Why are Atheists so intolerant of Theists.....

coldstream
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

lol Atheism is irrational? That's a particularly irrational comment. Basing a system upon what is probably fictional beings, like gods, tinkerbells, and hobbits is most certainly rational. Believing in things despite there being no evidence for them is reasonable. Disbelieving things because of a complete lack of evidence supporting them is irrational. Holy sheepsh|t, Batman, you are freaking funny! lmao sorry, dude, but it isn't me that's miserable. To me, life is fun and something to enjoy without having to be threatened by some idiotic judgement day. I don't need to be threatened with some hell in order to be a good person; I just prefer to be good on my own volition. I can accept that others are not like me and don't follow the same code.
As you pointed out, there's more reason to believe in Santa Claus than your gods n gremlins. There's evidence for his existence.

Right irrational. With out an origin or destination.. without a pattern or grammar or reference point onto which a rational structure can adhere.. everything devolves into a subjective, amorphous, relativistic swamp of superstition.

One of the great deceptions of atheism is that its proponents see everything with a clarity unburdened by the 'invisible' and therefor nonexistent supernatural sphere. What really happens is atheism becomes a free floating sophistry, a closed, solely self-referenced solitude.. utterly illogical. This now defines such pseudo sciences as modern cosmology.. as well as the occult systems you referenced. All of them are products of atheism

GK Chesterton, the great Catholic journalist and novelist of the early 20th Century, rightly asserted that those who choose to believe in Nothing.. end up believing in Anything.

And if you are so happy and confident in your (dis)Belief, LG, one wonders why you become so defensive and discombobulated by the notion of a God.. it seems that you are far more threatened by the prospect of a 'Judgement Day' than I am.
Last edited by coldstream; Feb 1st, 2014 at 01:51 PM..

L Gilbert
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

This is such a flaw that goes miles above a religious mind set. To think some one has no God in their life they are lost an immoral yet everything they do is to 'please' their god? It is the Christian thing to do? Wouldn't it have way more meaning to do good for the sake of doing good , because you found it in your heart to do good then to do it for some other reason?

Why did you do this good deed?
--- Because I was told to.
or
--- Because I felt it in my heart it was the best thing to do.

Which has more depth and meaning?

There may be an unsaid fear about atheists, for there is nothing restricting how they should think and fear. Hell life has its own baggage's who needs to add more to it?

The reason why I do not believe in the concept of god is that you always hear what he is about through the word of man...... how many times have we were steered wrong by that? The moment you first hear about that the feeling a fear sets in. There are so many unseen things to fear, what to do?

The concept of God right off the bat separates you. You are meant to be nothing , not worthy, shame, for what? Being human? Being born? No , I do not buy this. Someone is always around to tell you how it should be.... yeah right , my trust in humanity and how it thinks is in an all time low.
For those who think this is our life and when it is done that is it ! I don't buy that too. If you base your thoughts on science no energy is ever lost, it is just transformed into something else.... wouldn't that be possible with the consciousness also?

Creation or the big bang.... bottom line we all came from the same source. Our elements that make our bodies are renewed , recycled by the ingestion of the elements around us, elements that are form of energy and that energy that was always around.

Believing in something is a choice, if that choice imprisons you to think and make you feel in a certain way as to discriminate, ridicule, and hate your fellow man/ woman, then maybe just maybe it is just flawed to the core. There is so much to explore about the world and the universe, it is wide open to the things we can add to our knowledge, so why funnel a mind into a very narrow form of thinking?

hhmmm It's a bit scary to me that I just thought how much knowledge and understanding could have been gained by humans if their minds had been open to accept discoveries that challenged the dogmas of religions. EG, would those researchers that found the building blocks of life on meteorite fragments that landed here on Earth gone any farther if they had been religionists? Or would they have killed the information because it challenged the religious idea of creation of life here? We may not have been introduced to the idea that those bits of protein and RNA and stuff actually were what created life on this planet.
Anyway, politics and religion to me, generate and harbor ignorance or at least have the potential to do so.

Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Right irrational. With out an origin or destination.. without a pattern or grammar or reference point onto which a rational structure can adhere.. everything devolves into a subjective, amorphous, relativistic swamp of superstition.

Nah. It only seems like that to you. The superstition here originates with humans' tendency to blame everything we don't understand on some god or other. Science shows us the basis of the universe is real and laws (the REAL natural laws) govern everything in it. So cling desperately to your imaginary father figure if you wish, but it isn't reason that causes you to cling to it.

Quote:

One of the great deceptions of atheism is that its proponents see everything with a clarity unburdened by the 'invisible' and therefor nonexistent supernatural sphere. What really happens is atheism becomes a free floating sophistry, a closed, solely self-referenced solitude.. utterly illogical. This now defines such pseudo sciences as modern cosmology.. as well as the occult systems you referenced. All of them are products of atheism

lmao Sorry, but the occult beliefs, beliefs in the invisible, nonexistent, and intangible are the purvues of the faithful. Indeed, why would they need faith if they knew their gremlins were real?

