Why are Atheists so intolerant of Theists.....

DaSleeper
Most especially of Christians.......

What is Intolerance? What is Tolerance? What Does it Mean to be Intolerant? Many Christians Have a Double Standard in their Demands for More Tolerance (external - login to view)

...... while giving other religions a pass especially islam and ....also tagging anyone criticising islam as islamophobes ........

lone wolf
+1
Is intolerance of Theists ... or preachers?

Goober
Something my Father taught me.
Never, never make fun of a mans wife,Religion or politics.

Now on a Thread I can see 2 of these point being somewhat open for some slinging back and forth.
When it gets really ignorant, well, just ruins a thread.

Next- Would Members be so Gall Damned rude in a face to face conversation. Doubt it.

petros
+1
F*ck the Hindus!

Walter
I pray for all of them

Goober
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

F*ck the Hindus!

You are going to be real busy.
About 1 Billion of them.

You will need a lube job.

SLM
+2
Some people have a 'live and let live' attitude and others don't. (Some may think they do, but in reality they don't because they're really far too judgemental for that.) Some will listen politely as you state your thoughts, digest what you're saying and try to understand where you are coming from. Others they just can't wait to be able to tell you how wrong you are.

None of these attributes are culturally based, religious based, gender based, etc.....it all varies by the individual. I just figure that I'll try to engage and converse with those who take the time to listen, and I'll take the time to listen to them. Everybody else I basically try to ignore.

(Unless they're really ignorant and rude, then I'll tell 'em off. )

darkbeaver
+1
Judge not lest yea be judged. I wish adults would make up their minds. If we're not allowed to judge won't we get in with a bad crowd. Today we should tolerate the intolerable, same thing. New improved bad advice.

WLDB
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Is intolerance of Theists ... or preachers?

Indeed. The ones who try to push it on others are the ones I have a problem with. Even the most vocal of the "new atheists" like Hitchens and Dawkins have drawn that line. Don't try to force it on others and don't try to force it on others or put in in the science class. Im fine with having religion and philosophy classes but they should be separate from science.

When it comes to Christians - the majority of the very vocal religious people here just happen to be Christians. I was raised Catholic and it wasnt very pleasant. Left a rather bad taste in my mouth. If I had been raised by Muslims in a country predominantly Muslims I imagine the effect would have been similar. I don't blame all Christians for my experiences or have a problem with Christians in general. I have a problem with Christians who force it on others. Muslims too, or Hindus, any of them really.

Historically speaking up until relatively recently a person could be killed or imprisoned for being an atheist. That is still the case in some parts of the world. I would call that intolerance. So some atheists are vocal and say some stupid things from time to time, no one is stopping any religious person from practicing their religion.

Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Something my Father taught me.
Never, never make fun of a mans wife,Religion or politics.

Personally im fine with making fun of anything or having anything about me made fun of in the right situation. When it comes to a thread like this, probably not. Constructive criticism or debate on the other hand is very different from making fun of something. Though some people do not know the difference.

gopher
+3 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Most especially of Christians.......

What is Intolerance? What is Tolerance? What Does it Mean to be Intolerant? Many Christians Have a Double Standard in their Demands for More Tolerance (external - login to view)

...... while giving other religions a pass especially islam and ....also tagging anyone criticising islam as islamophobes ........

... and presumably tagging anyone who criticizes zionism as antisemitic.

BaalsTears
+2 / -1
I'm an atheist. Zealotry comes in many forms. Some atheists are as zealous as the most zealous Christians, Muslims, or other believers. I suspect that the atheists who are zealots are seeking some form of validation. That's too bad. Imo quiet acceptance of oblivion should be enough.

L Gilbert
+4
I don't think I'm intolerant of people .... just the irrational stuff they fall for. People may test my patience at times, however.

Cliffy
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I don't think I'm intolerant of people .... just the irrational stuff they fall for. People may test my patience at times, however.

Wasn't it one of the Peanuts gang that said (something like) I love humanity. It is people I can't stand.

Spade
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I don't think I'm intolerant of people .... just the irrational stuff they fall for.

Elmer Gantry final scene - YouTube

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Wasn't it one of the Peanuts gang that said (something like) I love humanity. It is people I can't stand.

lol Yep. It was Charlie Schultz. Specifically, he wrote; "I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand!"

talloola
+6
some people are intolerant of other people, one can't generalize if they are religious, atheists or
anything else, it just takes all kinds to live on this earth, i would think that if you questioned
individuals within most 'groups', you would find quite a mixture of different acceptances, intolerances,
those who couldn't care less, and on and on.

i am an atheist, and i accept people who are religious or non religious, as long as they are
not rude, mean, liars, or smell awful.

L Gilbert
"We all decry prejudice, yet are all prejudiced." - Herbert Spencer

El Barto
+3
You have to look past what that person thinks and believes , it is just a shield or an excuse to use to be what he truly is , an A hole.
Those who are tolerant are so by nature and the come from all walks of life, the problem with that is they are quiet about it and can't really be counted in numbers. Those that are intolerant make themselves know pretty clearly and they too come from many and different beliefs. It is for those one tends to use a wide brush for.

wulfie68
+7
#19  Top Rated Post
Many Christians would probably lump me in with the atheists, as I don't hesitate to say I am not a religious person and not Christian, even though I was raised in a moderately devout Lutheran family. I am a theist agnostic: I don't know what gods exist but there is too much in this universe for me to explain without accepting the possibility they may be there.

