Orthodox Jewish men keep delaying flights by refusing to sit next to women

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A flight from New York to Tel Aviv was delayed by half an hour last week after a group of male ultra-Orthodox Jewish passengers refused to sit next to women, the third such incident in recent months.

The cabin crew on the Delta flight out of John F. Kennedy Airport tried to find seats for the men, but were met with refusal by other passengers, some of whom who took a dim view of the reasoning behind the request.

The incident took place on Delta flight 468 on 20 December, the Israeli publication The Times of Israel reports. An American passenger ultimately switched seats with the men.

This is the third widely reported incident in the last few months in which ultra-Orthodox Jewish men have delayed a flight by asking to be segregated from women.

On the eve of the Jewish festival Rosh Hashana in October, a flight, also between New York and Tel Aviv, was delayed by an hour after a group of Haredim refused to sit next to women.

In this case, passengers ultimately left the plane before take-off.

A month earlier in September an El Al flight descended into an “11-hour long nightmare” after a group of Haredi Jewish passengers refused to sit next to women.

In the UK, the ultra-Orthadox Jewish community in Stamford Hill, north London, was recently criticised after signs requesting women to walk on a certain side of the street were erected, promoting segregation for a Torah parade.

more

Groups of ultra-Orthodox Jewish men keep delaying flights by refusing to sit next to women - World - News - The Independent

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A flight from New York to Tel Aviv was delayed by half an hour last week after a group of male ultra-Orthodox Jewish passengers refused to sit next to women, the third such incident in recent months.

The cabin crew on the Delta flight out of John F. Kennedy Airport tried to find seats for the men, but were met with refusal by other passengers, some of whom who took a dim view of the reasoning behind the request.

The incident took place on Delta flight 468 on 20 December, the Israeli publication The Times of Israel reports. An American passenger ultimately switched seats with the men.

This is the third widely reported incident in the last few months in which ultra-Orthodox Jewish men have delayed a flight by asking to be segregated from women.

On the eve of the Jewish festival Rosh Hashana in October, a flight, also between New York and Tel Aviv, was delayed by an hour after a group of Haredim refused to sit next to women.

In this case, passengers ultimately left the plane before take-off.

A month earlier in September an El Al flight descended into an “11-hour long nightmare” after a group of Haredi Jewish passengers refused to sit next to women.

In the UK, the ultra-Orthadox Jewish community in Stamford Hill, north London, was recently criticised after signs requesting women to walk on a certain side of the street were erected, promoting segregation for a Torah parade.

more

Groups of ultra-Orthodox Jewish men keep delaying flights by refusing to sit next to women - World - News - The Independent

I have a problem with this. They are using a public airline and holding it hostage for private treatment.

I'd give up my seat no problem. My next flight is free or I'm not moving.

that's best case scenario for me...in reality I'd like just give up my seat...this seems wrong to me on multiple levels.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I have a problem with this. They are using a public airline and holding it hostage for private treatment.

I'd give up my seat no problem. My next flight is free or I'm not moving.

that's best case scenario for me...in reality I'd like just give up my seat...this seems wrong to me on multiple levels.

I have a problem with that too. And I'm really surprised at their 'sidewalk' request.........

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have a problem with that too. And I'm really surprised at their 'sidewalk' request.........
yes I'd like to say I am....I admit that I breezed over that with a..."yeah" said in my head only because it conjured up some vague memory that never came to the forefront of my brain but gave me that feeling of familiarity that this was not unusual

extremism...

the women used to shave their heads and wear wigs

maybe still do

I remember there being a big upheaval about the wailing wall and I don't think the women can pray at it or something...