Quote:

GK Chesterton, the great Catholic journalist and novelist of the early 20th Century, rightly asserted that those who choose to believe in Nothing.. end up believing in Anything.

He's probably right.Personally, I believe in reality and the spirit of science to keep humanity from the depths of ignorance. And I would believe in anything if this anything followed the laws of the universe.

Quote:

And if you are so happy and confident in your (dis)Belief, LG, one wonders why you become so defensive and discombobulated by the notion of a God.. it seems that you are far more threatened by the prospect of a 'Judgement Day' than I am.

It's not me that's discombobulated, pilgrim. But yes, I will defend science and reality against ignorance, irrationality, and foolishness.

So keep lying to yourself and others that your fictions are real and logical. Keep believing in the supernatural and inexplicable. It's entertaining and keeps drawing me back to point out the inconsistencies and fallibilities.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Feb 1st, 2014 at 04:20 PM..

Ludlow
+1
Everyone is intolerant of everyone. I'm intolerant of people who don't know how to drive and talk on their cell phone while doing so. We're all intolerant of each other to one degree or another.

B00Mer
Bill Maher - Religulous (external - login to view)

Why would you believe in santa claus? One man hitting up every house in the world dropping presents down the chimney, come on thats ridiculous why would you believe that, but one man that can hear a million people murmuring to him at the same time, I get that.

How do we believe in something that resembles a fairytale like story. A talking snake, come on! Why doesn't god just come down and obliterate the devil and get rid of evil, "he will", what is he waiting for then?

I just watched Bill Maher's documentary 'Religulous', and I'd have to say "I don't know." I agree though. I liked the movie. You have to watch it.

Worth the watch for all you religious nut bars on this forum.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

F*ck the Hindus!

And the rast as s fer air eons............or something.

Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Your mother should have taught your the critiquing spelling and grammar on the web is very poor Netiquette, bones... apparently one of many things that was left out in your upbringing.

Damn, I do that too. I apologize to all CC'ers and promise not to do it again, as it is poor Netiquette. Seriously. Where the fu*k do I get off doing sh*t like that.

(only when I do it I'm trying to be half as sed funny.)

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

IN some ways it is no different than believing in Karma. Do good and good will come your way. Experience has taught me that no good dead goes unpunished.

If you did that on purpose it's pretty goddam funny Tax. If not, well I did promise.

fukk! Never break a promise boys and girls. Santa won't come, and he'll get blue balls.

Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

As obvious (and lame perhaps) as it is, the slogan 'Live and Let Live' would go a very long way indeed towards a better world.

But that's just kooky thinking.

Yah, you'd have to be a real sick bastard to believe that eh !

Angstrom
+1
The only problem with religious people I have is that they are simple minded. Just like children they believe in anything.

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Bill Maher - Religulous (external - login to view)

Why would you believe in santa claus? One man hitting up every house in the world dropping presents down the chimney, come on thats ridiculous why would you believe that, but one man that can hear a million people murmuring to him at the same time, I get that.

How do we believe in something that resembles a fairytale like story. A talking snake, come on! Why doesn't god just come down and obliterate the devil and get rid of evil, "he will", what is he waiting for then?

I just watched Bill Maher's documentary 'Religulous', and I'd have to say "I don't know." I agree though. I liked the movie. You have to watch it.

Worth the watch for all you religious nut bars on this forum.

It is one thing denouncing religion but you are in the same boat as the religious if you are trying to convert them.
Didn't you know , you never convert anyone on the net. That is because you are always think you are right and just and everyone not.
That goes pretty much for everyone

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

It is one thing denouncing religion but you are in the same boat as the religious if you are trying to convert them.

Didn't you know , you never convert anyone on the net. That is because you are always think you are right and just and everyone not.

That goes pretty much for everyone

HUH!? I ain't trying to convert anyone.. I said they should watch the video, not to change their religion.

It's an interesting video.. I was born Protestant. Not a big church goer myself.. have Catholics and Atheists in my family..

Bill Maher is a comedian and he is very interesting to watch.. I don't agree 100% with everything he says..

El Barto
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

HUH!? I ain't trying to convert anyone.. I said they should watch the video, not to change their religion.

It's an interesting video.. I was born Protestant. Not a big church goer myself.. have Catholics and Atheists in my family..

Bill Maher is a comedian and he is very interesting to watch.. I don't agree 100% with everything he says..

It sounded like that to me.
and I watch Bill ..... ummm religiously

Ludlow
+1
I've met very few people who don't have a problem admitting they are wrong about something. I'm that way sometimes but lately I'm thinking that I don't know **** . I think I'm beginning to be intolerant of know it all types including myself.