I am not about to nay-say anyone, except when their beliefs threaten to trample me and mine. I find evangelical theists and atheists equally obnoxious but one primary difference is I don't see very many atheists trying to undercut science with ridiculous "theories" of their own, and demanding equal play time in front of impressionable youth and especially my kid. I don't want your religion pushed on my kid: thats my choice, not yours (and TBH I am sending my son to a catholic school simply because it offers the best education in the area).

SLM
+1
There is a rigidity to some people and their views, we've all experienced that. And I think because we've all experienced that, there are also those who also enter into any discussion on certain topics (religion, politics, etc) more or less in an offensive position, as in the best defense is a good offense kind of thing. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they don't realize they're doing that but a lot of times they are. It's kind of the antithesis of 'discussion' to do so, in my opinion. Conversely, I've also seen a fair number of members, past and present, that seem to be of the notion that any religious discussion should be limited to the ability to talk back and forth with like minded individuals or that one of the sub-forums of a sub-forum on a general discussion forum is the right place to preach for some kind of conversion.

I guess the bottom line is, people may often think they're discussing something but their lack of interest, willingness or perhaps ability to listen just makes for a lot of one sided speeches.

mentalfloss
You are asking why a minority group who has been treated unfairly in the past has a bone to pick.

The answer is pretty obvious.

It's the same for racism, chauvinism, homophobia.

The blowback is inevitable, but it will calm down as more people begin to drop religious institutions on practical grounds rather than theoretical grounds.

When people begin to realize that you don't need a religion to be a morally good person, or that it really doesn't matter much if there is some guy up there that started all this.

It will be a slow, gradual shift, but atheists don't even need to put up a fight because society will keep getting smacked in the face with natural realities that are incompatible with a dependency on religion.
Last edited by mentalfloss; Jan 31st, 2014 at 07:41 AM..

EagleSmack
Hey that's the new buzz MF.... Atheism with morality.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

You are asking why a minority group who has been treated unfairly in the past has a bone to pick.

The answer is pretty obvious.

It's the same for racism, chauvinism, homophobia.

The blowback is inevitable, but it will calm down as more people begin to drop religious institutions on practical grounds rather than theoretical grounds.

You mean as religios quit trying to force their religions down other people's throats.

Quote:

When people begin to realize that you don't need a religion to be a morally good person, or that it really doesn't matter much if there is some guy up there that started all this.

I doubt it.

"If we did a good act merely from love of God and a belief that it is pleasing to Him, whence arises the morality of the Atheist? ...Their virtue, then, must have had some other foundation than the love of God."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Thomas Law, June 13, 1814

Getting on for 200 years and still gnawing that same old bone.

Quote:

It will be a slow, gradual shift, but atheists don't even need to put up a fight because society will keep getting smacked in the face with natural realities that are incompatible with a dependency on religion.

Back to TJ:

"What is it men cannot be made to believe!"
-Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, April 22, 1786.

mentalfloss
I'm not sure what your point was other than people will ultimately decide their fate?

I'm just saying that people will inevitably choose to forsake a belief in god on the grounds that they will realize such a belief is unnecessary for them to do the right thing. This will take another few hundred years, in my opinion, but we will eventually get there.

EagleSmack

I'm not sure what your point was other than people will ultimately decide their fate?

I'm just saying that people will inevitably choose to forsake a belief in god on the grounds that they will realize such a belief is unnecessary for them to do the right thing. This will take another few hundred years, in my opinion, but we will eventually get there.

I am thinking you are wrong. Hopeful but wrong.

I am sorry you have no faith at all (or in anything) MF. You're a good guy.

Tecumsehsbones
+2

I doubt it. There will always be people, probably most of them, who are so unable to think for themselves or afraid to do so that they'll sign on to any notion, however preposterous, that makes them feel special.

mentalfloss
Well, to be fair, the belief in something like this can foster hope and communal co-operation. That's why I could be described more as a benevolent atheist and think that something like the Superhaedron Collider as a way to convert theorists is a fruitless endeavour.

But I do also feel that giving up our reliance on this paternal figure can foster some real gains.

Okay, hippy feely moment over now.

I need a shower.

EagleSmack

Well, to be fair, the belief in something like this can foster hope and communal co-operation. That's why I could be described more as a benevolent atheist and think that something like the Superhaedron Collider as a way to convert theorists is a fruitless endeavour.

But I do also feel that giving up our reliance on this paternal figure can foster some real gains.

Okay, hippy feely moment over now.

I need a shower.

Not having any faith in anything... can foster communal cooperation? I am not buying that for a moment.

Locutus
+3
As obvious (and lame perhaps) as it is, the slogan 'Live and Let Live' would go a very long way indeed towards a better world.

But that's just kooky thinking.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

As obvious (and lame perhaps) as it is, the slogan 'Live and Let Live' would go a very long way indeed towards a better world.

But that's just kooky thinking.

I didn't realize you were an old hippy.