orthodoxy and equality...they don't live side by side

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I was putting in some furniture for a Jewish couple down in Tucson awhile back. Headboard and accessories for the master bedroom. Had to wait for the electrician to move an outlet before we could complete the job. As I was waiting I could not help but notice a print on the wall. I guess the only way to describe it , would be that it was a pledge between a husband and a wife. That they would learn together, grow together and be devoted to each other as equal partners in life. They call this tradition a word which starts with a K but right now I can't seem to recall the word. As I read these words and considered my position as a divorcee, I gotta admit I had to step outside for awhile. Maybe the sentiment expressed in this thread does indicate a second class distinction of women among this strand of Judaism. But that print I read on the wall contradicts this idea. Anyways, have a happy New
Year everyone.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I was putting in some furniture for a Jewish couple down in Tucson awhile back. Headboard and accessories for the master bedroom. Had to wait for the electrician to move an outlet before we could complete the job. As I was waiting I could not help but notice a print on the wall. I guess the only way to describe it , would be that it was a pledge between a husband and a wife. That they would learn together, grow together and be devoted to each other as equal partners in life. They call this tradition a word which starts with a K but right now I can't seem to recall the word. As I read these words and considered my position as a divorcee, I gotta admit I had to step outside for awhile. Maybe the sentiment expressed in this thread does indicate a second class distinction of women among this strand of Judaism. But that print I read on the wall contradicts this idea. Anyways, have a happy New
Year everyone.
were they Orthodox Jews?

there are many sects and various beliefs just like there are within the Christian groups

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why the hell would they, or anyone else, have to delay a flight? Was this "condition" not capable of being mentioned when the flight was booked?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I always wonder seeing stories like this just how different they are from Extremist Muslims and Extremist Christians.

I see no difference.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Why the hell would they, or anyone else, have to delay a flight? Was this "condition" not capable of being mentioned when the flight was booked?

Yes wasn't it? But that would have prevented the scene. Was the flight or the scene the purchase? How does the monster anti semitism land in our villages?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
yes I'd like to say I am....I admit that I breezed over that with a..."yeah" said in my head only because it conjured up some vague memory that never came to the forefront of my brain but gave me that feeling of familiarity that this was not unusual

extremism...

the women used to shave their heads and wear wigs

maybe still do

I remember there being a big upheaval about the wailing wall and I don't think the women can pray at it or something...

orthodoxy and equality...they don't live side by side
I remember when women had to cover their heads to go in an R.C. church and men had to remove their hat....now women can wear whatever they want (within reason)....and with all the evolution of the church.....it is slowly shrinking.....while all the fanatical sects of different religions seem to be growing....
Could the R.C. church be going the wrong way?
Are the faithful actually looking for more guidance instead of less?
I only have questions and no real answer to that one...

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Fundamentalism has little to do with religion and more to do with a fear of modernity. Religion is just the tool.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yes I'm aware of that thank you.
okay I was just trying to do some research to find out what it was called and to see if the script was poetic or talmud because I was interested but we can just leave it

I remember when women had to cover their heads to go in an R.C. church and men had to remove their hat....now women can wear whatever they want (within reason)....and with all the evolution of the church.....it is slowly shrinking.....while all the fanatical sects of different religions seem to be growing....
Could the R.C. church be going the wrong way?
Are the faithful actually looking for more guidance instead of less?
I only have questions and no real answer to that one...
I remember forgetting the class was going to mass thus not having a hat and being forced to wear a Kleenex on my head...

your observations of fanatical sects growing and some of the more open churches shrinking would seem to be true.

I don't know what that is about either...that might be a good thread for a discussion though because it does raise a lot of questions

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I suspect you'd have no problem with it were they Muslims rather than Jews.
no I would still have a problem with it

when the old Reitman brothers used to fly (Orthodox Jews) I don't recall planes leaving late because of needing special seating and their family is kosher thus they could not eat the airline meals, they used to bring their own food aboard not expect the airline to cater

when people live in a world that is this fast paced one can not expect the world to accommodate every need and whim, some balance has to be struck by all...it's possible but not with extremists

I rightly suspect that you wrongly suspect that I suspect wrong.
but it's only the first day of the year and indeed...oops