Same-Sex Interfaith Couples Face Roadblock to Marriage in Judaism

tay
When Julia Spiegelman and Erina Donnelly, two teachers who met as undergraduates at Bryn Mawr, became engaged, they were looking forward to planning a wedding that included elements from both of their religions.

Ms. Spiegelman grew up attending a Reform synagogue in Andover, Mass., and Ms. Donnelly was raised a Roman Catholic.

The two women attend Jewish and Catholic services together, and they had hoped to find marriage officiants from both religions, which they did not think would be difficult. Most non-Orthodox rabbis officiate same-sex weddings, and while they could not expect to find a Catholic priest to officiate, they planned to ask a layperson from Dignity/Boston (external - login to view), a community of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Catholics, to take part.

So one Sabbath morning, they approached the rabbi at their Boston-area synagogue, a liberal congregation unaffiliated with any particular branch of Judaism.

But the rabbi told them that she could not perform the wedding. The problem was not that Ms. Spiegelman wanted to marry a woman it was that she wanted to marry a non-Jewish woman.

more

www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/us...n-judaism.html (external - login to view)

gerryh
+2
and if you take the fact that they are gay out of the equation, they still wouldn't be able to get married by a Catholic Priest and/or a Rabbi.

So the fact that they are Gay is moot.

Sal
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
they can have someone from the Jewish faith marry them...I just attended such a wedding in the fall...she is Catholic he is a Jew...the marriage just isn't performed by a full Rabi but it still recognized as such by the Jews and it's legal...and there were two Jewish men there together dancing up a storm...they are married

the article is much ado over nothing or the two involved are looking to create some type of upheaval so they have an agenda

#juan
+1
Just last week my neighbor's son, who is heterosexual, got married to a local young lady, who is also heterosexual. My wife said they served too much booze but she always says that.........Otherwise, the wedding was completely normal.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Just last week my neighbor's son, who is heterosexual, got married to a local young lady, who is also heterosexual. My wife said they served too much booze but she always says that.........Otherwise, the wedding was completely normal.

abnormal isn't it?

lol

gerryh
+1

If SSM was no big deal, and legal world wide like hetro marriage, then non of this would make the news. Unfortunately, that is not the case. If you notice, the vast majority of these "stories" are outside Canada. Hmmmmm.... wonder why that is?

Ludlow
just eliminate marriage that would solve the problem.

B00Mer

Green Card!!

gopher
+1
shame on that rabbi for being prejudiced - the gals should be allowed to marry without prejudice from any source

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

shame on that rabbi for being prejudiced - the gals should be allowed to marry without prejudice from any source

Really, so you figure that a Catholic priest should be forced to marry a Muslim, or a Buddhist.

BaalsTears
Why don't the two lovebirds compromise by becoming Jehovah's Witnesses?

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Really, so you figure that a Catholic priest should be forced to marry a Muslim, or a Buddhist.

the law is the law - if their relationship is legal and the license has been issued, why shouldn't they be entitled to the ceremony they are willing to pay for ?

of course, they have the right to go to another institution so all is not lost

gerryh
+1

the law is the law - if their relationship is legal and the license has been issued, why shouldn't they be entitled to the ceremony they are willing to pay for ?

of course, they have the right to go to another institution so all is not lost

That's right, they do. You do remember that we all have the right to practice our faith. Correct? Or do you propose that those of Faith should be forced to do things the way YOU think they should be done. Is that what you would prefer? Force others to act and think your way?

gopher
+1

That's right, they do. You do remember that we all have the right to practice our faith. Correct? Or do you propose that those of Faith should be forced to do things the way YOU think they should be done. Is that what you would prefer? Force others to act and think your way?

SSM activists can boycott that institution and its directors will likely change their minds if they find that they are missing out on money.

gerryh

SSM activists can boycott that institution and its directors will likely change their minds if they find that they are missing out on money.

