.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh Cannucky! How did I offend thee! Did I sadden thee in thy mocking of thy place of darkness and nothing? Does though fear blackness and hath no hope?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
No, your descent to the blackness that is death.

Ec:9:10:
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do,
do it with thy might;
for there is no work,
nor device,
nor knowledge,
nor wisdom,
in the grave,
whither thou goest.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Except for my Grandfather, all other friends, family, etc who've died have had celebration of life events. I haven't been to a funeral in a very long time.

I believe even the 'funerals' I have attended at my church have been called celebrations of life. I think funeral is an outdated term.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No, your descent to the blackness that is death.

Ec:9:10:
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do,
do it with thy might;
for there is no work,
nor device,
nor knowledge,
nor wisdom,
in the grave,
whither thou goest.

Oh... are you judging retard? Are you one of those who say... he goes, she stays.... oh she goes... oh he stays.

I believe even the 'funerals' I have attended at my church have been called celebrations of life. I think funeral is an outdated term.

That is how it is at my church too. Maybe our celebrations of life just offer a bit too much hope and aren't so cool.

"No honey, granpa's life has been snuffed. You will not see him ever again. You can remember him though."

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Oh... are you judging retard? Are you one of those who say... he goes, she stays.... oh she goes... oh he stays.
Not at all, that applies to all people, so does this. When you can't understand a few sentences that makes you the retard BTW.

Ge:2:7:
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
and man became a living soul.

Ec:3:20:
All go unto one place;
all are of the dust,
and all turn to dust again.

Ec:12:7:
Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was:
and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Ec:12:7: Then shall the dust to one the man as who gave man LORD God nostrils soul.

Ec:3:20: All the unto it. turn formed of to place; all living dust, and go dust was: and a all the

Ge:2:7: And shall the of return of the became God unto breathed ground, and the earth life; and into spirit breath it dust the his return areof again.