Boycott the Synagogue? Oh Horror.

gopher
+1

Boycott the Synagogue? Oh Horror.

God punishes!

gerryh

God punishes!

So I;ve been told, but that is between them and their God. It has nothing to do with you. Nor do you have the "right".

IF, these 2 actually knew their faith, it would not have been a surprise to them.

gopher
+1
As to one's faith and beliefs, there's an old saying judge not lest ye be judged so I'll just let them live their lives and practice their religion as they see fit.

gerryh

As to one's faith and beliefs, there's an old saying judge not lest ye be judged so I'll just let them live their lives and practice their religion as they see fit.

Bullshyte, you have made it clear that you feel that the Lesbian couple has the right to supercede others rights and force others to go against their beliefs and marry them.

SO, what it comes down to, is that YOU feel that only certain people should be afforded full rights. Those people would be ones that YOU approve of.

gopher
+1
where do you see me saying that the institution should be FORCED to perform this marriage?

as for people's rights, that's up to the law - in that state they have a right to get married - don't know what the law is as to whether an institution can be compelled to perform the ceremony; whether it is or not is up to the law to determine

gerryh

where do you see me saying that the institution should be FORCED to perform this marriage?

as for people's rights, that's up to the law - in that state they have a right to get married - don't know what the law is as to whether an institution can be compelled to perform the ceremony; whether it is or not is up to the law to determine

and I suppose you would have no problem with a "law" taking away an individuals religious freedom.

gopher
+1
that does not answer my question which is where do you see me saying that the institution should be FORCED to perform this marriage?

gerryh
+1

that does not answer my question which is where do you see me saying that the institution should be FORCED to perform this marriage?

It was clearly implied in what I quoted. Now answer the question.

gopher
+1
you interpreted it that way without any justification for doing so

I leave it up to the law to determine what is legal

gerryh

you interpreted it that way without any justification for doing so

I leave it up to the law to determine what is legal

Really. So you were fine with homosexuals being discriminated against and even jailed when that was the law?

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

When Julia Spiegelman and Erina Donnelly, two teachers who met as undergraduates at Bryn Mawr, became engaged, they were looking forward to planning a wedding that included elements from both of their religions.

Ms. Spiegelman grew up attending a Reform synagogue in Andover, Mass., and Ms. Donnelly was raised a Roman Catholic.

The two women attend Jewish and Catholic services together, and they had hoped to find marriage officiants from both religions, which they did not think would be difficult. Most non-Orthodox rabbis officiate same-sex weddings, and while they could not expect to find a Catholic priest to officiate, they planned to ask a layperson from Dignity/Boston (external - login to view), a community of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Catholics, to take part.

So one Sabbath morning, they approached the rabbi at their Boston-area synagogue, a liberal congregation unaffiliated with any particular branch of Judaism.

But the rabbi told them that she could not perform the wedding. The problem was not that Ms. Spiegelman wanted to marry a woman it was that she wanted to marry a non-Jewish woman.

more

www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/us...n-judaism.html (external - login to view)

Wow, okay, so I think the lesson learned here is.....when one doesn't get one's way it should serve as a rallying cry of injustice? Yeah, maybe not.

There are chaplains who offer interfaith services, individuals who are well versed in the traditions of many different religious beliefs who can and will officiate at weddings of interfaith couples. Of course, that wouldn't generate headlines......

gopher
+1

Really. So you were fine with homosexuals being discriminated against and even jailed when that was the law?

Can't speak for Canada but in the USA we have the Constitution and the equal protection clause - that's the law under all circumstances.

gerryh

Can't speak for Canada but in the USA we have the Constitution and the equal protection clause - that's the law under all circumstances.

Oh? are you saying Homosexuals were not discriminated against? Are you saying they weren't jailed?

gopher
+1

Oh? are you saying Homosexuals were not discriminated against? Are you saying they weren't jailed?

I am saying they were not protected under EPC and that was clearly unconstitutional.